Glass terrarium substrate

KyleFitzz

How can I set up the bottom of my cage so that I have hydro balls and then I know I need an aluminum screen and then I want to plant live plants. So what would I need to do that

How can I set up the bottom of my cage so that I have hydro balls and then I know I need an aluminum screen and then I want to plant live plants. So what would I need to do that

Um, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. It sounds as if you want to create a permeable substrate layer in a glass cage. First, pour the hydro balls into the empty tank to cover the bottom several inches deep, lay a piece of fiberglass window screen on the top, add a layer of activated charcoal to filter drainage water, another piece of screen, and then add topsoil on top of the screen to support the plants. The screen helps keep all the soil from drifting down to the bottom of the tank. Is this setup for pygmy chams? If not, I would not suggest doing it.

This type of cage bottom will eventually turn into a boggy mess unless there is some sort of drainage or faster evaporation. I haven't used a substrate setup like this for arboreal chams and don't really advise it. This depth of soil won't support live plants that are large enough to support the cham's weight as it climbs around. The topsoil has a lot of larger pieces that the cham can swallow and cause intestinal blockages or injuries. If the filtration layer isn't working right it can harbor molds and bacteria which can harm your cham. If your feeders are loose they can and will get buried or lost in the substrate, die and rot, or end up eating grungy stuff (like cham poop) that you don't want your cham ingesting later.

it can be done, but I am from the school of no have nothing in the bottom is the best, due bacteria and risk for indigestion

Back
Top Bottom