Gorgeous female veiled at my Petco

wow everyone seems to live in Virginia lol, im in md but the petco's near me are pretty bad, had a 6 month cham and a 2 month in the same thing, poor little one was terrified, feed mealworms and have gravid females in like 5 gal tanks but nonetheless my first was from petco

I'm in Baltimore and I see the same thing in our Petco and Petstmarts... the chams are either in extremely tiny, humid enclosures and fed mealworms, or they are babies in larger enclosures with multiple chams, and fed mealworms and crickets WAY too large for them. I always say hello to them, and apologize when I leave them. It makes me so sad.

If there is such a small profit margin for veileds, why are these stores selling them? I’m sorry, but even if there are a few hundred well informed, well to do associates, that means there are still hundreds of stores, and thousands of associates that still don’t care. The only fix is not shopping at these stores. Their prices are REDICULOUS, and they pander horrible husbandry. Have you ever read the care sheets they have? There are way too many resources outside of these stores to legitimize shopping there. All of your equipment, feeders, and animals can be sourced online for better prices and service. I do appreciate the OP’s dedication, but a few good sales people won’t change the real problem.

The only fix is not shopping at these stores. Their prices are REDICULOUS, and they pander horrible husbandry. Have you ever read the care sheets they have? There are way too many resources outside of these stores to legitimize shopping there. All of your equipment, feeders, and animals can be sourced online for better prices and service.

I agree and avoid them wherever possible... but there isn't always the luxury of waiting for an online order. My (NEW!) basking bulb burned out this weekend and I be-lined it to PetSmart. I paid more for the pleasure, too!

Oh yeah, all in all, don’t purchase animals from large stores like my unfortunate company. I usually only post special cases here, I try not to throw my stores chams up unless they are cases where the average (reptile experienced) customer certainly cannot provide them a good home.

Edit; btw for those familiar with VA’s hull street area. Be wary of an exotic pet store around there. If you want details please dm me.

Walking into petstores usually breaks my heart. My sister (who rescues every animal she sees) worked at one in high school - so Im sure there are good hearted knowledgable people here and there, but most Ive encountered dont seem to care much. Theyre always in horrible conditions near me
I agree. My oldest daughter, like your sister, is as much an animal person as I am. Will rescue, foster, and build trust with animals that need someone to care. She worked at a pet store for 2 years when she was 18 to 20 years old. They used to lecture her for taking too long with customers, telling customers exactly how to give the best care to the pet they were interested in buying, and for telling customers not to buy a pet when she felt they wouldnt take care of it correctly. They also lectured her about taking too long when she cleaned their enclosures and tanks. Because she would handle the animals and make sure they were okay, and build their trust. As well as REALLY cleaning their enclosures, not just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth. They wanted her to just do these quick wipe downs instead of really caring for the reptiles and other animals they sold there. This was a point of contention the whole time she worked for them. She took too much time to care. Was exactly what they told her when they fired her. :unsure:
She was heartbroken for the animals when she left there.

She was heartbroken for the animals when she left there.

That is sad, but not surprising. My sister eventually left, but when she did she bought an African Grey parrot (that was way more than she could afford) when she quit because she was the only person who cared for it, and the only one it trusted. She knew he needed her. It's been 20 years and that parrot still makes fun of me!

Back
Top Bottom