Gracilior breeding behavior

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
My pair of wild caught T. q. gracilior bred every day for ten days in a row. I don't believe they bred yesterday (Day 11) and definitely not today.

When I first introduced them, the male displayed gorgeous yellows, neon yellow/green and minty blues. He stayed those bright colors all day and every day for about a week even when he was separated from the female. As time passed, he seemed to become less interested in breeding and his colors started to tone down. He would still breed willingly and fairly quickly, but there wasn't quite the same gusto. By day Day 10, he was starting to darken and Day 11 and 12 he acted almost afraid of the female when I put them together. Now he is a dark mossy green.

I would say he was quite stressed during this past 10 or 12 days, being on high alert stomping around displaying to everything that moved, including my hand if I put in food. That behavior has now stopped.

She hasn't darkened in the past two days when I've put him in with her, but seemed puffed up and standing a little tall on her legs. I haven't seen him try to court her for two days, and he has basically gone somewhere else in her cage. I've removed him as soon as I saw he wasn't interested.

Is that normal behavior/coloring of the male as the female goes out of being receptive? Or is something else going on like an illness?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom