Got mold in my superworms

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've been ordering & keeping superworms in oatmeal for close to a year now, and for the first time, today the oatmeal was covered in green mold (it was fine 2 days ago). This stuff grew fast. At first I thought about trying to salvage the supers and put them in fresh oatmeal, but the thought of spores gave me pause (they may be in the house air now, anyway). There were only about 50 left, so I just chucked the whole thing—container & all.

No idea why this happened. Nothing different in any of the batches.

Is it more humid at your house now? I know the humidity around my house has spiked up the last few days.

I keep mine in oat as well and have had no problems so far. I hear some people use peat as well

Last edited:
I was told by the "insect keeper" at the zoo not to use oatmeal..it was many years ago so I don't remember why he said not to use it....but I never have. Maybe that's why?

I was told by the "insect keeper" at the zoo not to use oatmeal..it was many years ago so I don't remember why he said not to use it....but I never have. Maybe that's why?
I'm not countering what you say but I've bred waxworms and bsfl in oats fine

After learning about aflatoxins, and annoyed with trying to manage moisture... i switched to coco soil and wish i did it sooner. So much cleaner, and i can keep a lid on and add various “wet” foods with worry now.

After learning about aflatoxins, and annoyed with trying to manage moisture... i switched to coco soil and wish i did it sooner. So much cleaner, and i can keep a lid on and add various “wet” foods with worry now.
I feel like there was a thread about this where we talking about oats being bad due to something... That then transfers to the feeder and then can be harmful to the reptile eating it. Maybe @jamest0o0 knows what the something is that was discussed. All I remember is I stopped using oats. :hilarious:

I feel like there was a thread about this where we talking about oats being bad due to something... That then transfers to the feeder and then can be harmful to the reptile eating it. Maybe @jamest0o0 knows what the something is that was discussed. All I remember is I stopped using oats. :hilarious:

Aflatoxins. Certain “moldy” grains can develop these toxins. I cant recall 100% but I think its a type of fungus... but whatever it is, aflatoxins are extremely toxic. One very experienced member lost most of their large, unique collection to them in a very dramatic, traumatic way. No oats or wheat for me!

Aflatoxins. Certain “moldy” grains can develop these toxins. I cant recall 100% but I think its a type of fungus... but whatever it is, aflatoxins are extremely toxic. One very experienced member lost most of their large, unique collection to them in a very dramatic, traumatic way. No oats or wheat for me!
Yes! I knew you would remember what I kinda remembered lol.

Like I said in OP, I already tossed 'em. I've kept mealies in oatmeal for years—never had this happen, and it happened so fast. IDK if the spores were in the oatmeal or on something I tossed in to gutload them. Probably never will. I'll look into the aflatoxin sitch.

Yes! I knew you would remember what I kinda remembered lol.

I was referring to oats binding minerals due to phytic acid. They block calcium absorption. So not a good gutload for reptiles that depend heavily on mineral content. A little here and there is nothing to worry about though.

Also, I'm very skeptical of aflatoxins being as big of a worry. Moldy grains are no good, aflatoxins apparently are linked to liver cancer, but that was one freak occurrence and there was no real proof that's what caused her collection to be wiped out. I'm not a biologist and I'm not saying she was lying or that it didn't happen, just that it's a very rare thing. I was on these forums when she posted about it and it was a lot of vets that she said told her they think that was the likely cause. I'm not one to just call someone a liar, but it was a very weird and unusual occurrence. Most of the times people lose a collection it's due to something contagious. I've had reptiles for 20+ years and never have I fed crickets that ended up almost instantly killing all of my animals. And I'll admit, I bought them from all sorts of dirty reptile shops and fed them garbage that molded over at times way before I knew any better. Sure you could make the argument you wouldn't know what killed the animal, but with the way it happened to her, it was almost instantly after 1 bad batch of crickets.

Last edited:
I remember that and who the breeder was.....wow that has been awhile :unsure:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not trying to call anyone out or question her credibility. Just that whatever happened, it's not a common thing to see. Like being worried about getting struck by lightning. Make commons sense decisions to avoid it, but overall, very unlikely that it will happen and not worth losing sleep over. IMO

Back
Top Bottom