Good for baby Veiled ?

Kristof

Hey guys, so I'm looking at getting a veiled chameleon and was making a little "list" of stuff I'm going to buy for his setup. I attached a screenshot and was wondering if with this stuff I could make a proper habitat for a baby. I have a strict $300 budget and right now I'm up to $225 so anything you recommend (That i could preferably get from LLLReptile) would be great! Thanks guys!

screenshot_2-png.84250

I don't see your screenshot (I'm on my cell and just see a broken link).

You can get everything you need for $300 if you are careful with what you buy, but likely won't include the cost of the chameleon. I would also strongly recommend that you put together a vet savings account of a few hundred bucks just in case. LLL Reptile is a great source for stuff.

It's a pain, but if you can type up your list, I'd be happy to help you work through it. There are a lot of products out there that people end up buying and not needing.

This might be helpful too. This is a blog post an experienced member put together on the costs of owning a chameleon. It might help you weed out things you don't need and help save some money on certain products.

http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/03/average-cost-of-owning-chameleon.html?m=1

I don't see your screenshot (I'm on my cell and just see a broken link).

You can get everything you need for $300 if you are careful with what you buy, but likely won't include the cost of the chameleon. I would also strongly recommend that you put together a vet savings account of a few hundred bucks just in case. LLL Reptile is a great source for stuff.

It's a pain, but if you can type up your list, I'd be happy to help you work through it. There are a lot of products out there that people end up buying and not needing.

This might be helpful too. This is a blog post an experienced member put together on the costs of owning a chameleon. It might help you weed out things you don't need and help save some money on certain products.

http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/03/average-cost-of-owning-chameleon.html?m=1

No worries, heres what I got so far :

- Baby Veiled Chameleon
- 65 gallon chameleon package ( comes with the next 8 items )
- 24" fluorescent hood fixture
- 4 Quart Green Sphagnum Moss
- 65 gallon basic Reptarium (28x16.5x30)
- 72 Inch Vine
- Exo Terra 100 Watt Daytime Heat Lamp
- Exo Terra 18" Repti Glo 5.0 UVB Bulb
- Zilla Regular Ceramic Dome Lamp 8.5 inch
- Zoo Med high range thermometer
- Small Ficus Tree (live)
- Small Dwarf Umbrella Tree (live)
- T-Rex Large Bio Vine 6 Feet
- Zoo Med Big Dripper
- Exo Terra Pressure Spray Bottle

All this is currently $243.42 (including shipping)

These will be must haves and be given as follows

supplements

Calcium without d3 given at almost every feeding
Calcium with d3 every 2 weeks
A multivitamin also given every 2 weeks (not at same time as d3 and not dusted with anything else)

Supplements will run prob $25 for all 3 powders.

Last edited:
Is this a package deal, can you swap bulbs?

The 100w is overkill by a huge margin unless he is basking outside in the winter in Canada. Also go to a dollar store and pick up a soft white incandescent bulb for heat. You don't need a fancy basking bulb. Also I say soft white because clear bulbs can have hot spots where light focuses more, the white coating will even it out just in case.

The 100w is overkill by a huge margin unless he is basking outside in the winter in canada.

Lol Bob is right km using a 50 and its fine sometimes with ambient even that's a bit much. The Uvb is good so that's a plus

Thanks everyone!
Regarding the supplements, I have most of them but would you guys recommend repashy calcium plus? Thats what I use for my Leo's and beardie right now.

The 100w is overkill by a huge margin unless he is basking outside in the winter in Canada. Also go to a dollar store and pick up a soft white incandescent bulb for heat. You don't need a fancy basking bulb. Also I say soft white because clear bulbs can have hot spots where light focuses more, the white coating will even it out just in case.

Yeah it is a package deal but I will probably buy a seperate light, and use that one for my beardie :p What watt would be better for Southern California - 50w or 75w ?

Yeah it is a package deal but I will probably buy a seperate light, and use that one for my beardie :p What watt would be better for Southern California - 50w or 75w ?

50w they deal well in temp drops at night (they actactually need it) for heat in SoCial id say a 50 would do you fine

This is a pretty solid list! Obviously you have done some reading, so kudos to you. A few thoughts:

Does the reptarium have an optional drainage tray? You'll probably want that if it does.
Get the Little Dripper instead. The Big Dripper is giant.
Don't use the moss. It just makes a mess that's hard to keep clean once it's wet.
Get two extra vines, like the Exo terra jungle vines.
Is the zoo med thermometer digital or the dial kind? Get a digital dual thermometer and hygrometer.
Get a timer surge protector for your lights. I have the zilla one, it works fine.
Also buy pure calcium with no D3 and a multivitamin with D3. But the smallest container. Supplements last a long time.
Get a pair of those long tongs if you have issues touching bugs (like I do, lol).

Other than that, I think you're good to go! You can get started with what you have plus the supplements, then add other items as you can. It would be nice to get everything ready for your cham first - check the shipping and see if it makes any difference if you order them separately. It might be the same.

When you're ready for an automated misting system, save up for the MistKing. Don't spend your money on the cheaper ones.

Post photos when your baby arrives!

The calcium plus would work as your multivitamin. You'll still need pure calcium with no D3.

I agree, 50 w might be what you need, but check your temperatures. I agree to save your money on fancy basking lights and use regular house bulbs. Remember that the new higher efficiency bulbs don't put out as much heat as the old incandescents.

This is a pretty solid list! Obviously you have done some reading, so kudos to you. A few thoughts:

Does the reptarium have an optional drainage tray? You'll probably want that if it does.
Get the Little Dripper instead. The Big Dripper is giant.
Don't use the moss. It just makes a mess that's hard to keep clean once it's wet.
Get two extra vines, like the Exo terra jungle vines.
Is the zoo med thermometer digital or the dial kind? Get a digital dual thermometer and hygrometer.
Get a timer surge protector for your lights. I have the zilla one, it works fine.
Also buy pure calcium with no D3 and a multivitamin with D3. But the smallest container. Supplements last a long time.
Get a pair of those long tongs if you have issues touching bugs (like I do, lol).

Other than that, I think you're good to go! You can get started with what you have plus the supplements, then add other items as you can. It would be nice to get everything ready for your cham first - check the shipping and see if it makes any difference if you order them separately. It might be the same.

When you're ready for an automated misting system, save up for the MistKing. Don't spend your money on the cheaper ones.

Post photos when your baby arrives!

Thanks so much for your help! No, i don't believe it does have a tray. You don't need substrate right so will it matter? I will make sure to post pics when he arrives also haha :)

Correct, no substrate, just sometimes it's hard to control the dripper water. At some point everyone comes home to a flood - a drain tray helps minimize the chance. :)

Sure. I know some people use paper towels or change out regular towels in the morning.

Really depends on if you keep it on the screen and how far from the basking area it is.

I would just go with trial and error with a few different bulbs, like I said if you buy them from a dollar store or similar they are cheap cheap cheap.

I am using a 15w bulb to get low 80s for my female veiled. The basking area is almost directly under the light though, no more than 6" from the top screen. I like it this way because even if she climbs the screen she wont be burned even hanging from directly under the bulb.

Really depends on if you keep it on the screen and how far from the basking area it is.

I would just go with trial and error with a few different bulbs, like I said if you buy them from a dollar store or similar they are cheap cheap cheap.

Every dollar saved is good and can go towards the MK or a little savings in case a vet visit pops up, im waiting for my mistking to arrive, I dont know if me or my cham will enjoy it nore

Back
Top Bottom