Got the new cage finished finally!

Ginj

Took a couple weeks to get it all together but she is finally done and ready for the new Cham.

Attachments

• 34C420CB-F74A-4377-8C34-D879D868364B.jpeg
    34C420CB-F74A-4377-8C34-D879D868364B.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 77
Hi! :) That’s a cute enclosure. Did you make it?
I’d like to give you some friendly and constructive feedback. I can see how hard you’ve worked on this and it looks very nice. Adding some more branches would create many more little roads for your chameleon to travel on. I use natural branches from outside that I’ve washed with Dawn dish soap and rinsed well. Just avoid pine and other sappy trees.
As you’re getting a veiled, they do nibble at their plants. Some have been known to eat artific leaves, which causes impaction which is quite serious. I use a lot of pothos, philodendron and wandering Jew for my veileds and they have eaten some plants almost bare.
Is your enclosure bioactive? If not, I suggest getting rid of the soil and moss on the floor. Again, your veiled may eat the moss and get impacted. Without drainage and clean up crew, the soil will become a bacterial mud. This is a great blog on how to set up bioactive. It’s a little extra work to set up, but is wonderful in the long run. I use root pouches and they work quite well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-306677187-_-N&
I do have to ask why the heat emitter? Unless your home gets below 55-60*, your chameleon will be fine. A night time cooling is actually best.

I second the above statement..the heat emitter will end your chams life pretty quickly, and I never in a million years would ever put a heat lamp on the top screen.... never do that.. if you ever see it it is wrong..25 watt regular house bulb is enough, basking temp only has to be high 80s - 90 max

Hi! :) That’s a cute enclosure. Did you make it?
I’d like to give you some friendly and constructive feedback. I can see how hard you’ve worked on this and it looks very nice. Adding some more branches would create many more little roads for your chameleon to travel on. I use natural branches from outside that I’ve washed with Dawn dish soap and rinsed well. Just avoid pine and other sappy trees.
As you’re getting a veiled, they do nibble at their plants. Some have been known to eat artific leaves, which causes impaction which is quite serious. I use a lot of pothos, philodendron and wandering Jew for my veileds and they have eaten some plants almost bare.
Is your enclosure bioactive? If not, I suggest getting rid of the soil and moss on the floor. Again, your veiled may eat the moss and get impacted. Without drainage and clean up crew, the soil will become a bacterial mud. This is a great blog on how to set up bioactive. It’s a little extra work to set up, but is wonderful in the long run. I use root pouches and they work quite well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-306677187-_-N&
I do have to ask why the heat emitter? Unless your home gets below 55-60*, your chameleon will be fine. A night time cooling is actually best.
It is a bio active and closure I have the heat emitter and for the days that it gets -30 in my town my house and sometimes drop to low 60s and yes I have to pathos and one wandering Jew and another I forget the name all Cham safe plants I have the one fake plant in the just because the others haven’t grown in yet so there isn’t much hiding

I second the above statement..the heat emitter will end your chams life pretty quickly, and I never in a million years would ever put a heat lamp on the top screen.... never do that.. if you ever see it it is wrong..25 watt regular house bulb is enough, basking temp only has to be high 80s - 90 max
What do you mean don’t put your heat lamp on the top screen

What do you mean don’t put your heat lamp on the top screen
He means don't set it directly on top because the chameleon can get burns especially because their casque gets big and chameleons like to hang right under it for basking it will increase the chances of getting some kind of burn.

It is a bio active and closure I have the heat emitter and for the days that it gets -30 in my town my house and sometimes drop to low 60s and yes I have to pathos and one wandering Jew and another I forget the name all Cham safe plants I have the one fake plant in the just because the others haven’t grown in yet so there isn’t much hiding
One of your plants looks like a Trachelospermun jasminoides (Star Jessamine) which if it is, it’s sap is poisonous.

One of your plants looks like a Trachelospermun jasminoides (Star Jessamine) which if it is, it’s sap is poisonous.
No when I was buying I used this form to buy my plants and they said they were all good for chameleons, there is one fake one in there rn and it is only temporary

Wow! You’ve done some great researching obviously! :) I had to ask about the substrate as too many put soil & moss on the bottom without being fully bioactive and then have problems. I guess I can’t see all your live plants...which is actually a good thing as your cham will have some nice hiding areas. Once your plants grow in enough, you could use the fake one on the outside to add a little more privacy.
Now, most important of all...we need pics of your cham...especially if it’s a young one. Love seeing new scaly faces.☺

Sweet little one! 🥰 Thank you!
He/she I think she is a little aggressive, I was going to wait and buy a panther but this Cham was at pet I with another that was a lot larger and I didn’t think that was okay seeing as how the larger could have really done some damage to this little one so I said screw it and brought this one home, but he or she is pretty aggressive put it in the enclosure and left it alone this morning as I was trying to change lighting situation had a lot of hissing and lunging trying to bite me

He/she I think she is a little aggressive, I was going to wait and buy a panther but this Cham was at pet I with another that was a lot larger and I didn’t think that was okay seeing as how the larger could have really done some damage to this little one so I said screw it and brought this one home, but he or she is pretty aggressive put it in the enclosure and left it alone this morning as I was trying to change lighting situation had a lot of hissing and lunging trying to bite me
That is normal, especially for a veiled. They have their attitudes, but that’s one of the things I love about them. You can tell if a boy or girl from the back feet. Males have little protrusions, tarsal Spurs, and females generally don’t.

That is normal, especially for a veiled. They have their attitudes, but that’s one of the things I love about them. You can tell if a boy or girl from the back feet. Males have little protrusions, tarsal Spurs, and females generally don’t.
Yeah I have had a couple chams just years and years ago when I was younger, I’m not to familiar with sexing them but I do have an idea I was looking for a little nub or anything on back feet and didn’t see anything so I take it, it is a girl or to early to tell?

Yeah I have had a couple chams just years and years ago when I was younger, I’m not to familiar with sexing them but I do have an idea I was looking for a little nub or anything on back feet and didn’t see anything so I take it, it is a girl or to early to tell?
Nope. They can be sexed right out of the egg. If no nubs, then you have a lovely little girl. You may already know, but I have to remind that when she gets older she will lay eggs, regardless of being mated. There are ways thru lower basking temps and limiting their feedings to help reduce the frequency of laying as well as clutch size. Plenty of time for that though. She’s got a lot of growing to do first. :)

Nope. They can be sexed right out of the egg. If no nubs, then you have a lovely little girl. You may already know, but I have to remind that when she gets older she will lay eggs, regardless of being mated. There are ways thru lower basking temps and limiting their feedings to help reduce the frequency of laying as well as clutch size. Plenty of time for that though. She’s got a lot of growing to do first. :)
Isn’t there first clutch usually at 8 months or something not sure! I have never had a girl Cham

Back
Top Bottom