Good Chameleon Breeder?

scs

Hi everyone! I went to a reptile show last weekend, and I came across a breeder, Craig Long from total-e-chamz, who had gorgeous and healthy looking chameleons on display.
My own female veiled chameleon recently passed, and I'm so heartbroken and miss her very much, so it was nice to hang out near the chameleons he had. If I do decide to eventually get another chameleon, it would be a male Panther.
Anyway, has anyone heard of total-e-chamz and had any (good or bad) experiences to share? I'm not sure if he is a good breeder to buy a chameleon from...
Or does anyone know of good chameleon breeders in western PA?
I'm working on sanitizing Iggy's cage, just in case it was a parasite (even though we gave her medicine) and not exhaustion that killed her.
When my family and I are ready for a chameleon, is total-e-chamz a good place to go?

Thank you for your help!

In a different thread, I had asked what to look for in a breeder, and someone said a 'small-time' breeder. I asked the breeder and he said he "only had around 3,000 chameleons." I'm guessing that isn't necessarily 'small-time', but I just thought I'd add that information, considering I don't even know how many chameleons a 'small time' breeder has.

In a different thread, I had asked what to look for in a breeder, and someone said a 'small-time' breeder. I asked the breeder and he said he "only had around 3,000 chameleons." I'm guessing that isn't necessarily 'small-time', but I just thought I'd add that information, considering I don't even know how many chameleons a 'small time' breeder has.

I consider small time as no more that 10 or 15 adults. You should check out Canvas Chameleons and they are in PA. http://www.canvaschams.com

Thanks for your help and suggestions, ob1ob and jannb!

Is there a database or compilation of breeders that I can look through?

Check the forum sponsors. Upper right hand coener.

My personal choice will always be Kammerfloge Kreations.

Thank you! I'll check out those breeders and see if they can ship to Pittsburgh.

So it is okay to order a chameleon online and ship it versus going to a breeder and making sure it looks healthy before you buy it?

And the shipping doesn't harm the chameleon at all either? I'm just a bit worried because a few of the websites I've looked at so far advertise 'Live Arrival Guaranteed' like it is a serious issue when ordering a chameleon...

We can most certainly ship to Pittsburgh, pretty much any breeder that ships is able to send them without any problems all over the US.

Shipping doesn't harm the chameleon at all, only causes a little extra stress on them at first but they are only on their journey for a few hours and since the box is nice and dark they typically curl up and sleep for most, if not all of the trip.

We along with many other breeders offer "Live Arrival Guarantee" as just a piece of mind for the customer ordering. We understand it is difficult to spend a large amount of money on an animal and then have to be worried that is could show up deceased and you are out that money so this is why Live Arrival is offered to ensure you will have your chameleon alive and well and if god forbid something did happen he/she would be replaced or refunded. I'm knocking on wood but I can say that I have never needed to honor this guarantee, thankfully.

It is always better to see the chameleon in person but with any of the site sponsors you will have no problems at all. I'm always willing to send plenty of pictures prior to shipping so you can see every detail of the little ones and ensure they are 100% healthy. We, along with the other sponsor also offer an extended health guarantees as well so that if something was missed and there is a problem that again arrangements are in place to correct and resolve any issues that might arise.

Hopefully this helps, please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns and I would be more than happy to help.

Is it okay to buy a chameleon from a reptile show? Or is that too dangerous with any cross contamination?

Is it okay to buy a chameleon from a reptile show? Or is that too dangerous with any cross contamination?

Shows are not overly "dangerous" due to contamination, but consider that the chams there have been hauled around, been on display, and maybe traveling from one show to another and may be stressed out by the time you buy one. You will also see wildcaught imports as well as captive bred. Again, if you don't know which vendors to watch out for you may still end up with a less-than-healthy cham. That's not to say all show animals are poor, just that you may not have as much chance to research the vendors right on site. Then you have to travel home with whatever you bought there. Maybe the perfect compromise is to ask a breeder if they will be at the next show in your area so you can arrange to see their animals in person.

There is a monthly Pittsburgh Reptile Show, and a vender there (total-e-chamz) said he would be back next month. Would it be okay to buy a chameleon from such a big time breeder and from a reptile show? I really want to be able to see the chameleon in person before I purchase it, but I don't want to risk buying a sick chameleon. It was so awful and heartbreaking when my veiled passed from an (still unknown) illness. I don't want to repeat that experience, so I would take the chameleon to the vet, and/or just have it's feces tested for parasites, within the first month or so of having it.

I would not buy from a show. If you want to see the chameleon then drive to the Canvas Chameleon crews. :) I highly recommend a through cleaning of your old cage and buying new plants vines and branches or you could pass on to your new chameleon what your old chameleon had. I recommend using 40 to 60 volume peroxide, the kind you buy at a beauty supply store. Mix it 50/50 with hot water, spray throughly and let set for a while and then rinse and let set in the hot sun a few hours.

Try to purchase as close to home as possible, less box shaking around and/or dropping. I would definitley say no to shows. Chams can become very stressed over a weekend away from home. Parasites, also. I would stay with Canvas, if at possible. I truly like them and Nathan is pretty quick to answer questions (correctly, I may add).

I was planning to disinfect the cage this weekend, and I'll definitely consider Canvas Chameleons. Thank you so much for all of your help! I think all of my questions are answered (for now;)).

I went through Canvas Chams. Nick is amazing and answered all my stupid questions quickly. They have amazing sires and not to mention beautiful setups.

i know once I am ready to buy again (hopefully soon) that im going with canvaschameleons. Ive sent them inquires and they have provided in depth, timely responses and their sires look incredible!!!

Back
Top Bottom