Good gutloading for crickets?

Would this be a good thing to gut-load crickets with. (Got a male veiled) image.jpg

I already use bug burger, I just had some baby food that wasn’t going to be used, though that if it wasnt harmful, i might as well use it. Thanks for the picture though.

My biggest concern with that baby food would be the chicken. Animal protein (at least in roaches) is converted and stored as uric acid, which can cause gout in our reptiles at high enough concentrations. I wouldn't use it for gutloading, personally!

If you're not going to use it, I'd suggest donating it to a food bank. :)

My biggest concern with that baby food would be the chicken. Animal protein (at least in roaches) is converted and stored as uric acid, which can cause gout in our reptiles at high enough concentrations. I wouldn't use it for gutloading, personally!

If you're not going to use it, I'd suggest donating it to a food bank. :)

While I'm with you on the No to chicken... interesting thing I learned a little while back(I think I posted it here somewhere), roaches convert ALL excess protein to uric acid so they can store it. That's why it's important to limit protein in their diet, even from vegan sources.

While I'm with you on the No to chicken... interesting thing I learned a little while back(I think I posted it here somewhere), roaches convert ALL excess protein to uric acid so they can store it. That's why it's important to limit protein in their diet, even from vegan sources.

Interesting! So all excess protein in general is converted and stored as uric acid, not just animal protein... this is good to know! Thanks for clearing that up, James! (y)

Interesting! So all excess protein in general is converted and stored as uric acid, not just animal protein... this is good to know! Thanks for clearing that up, James! (y)

Yup, according to this guy that studies roaches at least. I read about that I think like a year or so ago and was pretty surprised. I think the reason animal protein so often has a link with gout is that roaches being fed dog/cat food are getting super doses of protein in comparison to seeds or something. Like trying to eat the same protein a chicken breast would have with a vegan source, it would take a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom