Grasshoppers eating my cage plants!

At this very high rate, the absorption of a pesticide is more dangerous than swallowing it! Oral exposure may result in serious illness, severe injury, or even death, if a pesticide is swallowed.

This is for human

At this very high rate, the absorption of a pesticide is more dangerous than swallowing it! Oral exposure may result in serious illness, severe injury, or even death, if a pesticide is swallowed.

This is for humans
Can you give me one example that a chameleon has been harmed. There is no proof.

What happened to your first argument of parasites... Zero data and now you're only argument is pesticides again with zero examples of a chameleon definitively dying from pesticide buildup due to wild feeders. Respect your elders kid.
I have to eat lunch then I will find a source but ur only agurment is find data prove it why don’t u prove it and find no sources of them dieing. Yes I agree with respect ur elders but also one person doesn’t know everything and everyone learns something new everyday so… just wait till I find a source after lunch

I have to eat lunch then I will find a source but ur only agurment is find data prove it why don’t u prove it and find no sources of them dieing. Yes I agree with respect ur elders but also one person doesn’t know everything and everyone learns something new everyday so… just wait till I find a source after lunc

I have to eat lunch then I will find a source but ur only agurment is find data prove it why don’t u prove it and find no sources of them dieing. Yes I agree with respect ur elders but also one person doesn’t know everything and everyone learns something new everyday so… just wait till I find a source after lunch

My proof is in my 20 years experience of doing this with no effects other than positive ones. I have been keeping chameleons longer than you have been alive according to your profile and it's disrespectful to hijack my thread about bugs eating my plants.

My proof is in my 20 years experience of doing this with no effects other than positive ones. I have been keeping chameleons longer than you have been alive according to your profile and it's disrespectful to hijack my thread about bugs eating my plants.
U gave info that I disagreed with I did not hijack ur thread if someone post a thread saying everything’s good with this chameleon and they attach a photo of a really bad glass aquarium on its side it’s 10 gallon has wood chips no light and one stick them ur going to tell them how to fix it that’s exactly what I did with ur thread just a different situation I’m trying to be nice and ur being rude so I’m not going to provide any more evidence bc we both respectfully have different opinions and that’s okay and clearly I’m being the bigger person by just ending this convo

OMG ok yall @DonKeesh is a keeper that is experienced!!!!!

Sometimes stopping and listening is a very important skill in this hobby. No one knows it all. While in the forum you will often hear not to feed WC bugs it is because of the people that would just go outside and grab anything not thinking about the area they live in or even what they bug they are feeding.

Wild caught feeders...

IF YOU LIVE in areas that spray pesticides or the middle of the city say LA, NY, Chicago then wild caught feeders may not be safe... There is always a risk of pesticide exposure.

IF YOU LIVE in an area where you and your neighbors do not spray and either does the city then this lowers risk. Or if you go out to the middle of no where to collect your insects where humans are not living risk is extremely low. Wild caught feeders can be healthy. The chance of a parasite cross contaminating the cham is unlikely and the risk of pesticide exposure is low. Also wild caught feeders have been under natural UVB.. Exposed to natural calcium, pollen, etc.

I respectfully disagree. If you can provide any evidence that this assertion is true I will agree. Bill Strand relies on wild feeders.
Absolutely agree with you. One of those things people pass around with no real proof. My chams always ate tons of WC. My Parsons lives outdoors all summer and most of his diet is random insects that wander in his cage.

Absolutely agree with you. One of those things people pass around with no real proof. My chams always ate tons of WC. My Parsons lives outdoors all summer and most of his diet is random insects that wander in his cage.
I think it is something that really clicks when you start keeping outdoors and want to aim for a more naturalistic approach. And yes they eat all kinds of things that find their way into the enclosure including garden snails.
PXL_20210829_210811716.jpg

I think it is something that really clicks when you start keeping outdoors and want to aim for a more naturalistic approach. And yes they eat all kinds of things that find their way into the enclosure including garden snails.View attachment 309132

Absolutely, even my indoor enclosures are full of life. Planted bioactive, loads of insects in the soil. A lot of the branches and leaves I'd add were straight from outside. I personally think living like this with wild feeders is stimulating and meaningful to chameleons.

Absolutely, even my indoor enclosures are full of life. Planted bioactive, loads of insects in the soil. A lot of the branches and leaves I'd add were straight from outside. I personally think living like this with wild feeders is stimulating and meaningful to chameleons.
The feeding response on wild prey or insects they don't see frequently is amazing! They run across the cage to a taste of something new.

Here’s from a cf

There is potential risk to using wild caught insects. Parasites, pesticides, and one that if often overlooked - the bug may have eaten something good for it but BAD for chamelones (like tomatoe leaves)
These are both misunderstood. Pesticides kill fast. There is no use in a pesticide that allows a insect to continue eating for days. So don't feed dead bugs, also consider where we live. Don't count on micro data. It is accurate but you are missing that it is trace amounts like all the other toxins we create.
Parasites are usually host specific so low risk, but not 0. However just like living in the wild a healthy cham will not be affected. It is when the are unhealthy or stressed that the parasites seem too grow. So there are far more benefits than risks, particularly when you consider that most parasite infestations in CB animals come from store bought feeders.

Back
Top Bottom