Gout?

Carloscruz

Avid Member
I have noticed the pastel leg is puffed up could it be gout?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 58
Got this off of a chameleon site

Gout is acid crystals in the joints and other body parts of your chameleon made up of uric acids. These uric acid crystals are sharp and cause inflammation. This can be seen as swellings inside the joints, especially the wrists and ankles of your chameleon. This is very painful for a chameleon, that’s why it will try not to put weight on its legs and will often be seen standing on three legs instead of all four.

Uric acid crystals form because of a high level of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia). There are two possible reasons why uric acid levels are elevated in the blood of a chameleon: one is caused by too much protein in the diet of your chameleon (primary gout) and the other one is kidney failure (secondary gout). Both types of gout have the same symptoms and effects.

The symptoms of gout​

These are the symptoms of gout in chameleons:

• Not standing on one leg (usually one of the hind legs)
  • Swelling of the joints
  • Bumps on the joints
  • Pain when moving
  • Extra agression when touching the chameleons joints
  • Not willing to eat
  • Sometimes excessive drinking
An unhealthy veiled chameleon An unhealthy veiled chameleon. Next to the color and the abnormal skull size you can also notice the thickening of the wrists which could be a sign of gout.

But it could also be maybe a tendon or a bone or a few other things

A fluid test tests for uric acids to tell whether its gout or something else. They take a sample of fluid from the inflamed joint

Hmm, it kinda looks like he may have injured it in some way. It may go away. But I'm no vet so I'm just guessing.

I think it was the way she had her foot position.

Attachments

• 472EDFA5-7DAB-484B-B57C-2116336D2757.jpeg
    472EDFA5-7DAB-484B-B57C-2116336D2757.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 52
  • D207007D-AC0D-45E5-8BEA-160D65431A97.jpeg
    D207007D-AC0D-45E5-8BEA-160D65431A97.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 59
Are you sure its not just the angle and position of the foot? To me that looks normal, its their muscle. Both my panthers have it, especially the adult one. And depending on the position of the foot it changes the appearance, making it look like bigger or smaller "bumb"

Sorry, new here, hope you don't mind.
Seems your cham is OK, :) , but you seemed concerned about gout.
Due to the wonders of genetics, I and my sisters all suffer from gout.
I also knew a guy who had a dog with a rare case of gout.
Due to what I do, I can offer a small bit of insight if you're interested...

Inflammation in a single limb is usually a form of response to trauma or an osteo based arthritis, gout is rare (very rare in animals).
Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acids.
Uric acid buildup is caused by the inability to break down certain proteins in the blood (lack of urease or argonase enzymes), or by a kidney problem where you cant pass the uric acid out in urine form.
So uric acid builds up, crystallizes, and forms, effectively, little 'razor blades' in joints that slice the heck out of anything with the slightest movement.
The precursor of uric acid is purines in food.
Most edible insects, including roaches, crickets, silkworms, etc are very high in purines*.
But, most insect eating animals have adaptions to enzymes to break down higher than normal purine diets, but apparently some do not, and its rare.
In any animal gout is an excruciating, excruciating condition.
My gout dog buddy said during attacks his dog would just curl up and whine, unable to move, snapping at anyone that came near, I'm like that too.
I'd believe that if your cham had gout, it would not only not be mobile, but would have gone Kaiser Sosay on you had you tried to move its leg.
The only way to truly ID gout is to have a blood draw during an attack to confirm high uric acid levels.
Hope thats helpful for future concerns.

* https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_of_common_edible_insects_in_Southwest_China

Last edited:
She has the correct lighting a supplements but she stepped on the thermometer plug at the basking spot which caused her to slip and she fell on the ground.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom