Gizzy`s visit to the vet

sallyb

Avid Member
Well we have just arrived home from the vet with good and bad news. The lump on her leg is nothing to worry about so we are very pleased about that. The vet said we are doing everything right and that`s she`s in great shape. Now for the bad bit - Gizzy is full of eggs (explains the weight gain) and may need to have them removed and be spayed. The vet told us that if she has not laid them by the end of February then she really will need the op. Obviously we will do whatever it takes to make sure she is happy and healthy and are seriously considering the op sooner rather than later as she is showing no interest in the laying bin at all.

I would really value any advice you guys could offer as I just don`t know how i can encourage her to lay. he vet mention using a different set up for laying i.e a different mix (i`m using play sand and coconut fibre in a large bowl) or a different approach to the bin itself so perhaps she could crawl inside it or something. She`s doing really well at the moment eating and drinking etc and she`s very active. :confused:

What is the lump on her leg? Did the vet say? I would do surgey as a last resort.......surgery can kill them. Is she still eating? Normally they will stop eating before laying eggs and roam around allot. You could try a larger laying bin and make sure that it is at least 12 inches deep.

She didn`t say what the lump was just that it was nothing to worry about and that it isn`t a parasite or anything sinister.

Gizzy has been roaming her viv a lot, but her eating and drinking are as normal. She did have a very small dig in the bin a few weeks ago, but now seems to really dislike having it in her space. The vet gave me the impression that she could really do with the op now, but was prepared to see if she laid before the end of Feb. I don`t know whether we should book her in and get it over with or wait until Feb, but she is getting very big. I will look around for a different, deeper bin tomorrow and try her with that, thanks :)

Poor Gizzy (and you, Sally)! When Lily laid she had a choice of either sand or potting compost and both times she ignored the sand and used ther compost. I suppose anything 'earthy' is more natural to them. Amy has a tub of coconut fibre (I think it is anyway - I used a block of the expanding substrate for spiders) and sand mixed.

How much does she weigh and do you have any recent whole body shots from the side and above?

Thanks Miss Lily - Gizzy has the sand and coconut fibre too, but she refuses to go near it. I am going to try a different mix if i can get some ideas on what to use. She seems really off it since we got home - hopefully just the stress of the trip. She behaved really well bless her and didn`t mind the vet examining her or anything. It`s an agonising decision as to wether we should book her straight in or risk waiting. Has anyone else had the same experience ? Any advice would be great.

Camille would not lay in a small laying bin. We fixed her a large trash can......like the kind you would wheel out to the side of the road for trash pick up. I used washed playsand about 14 inches deep. She had been off food for several days and wouldn't stay in her tree (she's free range) she had been roaming all over the place for days. We put her in the trash can and within an hour she was digging. A pic is in the link below. I would be scared to have surgery unless she was egg bound and you just had to. If she's still eating it's just she's probably not ready to lay yet. Try a big bucket and see it that helps. Post some pictures of her, too.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/camilles-eggs-43-them-they-fertile-28568/

Thanks Jann i`ll get something in the morning and see if i can coax her into it. I only have this picture in the last week, but will try to get a couple tomorrow too as she`s pretty wiped out tonight. The vet seemed adamant that she does need the eggs removed and speying, but i don`t want to risk her life if we can just get her to lay. Thank you all I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• P12-12-09_09.33[01].JPG
    P12-12-09_09.33[01].JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 79
CAVEAT: I don't have a female and have no experience with this. Maybe some people with experience (SoCaliSon, e.g.) can chime in. Oxytocin is sometimes given to induce laying, and would seem, at an uneducated glance, to be easier on Gizzy than an operation - but I know it's dangerous if not administered properly. But you might want to see if that's an option.

Thanks Hallenhe - I have just had a lengthy conversation with the vet and also asked about the Oxitocin and if it would be an option for Gizzy. They feel that the best thing for her at this stage is the surgery. If by some chance we could get her to lay the eggs she would still be likely to suffer this problem again in the future so speying her would be a safeguard against this as well as being able to remove the eggs.

It has been an agonising decision, but we have agreed to take her in tomorrow for the pre-op assessment, she will stay over for a couple of days so they can operate and ensure her recuperation goes well. She should be home on Saturday all being well. I`m dreading leaving her, but if it makes her better and able to enjoy the rest of her days free of eggs then it will be worth it.

How well do you know this vet and how well does this vet know chameleons? I would highly recommend a second opinion from a reputuable chameleon vet before I would allow this surgery on my chameleon.

I have not seen the vet before today and i also spoke to another vet over the phone this evening as I didn`t want leap into something unnecessary. Both vets have many years experience with chameleons and have recently performed the surgery on other chams. I am very reluctant to go ahead with it, but long term the risk of this happening again is big unless she is spayed. The vet said that each time she produces the eggs that it will shortened her life expectancy more so if she runs into the same problems, so spaying is the best option for her. The two vets i have dealt with are the only two in Yorkshire that are experienced in carrying out the surgery (i suppose the huge bill reflects that). I have complete faith that the vet carrying out Gizzy`s op has her best interests at heart and will take very good care of her. They are also going to do some other tests prior to surgery to ensure they have the complete picture before going ahead. I`m just praying i`m doing the right thing for my little girl.

Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes. I`ll post just as soon as i know anything tomorrow.

Hpe all goes well for you and Gizzy. I'll be thinking of you. Didn't the vet suggest taking xrays first before opting for surgery?

Thanks Miss Lily - the vet is going to take xrays and bloods in the morning prior to surgery just to be certain he knows everything before going ahead.

Back
Top Bottom