Good news!

extrajordinary

Established Member
You will all be happy to know that I have seen the light...and Leo will not be returning to my classroom next year. The only reason I haven't taken him home permanently yet is because I'd like to build a custom enclosure for him first. I do want to say that he's been growing and behaving normally. I'm not taking him home due to any particular concern. There's just been too many times that he's had to be transported from school to my apartment and back. It stresses me out so I know it stresses him out. Anyway, I've included some photos of him from this morning for you all to look over and let me know if he looks healthy. His legs look a little weird to me, but I don't think he has MBD. I think that's just how chameleon legs look...but let me know what you think!

I've also attached a drawing with labels of what my current plan is for a custom enclosure. Any and all feedback and critiques are welcome! My boyfriend and his dad are capable of building this so that's not my concern. I just want to hear all of your thoughts and see if I'm forgetting anything or if I didn't think something through. Sorry that this drawing is all I have right now...I've got De Quervain's tenosynovitis in my dominant hand so just drawing this was painful.

Attachments

• IMG_8957.JPG
    IMG_8957.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8958.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 141
  • Custom Viv Plan.png
    Custom Viv Plan.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 144
And because I know you all will ask - ;)
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon; male; 8-9 months old; he has been in my care since October 18, 2018
Handling - I don't really handle Leo. I hand feed him daily, and a few weeks ago I started putting my left hand between him and my right hand (the one holding the cricket) to encourage him to step onto my left hand to get the cricket. It worked, but he still doesn't step onto my hand willingly.
Feeding - He is eating large sized crickets. I feed the crickets kale, spinach, and carrots. He gets 10 crickets a day. I've started weaning him off of a daily feeding schedule and putting him on an every-other-day feeding schedule. This looks like 10 crickets one day, 8 the next day, 10 the next day, 6 the next day, etc.
Supplements - I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 and a multivitamin once every two weeks and calcium without D3 at every feeding.
Watering - There is a dripper in the corner and I mist his cage 2-3 times daily.
Fecal Description - He has decent sized poops with a slight odor and his urates are white.
History - He is from FL Chams. I was told he was 2-3 months when I got him on October 18, 2018.

Cage Type - He has a Zoo Med X-Large Repti Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage. It measures 2' by 2' by 4'. There is a shower curtain attached to three sides to help with the humidity.
Lighting - I'm using a Zoo Med Repti Sun Terrarium Hood 24 inch with a Zoo Med 24" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb. For heat I have a Zoo Med regular black ceramic clip lamp with a regular incandescent lightbulb. It's 100 watts. The lights turn on at 5 in the morning and turn off at 5/5:30 in the evening.
Temperature - The basking spot ranges from 80-85. I don't know what the temperature in the bottom of the cage is or what it has been at night. I've been using an analog temperature gauge.
Humidity - The humidity rests around 60-70% right now. Yesterday it got up to 90% after I misted...but I think that was because I accidentally sprayed the analog hygrometer.
Plants - Yes, I have a ficus. The ficus was purchased from LLL Reptile.
Placement - It is in the corner of the room, away from the windows and doors. The top of the cage is probably about 6-7 feet off of the ground. It's a 4' cage that sits on top of a plastic utility tub.
Location - North Chicago, about 20-25 miles north of Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom