Grasshoppers as feeders

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've started using grasshoppers for feeders. I definitely love them more than crickets. I received my hoppers on Thursday. Today is Sunday - all of the hoppers are alive. With crickets, they die really fast. Is there any additional information I need. Will they be harder to digest? Can they cause impaction? I feeding 2 hoppers and 1 hornworm every other day.

I've started using grasshoppers for feeders. I definitely love them more than crickets. I received my hoppers on Thursday. Today is Sunday - all of the hoppers are alive. With crickets, they die really fast. Is there any additional information I need. Will they be harder to digest? Can they cause impaction? I feeding 2 hoppers and 1 hornworm every other day.
Hi! I believe they aren’t much different from locust so should be fine! I’m sure someone will know more than me on this topic and they’ll come to your aid but as long as they are supplemented and they should be fine! I’m from the UK and locust are our main feeder and many say they’re the only real feeder that they would eat in the wild as they tend to also be arboreal. I gut load mine with dandelion leaves and apple if that helps, they can live a long time without food but I’d advise always putting something in to keep them hydrated it’s usually dehydration that kills my locust if they ever do die!

I hate crickets 🤣

Hi! I believe they aren’t much different from locust so should be fine! I’m sure someone will know more than me on this topic and they’ll come to your aid but as long as they are supplemented and they should be fine! I’m from the UK and locust are our main feeder and many say they’re the only real feeder that they would eat in the wild as they tend to also be arboreal. I gut load mine with dandelion leaves and apple if that helps, they can live a long time without food but I’d advise always putting something in to keep them hydrated it’s usually dehydration that kills my locust if they ever do die!
My last locusts where over a year old never provided them with water/ gel

I believe locusts and grasshoppers are the same thing, just different terms depending on geographic area.

How large is your chameleon? I would be careful to feed appropriately sized grasshoppers if they are not large, adult chameleons. If they get too big, try to breed them but don’t feed. We break off the rear back legs before feeding adults as their legs are very spiny and they can also have a death grip on the branch or screen causing tongue injury.

I think they are a great feeder, my guys literally run for them! I bought some cheap wheat and rye seed that I sometimes grow in a container and let the grasshoppers munch on some natural grasses in addition to other gut load.

That’s insane, I get mine from a good local pet store and they’re all alive but if you go to a bigger brand pet store like pets at home a lot are dead in the boxes from dehydration. I don’t provide mine with water/gel but they get their water from the plants they eat
That’s insane, I get mine from a good local pet store and they’re all alive but if you go to a bigger brand pet store like pets at home a lot are dead in the boxes from dehydration. I don’t provide mine with water/gel but they get their water from the plants they eat
My adults where in an exoterra paludarium with heat and uv , was pretty cool have babies hatching. I order all my feeders online , didn't suit getting to a shop ,order not in , not many left or as you say a lot dead in the boxes ,

As long as you getting approiate size alls good

Locusts are a type of grasshopper that undergoes a transformation in behavior and appearance when they enter a swarming phase. During this phase, locusts become larger and change color from green to yellow or brown. They also develop longer wings and more powerful hind legs that enable them to fly long distances.

You might like this…

Last edited:
I believe locusts and grasshoppers are the same thing, just different terms depending on geographic area.

How large is your chameleon? I would be careful to feed appropriately sized grasshoppers if they are not large, adult chameleons. If they get too big, try to breed them but don’t feed. We break off the rear back legs before feeding adults as their legs are very spiny and they can also have a death grip on the branch or screen causing tongue injury.

I think they are a great feeder, my guys literally run for them! I bought some cheap wheat and rye seed that I sometimes grow in a container and let the grasshoppers munch on some natural grasses in addition to other gut load.
He is an adult. He's a big boy. He was 232g. He's on a eating reduction plan. I haven’t weighed him recently but the last weight was 214g. I give him 2 medium to large hoppers. I was removing 1 leg. I like the suggestion of removing both legs. Now I will be removing both legs. SIDE NOTE - I noticed that he does not chew his food. Maybe 2 or 3 chomps and down the pipe it goes. Yesterday, he opened his mouth, I saw the tail end of a grasshopper in his throat (it definitely was not chewed). Freaked me completely out. I thought he was going to choke but nope. He didn't seem to have any trouble and went directly for his hornworm.

@kinyonga it's happening!
20230601_115011.jpg
20230601_115353.jpg
Never in my wildest dreams would I allow crickets, roaches, worms, grasshoppers or any of these feeders near me. Here I am today, babysitting grasshoppers as they mature into Locust. The things I have done for this guy! Talking about living outside of your comfort zone.....
20230601_094227.jpg

I don't like bugs ( I like / appreciate all animals) but now I find it quite therapeutic watching my roaches feeding on fresh food when its put in ,I never thought an animal would open my mind so much, to so many things ,plants insects ,owning a cham is truly something on a different level
Absolutely 100% agree! It’s amazing the personal growth these beautiful animals stimulate in us.

Locusts are a type of grasshopper that undergoes a transformation in behavior and appearance when they enter a swarming phase. During this phase, locusts become larger and change color from green to yellow or brown. They also develop longer wings and more powerful hind legs that enable them to fly long distances.

You might like this…

This was very interesting to watch and learn! Thank you for spreading and sharing so much knowledge with us! @kinyonga

20230601_121555.jpg
20230601_121555.jpg

I don't like bugs ( I like / appreciate all animals) but now I find it quite therapeutic watching my roaches feeding on fresh food when its put in ,I never thought an animal would open my mind so much, to so many things ,plants insects ,owning a cham is truly something on a different level
Roaches are ferocious. No problem gut loading roaches, they are ready to eat themselves into a food coma, so your Cham can get all the good nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom