Gout

Hugh Wahl

So I took in a chameleon from a friend of a friend. What I first thought was MBD turns out to be gout. I've heard that this is very painful for that particular animal. He dosen't really move even when provoked. What should I do? He really looks sad and unhappy.

Gout is indeed very painful, and often difficult to treat. Step one is getting him to a vet who be able to evaluate his condition better and determine what treatments can be done, if any. If he is so painful he won't move you need to consider the quality of life, or lack thereof, for this animal. If he's living in pain he is not going to eat or drink or do anything normal and will waste away in misery. But maybe treatments will help him be more comfortable, only a vet experienced with reptiles can really tell you. Good luck with him.

Gout is indeed very painful, and often difficult to treat. Step one is getting him to a vet who be able to evaluate his condition better and determine what treatments can be done, if any. If he is so painful he won't move you need to consider the quality of life, or lack thereof, for this animal. If he's living in pain he is not going to eat or drink or do anything normal and will waste away in misery. But maybe treatments will help him be more comfortable, only a vet experienced with reptiles can really tell you. Good luck with him.

Thanks, he is in deed in some pain in my opinion, very rarely moves, has to eat with help and needs frequent showers for adequate hydration. I can't imagine that he is happy at all, keeping him alive beyond this point is just selfish on my part. I appreciate your opinion it's hard to make this decision, but I believe it's in the best interest of the chameleon.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is always very difficult to make that decision, but it's the one last comfort we can offer them to stop the pain. I've seen animals in pain from it and my father-in-law has had multiple bouts of gout and he says it's one of the most painful things he has ever experienced in his life (and he's been stabbed before) so I think you're making the right choice. Sorry you couldn't do more for the little guy, it's a shame people don't do the research and thus allow this to happen.

I just recently had my chameleon die from gout. It is extremely painful for them. I agree to get him euthanized :( I wouldn't make him suffer any longer. Gout sucks and I'm sorry you and your chameleon have to go through this :(

I'm sorry to hear that. It is always very difficult to make that decision, but it's the one last comfort we can offer them to stop the pain. I've seen animals in pain from it and my father-in-law has had multiple bouts of gout and he says it's one of the most painful things he has ever experienced in his life (and he's been stabbed before) so I think you're making the right choice. Sorry you couldn't do more for the little guy, it's a shame people don't do the research and thus allow this to happen.

I just recently had my chameleon die from gout. It is extremely painful for them. I agree to get him euthanized :( I wouldn't make him suffer any longer. Gout sucks and I'm sorry you and your chameleon have to go through this :(

Thanks for the support, you guys are pretty cool and making this whole process easier, :eek:

Well is was sure nice of you to take the cham in in the first place. i am sure you will do what is right. I don't know you but you seem to have a big heart. Best of luck to you and your cham whatever your decision may be.

Back
Top Bottom