Gnats?

I’m having a serious gnat issue in Robert’s enclosure. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve been cleaning his cage out twice a week and scrubbing everything down. I’ve even been washing his plants consistently and leaving them outside for periods of time. No matter what I do, they come back. I leave gnat traps around the cage. I have no idea where else in my house they’d be coming from. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?? They’re driving me crazy.

Yeah I have. Cleaning didnt help. It tended to get worse when I bought large amounts of crickets from online. But I switched to dubia and they're lasting forever and breeding so it hasn't been issue lately... not sure how to help though they're kinda pesky

Yeah I have. Cleaning didnt help. It tended to get worse when I bought large amounts of crickets from online. But I switched to dubia and they're lasting forever and breeding so it hasn't been issue lately... not sure how to help though they're kinda pesky

I scrubbed the cricket cage too. But I actually don’t see any gnats around that area.

I have 3 snakes and I managed to bring mites home from a petco enclosure, did all the cleaning and disinfecting I could inside the enclosure and yet they continued to come back :rolleyes: A snakekeeper recommended this product because as long as your animals aren't exposed to this directly and as long as what you spray can ventilate for 10 minutes it does a great job. No more mites in the enclosure. I even use it preventably. Some cham keepers here will have to approve as I have never had to use it in a chameleon enclosure though.

You could try a thin layer of sand on top of the soil in your containers. It could reduce the gnats. If they are slightly larger and seen quickly scurrying around on surfaces then it is likely phorid flies. For them I would look for decaying feeders.

They do look like phorid flies to me. You need to make sure that your feeders are kept very clean and old food is not left around. It will help.

They do look like phorid flies to me. You need to make sure that your feeders are kept very clean and old food is not left around. It will help.
I’ve cleaned it out about 4 times now. Ugh. It might be something in my geckos cage. I’ll have to check it out. Thank you!

Here are the dead ones from my trap. They look like they have little stripes on them.
This don’t look like gnats more like a fly like @Decadancin has said. But if you have fungus gnats I got rid of mine by following a tip from a rep from Mistking he had told me to add a PC fan for air circulation. It was explained to me like this humidity is fine but if have stagnate air this is how you will get fungus gnats. And only around a week or so after adding the fav I have no more gnats.

Back
Top Bottom