going to buy a new cham tomorrow or sunday - need help/input

burnedrose

I've finally gotten over the passing of my Kukui (even though i still cry at times) and now I'm getting depressed not having a cham. I talked to a few local SoCal owners (you know who you are - thanks!) so I feel more prepped for the climate out here.

However, I am going to be buying my first panther from LLL, since they have Nosy Faly and Sambava x Ambilobe cross in stock. I will be going to their store (hopefully) tomorrow to check out the babies.

First off, I don't know if I want the Faly or the cross. I love the red, white and blue of the Faly, especially the red rain on the dramatic background. But I've seen some Falys that have hardly any red rain or white and it makes me wonder what the typical coloration is. I also really love the vibrant oranges of the Sambava and the dramatic barring of the ambilobe (the Y barring VS the sambava U barring), but I don't know if I want a cross, in case of breeding down the line. Opinions?

Secondly, I have a vague idea of how to check for sex, what with the cloacoa bump on the males. But I'm not quite sure how dramatic of a difference it would be. LLL doesn't guarantee the sex of any of their panthers. Does anyone have any pictures or ways to tell that there is, for sure, a male? Any pointers would help.

Also, I did talk to a few people about SoCal climate and how different it is from living inside in upstate NY. My boyfriend doesn't want the cham inside ... yet. He wants the dogs to get used to the cham out on the patio (they only go out there right before a walk or while we are eating dinner) before introducing the cham inside. So, someone I talked to was telling me that SoCal night temps can dip down to the low 40's in my area. They suggested getting a ceramic heater bulb, just for night time, since the daytime temps are perfect for chams out here (60's to 80's, year round, on the cooler end in the winter, on the warmer end during the summer). However, the other person I talked to said no ceramic heater. So I am confused. I don't want to use the night bulb, for obvious reasons with the sleep cycle, but I've never used a ceramic heater bulb, so I haven't the faintest idea about them, one way or the other. One guy also said that the water out here isn't the best - I don't know if that means that I should purify it or what. The water I used in NY was from my fridge and that was filtered like you wouldn't believe.

Sorry about the long post.
TL;DR version:
1: Nosy Faly or Sambava x Ambilobe cross?
2: How can you definitely tell a baby male panther from a female?
3: ceramic heater or no ceramic heater for cooler night time temps?
4: Water purifier or no water purifier?

Back
Top Bottom