Gout or MBD???

Kris Chams

Chameleon Enthusiast
The vet said Pickles has MBD, but I think it is gout. He needs more blood work done and has an appointment next week.
I'm unsure what to look for if it is gout nor how to treat it :(

Attachments

• Pickles left hand.jpg
    Pickles left hand.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 296
  • Pickles left leg.jpg
    Pickles left leg.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Pickles right leg.jpg
    Pickles right leg.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 264
The vet said Pickles has MBD, but I think it is gout. He needs more blood work done and has an appointment next week.
I'm unsure what to look for if it is gout nor how to treat it :(
Is he active? and does he have his eyes open?, if he is really weak i would suggest him some baby bird food, thats what my vet suggested, and if he is eating crickets himself make sure he has enough supplements.

Is he active? and does he have his eyes open?, if he is really weak i would suggest him some baby bird food, thats what my vet suggested, and if he is eating crickets himself make sure he has enough supplements.

He tries to be active but is really weak. He does eat crickets with supplements on them. He is impacted again and I'm not sure how to help him.

He tries to be active but is really weak. He does eat crickets with supplements on them. He is impacted again and I'm not sure how to help him.
Well i think he has MBD. Maybe for these few weeks it would be best to move him, into a place without branches or anything, a container will do. Feed him bird baby food, liquid calcium, and water. Make sure he gets enough sunlight, you can feed him crickets, but dont feed him anything else.

joshua_playz is my skype account, dont judge the username i made it a long time ago, i can talk to you directly, and i can give you guidance.

joshua_playz is my skype account, dont judge the username i made it a long time ago, i can talk to you directly, and i can give you guidance.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!! I need all of the help I can get. I rescued him a few months ago and just trying to get him back in good health.
There is so much advice out there, but what is the best?
Yesterday I fed him a hornworm and he gobbled it up and wanted more...lol. I only had one, would it be okay to feed him 2 of them? Also, he ate a dubia roach this morning and I left 4 others where he can get to them. He also ate a dusted cricket. I will have to upload a picture of his enclosure, so you can see how I have him set up while I'm at work.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!! I need all of the help I can get. I rescued him a few months ago and just trying to get him back in good health.
There is so much advice out there, but what is the best?
Yesterday I fed him a hornworm and he gobbled it up and wanted more...lol. I only had one, would it be okay to feed him 2 of them? Also, he ate a dubia roach this morning and I left 4 others where he can get to them. He also ate a dusted cricket. I will have to upload a picture of his enclosure, so you can see how I have him set up while I'm at work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ULTYCjPrlnnng8P82

I'm not sure if you can see this, but here is a video of his current enclosure.

Well i think he has MBD. Maybe for these few weeks it would be best to move him, into a place without branches or anything, a container will do. Feed him bird baby food, liquid calcium, and water. Make sure he gets enough sunlight, you can feed him crickets, but dont feed him anything else.

Where can I buy baby bird food?

If you suspect gout feeding a food that may contain animal proteins will only make it worse. If he is eating insects stick to that diet. Tube or force feeding is used only if necessary. If he will eat mashed pumpkin or pears that can help with constipation in veiled.

If you suspect gout feeding a food that may contain animal proteins will only make it worse. If he is eating insects stick to that diet. Tube or force feeding is used only if necessary. If he will eat mashed pumpkin or pears that can help with constipation in veiled.

I will stick with crickets, hornworms & dubia's..what about super worms?
I've tried to get him to eat mashed pumpkin or pears, but he just won't do it. I don't want to force feed him that, but I'm getting worried. He was constipated before and the vet gave him several enema's. Do you think an animal probiotic will help him?

Superworms are ok but the hardest to digest of the bugs you listed. I don't know if probiotics do anything for chameleons. You might ask your vet if he/she thinks lactulose will help with his constipation. Others have had success.

Superworms are ok but the hardest to digest of the bugs you listed. I don't know if probiotics do anything for chameleons. You might ask your vet if he/she thinks lactulose will help with his constipation. Others have had success.

Okay, I will keep him on a soft diet and ask the vet about lactulose. I give him warm baths & massage his stomach morning & evening. He tried to poop but only urates come out. Thank you so much for your advise!! It really helps a lot. I have been dusting his feeders with

JurassiPet JurassiCal Reptile & Amphibian Dry Calcium Supplement

But he needs this one, correct?

Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus Reptile Supplement, 3-oz bottle

Another way to hydrate and stimulate defecation. "Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
Supplements-"Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."

Another way to hydrate and stimulate defecation. "Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
Supplements-"Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."

I will let him take shower this evening, for about 30 minutes, right? I will be right there with him the entire time.

Thank you for clarifying the supplements, there are so many options when it comes to them it's hard to choose the right ones and when to use them.

Looks like gout to me. My veiled has had gout for over a year now. Look at my past threads I posted pictures when it started flaring up before I started treating it. I have to give him oral meds daily. Lately he hasnt been doing so well, he has been falling more than usual and I'm worried the gout may be starting to get the best of him. He's been a fighter and taking it pretty well up until recently. Hoping things don't get worse before I can get him to see Dr Greek. Let me know if you have any questions I can try to help based on my experiences.

Looks like gout to me. My veiled has had gout for over a year now. Look at my past threads I posted pictures when it started flaring up before I started treating it. I have to give him oral meds daily. Lately he hasnt been doing so well, he has been falling more than usual and I'm worried the gout may be starting to get the best of him. He's been a fighter and taking it pretty well up until recently. Hoping things don't get worse before I can get him to see Dr Greek. Let me know if you have any questions I can try to help based on my experiences.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I believe it is gout. I’ve only had him a few months and his previous owner said it was MBD. Is there a cure for gout?

I will look at your posts and I know that I will have way too many questions for you…..I apologize in advance. I want to help Pickles walk and climb again.

I’m so sorry about your baby, I hope things don’t get worse for him :(

I purchased Arnica gel at the drug store for him, it is for gout but unsure if it will work for chameleons. Have you heard of anyone using this type of product?

I don't believe there is a cure. I was told id have to Give him his meds forever. Did you look at the thread where I posted a picture of what came out of his knee? The meds are supposed to help prevent flare ups.

Back
Top Bottom