Going Bioactive

hiddenflaws

Avid Member
So I am planning on switching to bioactive in the near future. I’ve been wanting to do this before I even picked Pascal up. However, I am new to having chameleons so ofc I am completely confused on where to start.
First off, I have a male veiled chameleon and this set up will be in a Exo Terra 24” x 18” x 36” Glass Terrarium. Planning on putting a ficus plant in there for sure, but the rest of it is still being looked at. I am VERY new to all of this. Lighting, plants, substrate, etc. I would suggest being as clear as possible if you offer advice. I want to know what you think would be a good start for me.

An 18" male veiled wont be very happy in a 18" tank...

But to get you started...

https://www.thebiodude.com/products/veiled-chameleon-bioactive-kit

Im not saying to buy the kit, but look at the "recipe".

But you could do something super simple to start with:

peatmoss from the hardware store

A deep concrete mixing tub

Gravel

A led grow light

easy plants like pothos, a few different dracaenas, and maybe a spider plant. Once you get your green thumb you can go for Schefflera and hibiscus.

Fill the bottom 2-3" with gravel, the rest with peat. Plant. Odds are you will need more light than just your UVB, so you will need an extra 6500k bulb, or a LED grow light, or even a well placed halogen wide flood.

I'm in the same boat!!! :D

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, but find myself wanting to understand the science more. Wondering if there are good books.

I haven't found a complete front to back guide for chameleons, with what lights and misters etc. Been trying to piece together as I learn.

An 18" male veiled wont be very happy in a 18" tank...

But to get you started...

https://www.thebiodude.com/products/veiled-chameleon-bioactive-kit

Im not saying to buy the kit, but look at the "recipe".

But you could do something super simple to start with:

peatmoss from the hardware store

A deep concrete mixing tub

Gravel

A led grow light

easy plants like pothos, a few different dracaenas, and maybe a spider plant. Once you get your green thumb you can go for Schefflera and hibiscus.

Fill the bottom 2-3" with gravel, the rest with peat. Plant. Odds are you will need more light than just your UVB, so you will need an extra 6500k bulb, or a LED grow light, or even a well placed halogen wide flood.

It's not an 18 inch tank. It's 18 deep, so are Dragonstrands. And lots of other screen cages. It is 24 wide though. The only difference between that cage and a dragonstrand breeder is 6 inches in height.

Pure pest moss is not going to work, because pest moss won't drain. You need coarseness to the soil. Peat moss is also extremely acidic soil. A dracena will love the acidity most the other plants suggested will not. This is why when adding course, people use sand or perlite, it buffers back the PH.

Some plants will survive in pure Peat. They are swamp plants, some CPs, some semi aquatic ferns, ect.

I will make a in depth bioguide today. I know good karma was making one too, not sure the status. I have been meaning to, I will try to do it today.

It's not an 18 inch tank. It's 18 deep, so are Dragonstrands. And lots of other screen cages. It is 24 wide though. The only difference between that cage and a dragonstrand breeder is 6 inches in height.

Pure pest moss is not going to work, because pest moss won't drain. You need coarseness to the soil. Peat moss is also extremely acidic soil. A dracena will love the acidity most the other plants suggested will not. This is why when adding course, people use sand or perlite, it buffers back the PH.

Some plants will survive in pure Peat. They are swamp plants, some CPs, some semi aquatic ferns, ect.

I will make a in depth bioguide today. I know good karma was making one too, not sure the status. I have been meaning to, I will try to do it today.
@cyberlocc i was hoping you would add a thread I tagged both you and Amanda . I can’t really help here . I do not have enough knowledge of glass/ w bio . I have only started with Leo’s ( Jake ) . I’m happy to see you will also start a thread .

@cyberlocc i was hoping you would add a thread I tagged both you and Amanda . I can’t really help here . I do not have enough knowledge of glass/ w bio . I have only started with Leo’s ( Jake ) . I’m happy to see you will also start a thread .

That was the other one you tagged me in.

That's why I said, we need all us Bio folks to make blogs or something that we can link. This question had been coming up more and more lately.

That was the other one you tagged me in.

That's why I said, we need all us Bio folks to make blogs or something that we can link. This question had been coming up more and more lately.
Lol I’ve been tagging you left and right ;) . Like a little Bird chirping in the ear , hint hint lol . I know your busy so is Amanda . I also know the info will be correct and Thorough .

My life is absolute chaos right now. Beyond documenting some pictures from my build and idly doodling outlines during break, I've made exactly 0 progress. I'm currently on day 6 of an 11 day stretch of shifts, and it's not looking like it's going to slow down anytime soon. :(

It's unfortunate as I really wanted to give back to the community, but if you feel like whipping something up have at 'er! Let me know if you want any pictures or whatever. Maybe I'll just do up a bit on making walls. I like artsy stuff haha!

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, but find myself wanting to understand the science more. Wondering if there are good books.

I really enjoyed "Bio-Activity and the Theory of Wild Re-Creation" by John Courteney Smith. It's a good read, and goes over a lot of the science behind bioactivity without being inaccessible to the layman. It's not a how-to guide, but it explains why certain elements are necessary and grants a deeper understanding. My copy is very well loved!

My life is absolute chaos right now. Beyond documenting some pictures from my build and idly doodling outlines during break, I've made exactly 0 progress. I'm currently on day 6 of an 11 day stretch of shifts, and it's not looking like it's going to slow down anytime soon. :(

It's unfortunate as I really wanted to give back to the community, but if you feel like whipping something up have at 'er! Let me know if you want any pictures or whatever. Maybe I'll just do up a bit on making walls. I like artsy stuff haha!

I really enjoyed "Bio-Activity and the Theory of Wild Re-Creation" by John Courteney Smith. It's a good read, and goes over a lot of the science behind bioactivity without being inaccessible to the layman. It's not a how-to guide, but it explains why certain elements are necessary and grants a deeper understanding. My copy is very well loved!

Haha! That's funny, I am writing up a small guide thing, and I too am using the word Bio-Activity, capping the A too! Too funny.

That word doesn't really mean what we use it for, But it's acceptable enough I think.

More than one guide, can, will always help! You can still make one too! The more folks that sing the praises the better! Plus @Decadancin is always saying my posts are intimidating :p. I am going to try to make this one not so, but you could probably make one even less so than I ever could lol :p. Or Maybe Micheal just likes picking on me :p.

Last edited:
Haha! That's funny, I am writing up a small guide thing, and I too am using the word Bio-Activity, capping the A too! Too funny.

That word doesn't really mean what we use it for, But it's acceptable enough I think.

Yeah, we definitely misuse the word. But it's also a convenient one word way to describe the keeping style, and is technically part of it haha!

I'm interested to see what you come up with! I'll focus on the artsy bits, then. That's my favorite part, anyway! :p

Back
Top Bottom