Goatloading with oats

you said..."I would think all the supplemental calcium our reptiles get daily should be more than enough to compensate for the phytates in oatmeal, not to mention they'd likely be used up in the feeders' metabolism, so little—if any—would be left for a reptile's metabolism to be affected"...but isn't the calcium were giving supposed to balance the phosphorous in the insects...so how does it compensate for the phytates in the oatmeal too? Are we giving enough for both?
I'm not sure that we need to compensate for both; IDK how much available phytate would still be present in a feeder with a gutfull of oatmeal. Or would it all be used up?

I can't point you to a study, but my eyes & gut tell me that we either are or could be giving enough calcium for both.
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-chameleon-nutrition/

Phytates also stop the absorption of iron and zinc.
That's a whole 'nother ball-o-worms... :p But... that's a lot of phytates—or a lot for those phytates to do without getting used up. 🤷‍♂️

Dubias have a relatively long digestive tract hence why they so prized for gutloading. so as long as they are off the growth diet onto gutload for it to pass through cant see it causing negative effects.
Giving a high calcium diet to some feeders can cause moulting issues to note

Back
Top Bottom