Got some Silkworms!!!

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
So I had to post to tell y'all I received my 30 silkworms for Beman today. All 30 arrived alive in their little pod with food. OMG does he think they are amazing. Ate two so fast like he had not eaten in months lol.

I just want to give a big thank you to @Spyro88! Stephen is soooo nice and has been great about answering my questions. I was even able to get them delivered and held at the post office with the colder weather. So happy to have found his post about having these available for sale. Great price on them and the priority shipping. I will definitely be purchasing on going from him :)

So if you need some silkworms message him directly and he will take great care of you.
IMG_2743.jpg

Just got eggs in the mail myself fingers crossed

I did this my first time. Eggs were from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla. The eggs hatched and I let them grow. Fed a bunch off and kept 20 to turn into moths. I let them breed and now have another supply of eggs getting ready to hatch. This is a great way to show the kids circle of life too. Matt went out of his way to advise me how to handle the process and now I have a sustainable breeding group. Totally worth it since silks are expensive and chams eat them like candy. Haha

Honestly I bought silkworms chow in amazon. Waited for the eggs to hatch and put small cups into the enclosure. The eat like crazy so I keep the cups full. They keep growing and then you need to provide something for them to climb on and start building cocoons. As they make cocoons you pull them out. Once they come out of the cocoons out them in a cardboard box so they can breed and lay eggs on the sides of the box. Once they lay they die so you toss the bodies and trim out the eggs on the cardboard. Refridgerate the eggs for about 2 months. Then put the eggs near a heat source and the process starts all over.

Last edited:
Honestly I bought silkworms chow in amazon. Waited for the eggs to hatch and put small cups into the enclosure. The eat like crazy so I keep the cups full. They keep growing and then you need to provide something for them to climb on and start building cocoons. As they make cocoons you pull them out. Once they come out of the cocoons out them in a cardboard box so they can breed and lay eggs on the sides of the box. Once they lay they die so you toss the bodies and trim out the eggs on the cardboard. Refridgerate the eggs for about 2 months. Then put the eggs near a heat source and the process starts all over.
Wow ok well that is really cool. Not sure if my family would be ok with me adding bugs to the freezer but I might be able to talk them into it :p

It's ok though because my beer fridge is now half beer and half cham food or food for cham food. Haha.

Lol yep - I have a dedicated mini fridge for my animals largely due to push back from my housemates. They found a stash of red wigglers, meal worms, and a pinkie mouse I was defrosting, once. That was the end of animal food in the communal fridge, though to be fair I still think they shouldn't have been snooping through my dedicated shelf! :LOL:

Not bugs, a small ziplock bag with eggs, not much unlike chicken eggs, just a heck of a lot smaller!
Yeah they aren't seeing the bug invasion quite the same way I am lol. And why is it that I feel bad for the moths that die after laying eggs. :( Like I am killing tons of feeders and I am not flinching now at least. The horn worms got me in the beginning because they are cute. But I may have to try this if I get another cham.... Still in conversation with Beman on this. He says he would rather not share his time with his mom :p

Back
Top Bottom