Glass enclosures

Reptilelover47

Established Member
I have a random question...

I'm seeing people in a facebook group claiming that it's safe to keep chameleons in glass enclosures. I've always been told otherwise and I think the reasoning is sound.

Are there are situations where glass is acceptable or even preferable for certain species? ...Purely out of curiosity. I would always prefer screen.

For babies or juveniles where humidity is of more high importance. I personally have a male Juvenile in a hybrid glass /screen cage right now do to how dry it is here and the heat im pumping into the house doesn't help. Glass holds humidity better then screen. I wouldn't recommend it for an adult though.

I have a random question...

I'm seeing people in a facebook group claiming that it's safe to keep chameleons in glass enclosures. I've always been told otherwise and I think the reasoning is sound.

Are there are situations where glass is acceptable or even preferable for certain species? ...Purely out of curiosity. I would always prefer screen.
Theres glass like an aquarium and theres glass like the Exo Terra range.

Any form of 'tank' is a big no no.

The Exo Terra's are screen topped with vents that create a chimney effect for air flow.

Both my chams, both types of gecko and my BRB are in Exo Terra's.

Both chams and the crestie are fully bio active setups so are much better suited to this enclosure than screen.

Low humidity areas also benefit from glass. How many times do you see advice to 'wrap shower curtains around 3 sides'? Why have all 4 sides screen at all then?

I think the Dragon Stand clear sides are the perfect medium ground. I can't justify changing so many out though.

I don't believe the general screen good, glass bad arguments. I do however think you need to plan and take care with glass to make sure you provide the correct environment for the species in your care.

Well, as some of the newest style enclosures are coming out, it is now an option of having the "clearside" but the top and a side at least are screen. It is NEVER a good idea to have a full glass enclosure because the humidity will cause a growth of bacteria and cause health issues within the environment and for the cham. So it needs "to breathe" --- I prefer Screen, although, I wrap 3 sides of it with marine 20 gauge vinyl and then covered that with decorative curtain to help control the humidity and give my cham the security of feeling "cozy" and safe when he escapes to the back within his jungle, so it works for creating glens for them for hiding which is necessary for them. This would be true for most chams.

I especially like glass enclosures for small species of chameleon. When it comes to panthers and veileds (as well as even bigger species), I prefer screen mostly because of cost and the size options are more catered towards chams.

But when it comes to carpet chameleons, pygmies, and tiny calumma species, I significantly prefer to use appropriately sized exoterra models. I think they look cleaner, are easier to make bioactive, and are just generally more appealing to the eye. As long as they are setup appropriately, there is no problem with them

Back
Top Bottom