Gizzy eating apple

sallyb

Avid Member
Gizzy just ate her first piece of apple from my other half`s hand !!! Even better thought, he offered her a piece and she took it right out of his fingers :D:D:D Sorry, i am really excited i never expected her to that so soon.

She loves it - she had three small pieces she ate them so fast you`d think she`d never been fed :D I have tried brocolli, grapes, banana and others, but so far she`s not bothered with them. I guess today she just got curious. :)

That's cool! I tried Lily with pieces of grape, but she couldn't get the hang of it! She kept trying to shoot the grape but it didn't stick to her tongue! Perhaps I'll try apple instead. Broccoli isn't good for feeding and gutloading, can't remember the reason, but I'm sure someone else will!

Brocolli, i think i was told it has something in it that slows down how fast the chameleon can get calcium? or something along those lines.... im sure i could be wrong :p ill look around for it..

The Broccoli calcuim thing is confusing!

Absorption of calcium from three intrinsically labeled Brussica sp. vegetables was measured in 15 normal women in a three-way randomized design. The test load of calcium was about 83 mg for each source. Fractional calcium absorption from broccoli averaged 0.478 ± 0.089, from bok choy stems, 0.519 ± 0.089, from bok choy leaves, 0.520 ± 0.074, and from kale 0.527 ± 0.091. These differences were both absolutely small and statistically insignificant. Mean absorbability of milk calcium ingested at the same load has been previously shown to be 0.463 ± .095. This value is slightly but significantly lower than the average value for the Brassica sources combined (0.514 ± 0.090). Thus, Brussicu vegetable sources exhibit excellent calcium bioavailability.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119293677/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Calcium absorption from milk is approximately 32 percent whereas broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, turnip greens, and (most importantly) kale range between 40-64 percent. Beans and bean products, such as tofu, are also considerably rich in calcium. Note: spinach is one exception and does not absorb calcium like other vegetables.

http://www.all-creatures.org/fact/fact-20080509.shtml

Metabolic bone disease usually can be linked to diets consisting primarily of head
lettuce, carrots, squash and cucumbers; melons, grapes, bananas and other fruit; some
greens such as spinach (Spinacia oleracea; which, although it contains an adequate
Ca: PO4 value, also contains oxalic acid with reacts with Ca to form calcium oxalate, a
relatively insoluble salt); and invertebrates such as mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) and
crickets (Acheta domestica). Each of these items is rich in available P, but very deficient in
gross or available Ca (Table 1; Frye, 1995). Not only will Ca be lost to an iguana’s bones if
it eats spinach frequently, but excessive calcium oxalate crystals can damage the kidneys
sufficiently to cause uremia and death from renal failure.

BRASSICA PLANTS
One of the best sources of Ca that also contains acceptable amounts of P is the Brassicas
(Table 4). This singular group of vegetables is remarkable because its members are so
kohlrabi are all members of this nutritious family of vegetables.
The Ca content of vegetables comprising the family Brassicaceae varies widely, not
only between plants within the genus, but also within the same plants, depending on which
part of the edible plant is analysed (Table 4). For example, broccoli leaves are substantially
richer in Ca than both the stems and flowerets, even though the parts may be separated
from each other on the same stalk by only a few centimetres or less; and turnip greens are
one of richest leafy sources of Ca, but the bulbous turnip roots contain only a very modest
amount of this essential mineral.

http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...70a.pdf&code=11cef83b9f82219a3e3ad43a422129d3

Can somebody clarify that issue?

Last edited:
Oh dear, i think i`ll can the Brocolli for now until i know more. Thanks for that.
The funny thing about today was that Gizzy didn`t shoot at the apple, she leant across and took it with her mouth. :)

I did try grapes, but she seems frightened of them :eek:

Back
Top Bottom