gooey poo

stranger23

Your Chameleon - Male yemen Chameleon had him for a week tomorrow

Handling - Once to take him out side in the sun was on a stick until he decided to climb on us

Feeding - Gut loaded crickets and a few locusts

Supplements - prorep calci dust and nutrobal doing calci dust every other feed and nutrobal twice a month

Watering - Home made dripper and misting at least twice a day up to 5 mins seen him drink once

Fecal Description - Orange gooey quite large getting him to the vets next week

History - Was kept in a small 1 foot high viv no uv of heat for the last few months

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 4 foot by 2 foot square home made mesh viv

Lighting - 8am-8pm lights on heat bulb and uv (has temporary compact uv bulb as strip bulb didnt work wanting for new fittings to arrive)

Temperature - 90 F basking area digital thermometer

Plants - Live umbrellas and weeping figs fake weeping fig

Placement - Corner of living room on a table about 7 foot high at the top

Location - England

Current Problem - Hadnt seem him poo since i got him until the other day when we took him outside to get some sun, it was a lot and seemed quite gooey with an orangey/brown colour to it he did about 3 in a row about an inch long and has since done another one in his viv that ive noticed, im taking him to the vets at the end of the month to get him checked out but wondered what it could be i thought it was ment to be more solid than that? he was left with no heat or uv for a while before i took him and i know that the compact uv bulbs are not great for them but im using it to give him some uv while the fittings for the tube come (the ones i got were faulty) he eats well and today ive seen him drink as it was the first time he let me spray him (had never been sprayed/misted before as was given a waterfall) im wondering if him drinking from the waterfall has given him some bacterial thing hence the visit to the vets but as i cant get him in for a week wanted to check with you guys see if there is anything i can do in the mean time

Dave Weldon posted a good pictures of what feces/urates should look like but I can't find the link right now.

Ok its not quite right then got some orange so i know he is dehydrated im spraying him at least 3 times a day but he doesnt like it and just runs away, will be trying the shower technique just trying to find something sturdy enough for him to sit on, ive managed to get him to drink a tiny bit since i got him which has been a week is there any way to get him to recognise the dripper? is there anything else i can do for him? he is going to the vets at the end of the month. Also noticed he doesnt tend to poo untill we take him outside like the sun light sets him off any reason for this?

you could give him some silkworms or hornworms to aid in hydration. I have also put a drop of water on a cricket and delivered some water that way. You might also try squirting a small amount of water into the side of his mouth while he is chewing his food. Dont overdo that though. You dont want to get too much water and cause him to asperate.

I will try and find some silk worms or hornworms tomorrow then how many would you say to give him in one go? i can feed crickets but to be honest i dont like them so getting close enough to put water on it would freak me out i use tubes to get them from the keeper into the bag for dusting then just tip the bag out in the viv about as close as i can get altho im getting better with time :) i will try just about anything to get this little man back up to good health it makes me angry that people take on pets without knowing how to look after them in the long run, he was in a 1 foot high by 2 foot wide viv when i took him with no lights at all so im working really hard to get this guy the best and take him out in the sun as much as i can, i know he has a good strong grip so thats a good sign isnt it (he walked on my hand when taking him outside instead of sitting on his stick) also how do i go about weighing him i think he looks a little skinny but havent seen a chameleon his size before so not sure if he is or not so wanted to weigh him

If he is pretty small yet, I would give him a couple medium silkies (1 inch or so). Hornworms grow very large so I would start off with small ones and feed a few of those as well. These types of worms are soft and carry a lot of water. I would try and feed as many as he cares to eat. Does he hand feed?

He is about a year old and i guess about 9 inches long might be slightly more from his nose to the base of his tail, he does feed from a pot if you hold it for him and isnt bothered by hands in the viv he seems very tame i will look for some of the worms tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom