Good place to buy a large free range tree

ajs

Avid Member
I've been looking for around a 6' tall ficus or schefflera to use as a free range setup but they seem to be pretty expensive on most of the websites I've seen.

I tried my local lowes also, but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have recommendations for vendors?

Do you have any plant nurseries near you? You could check there. Usually they have several sizes of plants.
Yeah I checked there and really liked a clusia that I saw. But, after a quick search I found some concerns about toxicity. Didnt have much luck with taller ficus' or schefflera there though

Local plant nursery/garden stores are where I got most of my plants. I was looking for smaller ones (<4 ft.) for an enclosure, which were more difficult to find as most of what they had were of the size you're looking for.

They were still pretty expensive, and I would think shipping something that size would be prohibitive.

I did find a couple of good deals though; probably last year's leftover stock or something. We're getting pretty close to the time of year (here in the northeast, anyway) when these places will want to clear things out for the winter months.

Another possibility(?) might be indoor landscapers in your area.

Reactions: ajs
I've been looking for around a 6' tall ficus or schefflera to use as a free range setup but they seem to be pretty expensive on most of the websites I've seen.

I tried my local lowes also, but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have recommendations for vendors?

"Try this site buddy copy and paste hopefully it just lets you click it rathat then copy and and paste it after this sentence" https://gardengoodsdirect.com/produ...G3gk8v-h6-oZfpu0kZTXNgjX5H4M5sTRoCV50QAvD_BwE

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200908-090331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-090331_Chrome.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20200908-090323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-090323_Chrome.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 86
A ficus that size is going to be pretty expensive regardless of where you go. IME a 3-4ft tall ficus tree ranged 90-110 USD and local nurseries were fairly comparable to chain stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. I would expect a 6 foot tree to be even more expensive. Another reason I might prefer to buy a plant or tree locally is so that I can see the overall health and condition of the plant prior to purchasing it. You also might find a better variety of options at local nurseries.

This year I actually found 4ft tall hibiscus trees at Lowe's on clearance for $15. However, they needed a bit of TLC since it is the end of the summer season, and they require a lot of light indoors so caring for these as an indoor plant can be a little challenging.

Depending on where you are, it's kind of the off-season for house plants. With outdoor gardening weather coming to a close, you might start to see more options for the indoor months :)
You might also ask local nurseries/garden centers about special-ordering something for you!

I second gardengoodsdirect.com, I got a few ficus allii trees there. I also found some at a local home depot... but its really hit or miss in terms of selection.

A ficus that size is going to be pretty expensive regardless of where you go. IME a 3-4ft tall ficus tree ranged 90-110 USD and local nurseries were fairly comparable to chain stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. I would expect a 6 foot tree to be even more expensive. Another reason I might prefer to buy a plant or tree locally is so that I can see the overall health and condition of the plant prior to purchasing it. You also might find a better variety of options at local nurseries.

This year I actually found 4ft tall hibiscus trees at Lowe's on clearance for $15. However, they needed a bit of TLC since it is the end of the summer season, and they require a lot of light indoors so caring for these as an indoor plant can be a little challenging.

Large (mature) plants are usually expensive, because it can take years for a plant to reach that size. I just bought a large tree philodendron from a woman... its maybe 3' tall and very wide... she's been growing it for almost 40 years! That being said, some are cheaper than others, and some grow faster than others. I've gotten some very large trees from Home Depot in the indoor plan section for $40-60... but its very hit or miss. I would expect to pay $50-100 for a 4+ foot tree.

You might also want to check craiglist and facebook marketplace, there are a lot of plants on there. Especially with fall coming and people are downsizing their outdoor plants.

Back
Top Bottom