Gout or MBD???

I purchased Arnica gel at the drug store for him, it is for gout but unsure if it will work for chameleons. Have you heard of anyone using this type of product?

I have not. I give him allopurinol. It is the same meds that humans take for gout. I know several people that have gout and use the same meds as my veiled.

I don't believe there is a cure. I was told id have to Give him his meds forever. Did you look at the thread where I posted a picture of what came out of his knee? The meds are supposed to help prevent flare ups.

What kinds of meds does he have to take? I didn't see that post....something gross came out of his knee?? I will look thru your posts again :)

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!! I need all of the help I can get. I rescued him a few months ago and just trying to get him back in good health.
There is so much advice out there, but what is the best?
Yesterday I fed him a hornworm and he gobbled it up and wanted more...lol. I only had one, would it be okay to feed him 2 of them? Also, he ate a dubia roach this morning and I left 4 others where he can get to them. He also ate a dusted cricket. I will have to upload a picture of his enclosure, so you can see how I have him set up while I'm at work.
Ok, i dont really know a lot about hornworms and roaches, i usually just give him dusted crickets, but from your description he doesn't seem too unhealthy, just keep him hydrated and try focus on dusted crickets, if you still want to go another step further maybe give him some liquid calcium.

im not some big expert but in my opinion i believe that it is gout. gout makes limbs swell a lot and that is obvious in those pictures his/her limbs are swollen. also everyone knows that mbd would show bending bones but im not seeing that i just see fatty limbs. Id suggest though add some more d3 into the diet to be safe but then get something for the gout(idk what vets suggest). Good luck and i hope your cham gets better

Ok, i dont really know a lot about hornworms and roaches, i usually just give him dusted crickets, but from your description he doesn't seem too unhealthy, just keep him hydrated and try focus on dusted crickets, if you still want to go another step further maybe give him some liquid calcium.

He's not too unhealthy, he just has trouble walking & griping with his hands and feet :(. I will feed him his dusted crickets and give him plenty of water.

im not some big expert but in my opinion i believe that it is gout. gout makes limbs swell a lot and that is obvious in those pictures his/her limbs are swollen. also everyone knows that mbd would show bending bones but im not seeing that i just see fatty limbs. Id suggest though add some more d3 into the diet to be safe but then get something for the gout(idk what vets suggest). Good luck and i hope your cham gets better

That's what I thought and don't know why his vet said MBD. Even in his xrays, Pickles has strong, healthy bones...thank goodness. I will get him to the vet and get some meds for this gout. He tries to climb and be a normal chameleon, but this gout is bringing him down. Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it! I will get him more D3 :). I will post updates on Pickles, hopefully I can get him walking and climbing soon!!

I will contact his vet and find out if he can prescribe this for Pickles. Moe has to take this prescription for the rest of his life?

Unfortunately, yes. Get him to the vet asap to get that prescription. Moe was a bit lethargic because I think he was in pain. Yours probably is too, the people I know that have gout said it is extremely painful. Try to encourage him to drink more to flush it out a bit. The meds should really help. Take him out for some natural sunlight don't add too much d3 to his diet. Did you see the picture of what came out of moe's knee?

Unfortunately, yes. Get him to the vet asap to get that prescription. Moe was a bit lethargic because I think he was in pain. Yours probably is too, the people I know that have gout said it is extremely painful. Try to encourage him to drink more to flush it out a bit. The meds should really help. Take him out for some natural sunlight don't add too much d3 to his diet. Did you see the picture of what came out of moe's knee?

Awwww....:( poor little Moe, he sure is a beautiful little guy. I will get him that prescription so that he can start to feel better. I know it has to be so very painful, some days he doesn't feel like moving at all. It breaks my heart that I can't help him. I try to take him out for natural sunlight every day and for at least 4 hours on Sat & Sun. If they get enough sunlight, do they need the D3?
I was unable to find that post, can you send it to me?

Awwww....:( poor little Moe, he sure is a beautiful little guy. I will get him that prescription so that he can start to feel better. I know it has to be so very painful, some days he doesn't feel like moving at all. It breaks my heart that I can't help him. I try to take him out for natural sunlight every day and for at least 4 hours on Sat & Sun. If they get enough sunlight, do they need the D3?
I was unable to find that post, can you send it to me?

I'm not completely sure on that. If I remember correctly, I think I've seen a few people who don't use uvb bulbs when they take their cham out that much but I'm not sure about the d3 supplement. That'd be a good question to ask in a new thread to get some good answers.

Here is the link to the thread, there's also some interesting info about helping gout through diet, check it out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/diagnosed-with-gout.157510/

Back
Top Bottom