Gifted chameleon

ChaseAced

A friend of mine was given a chameleon by his mother. He doesn't want it so he's giving it to me. Problem is nobody involved knows what species of chameleon it is. Am I correct in guessing veiled? I've only ever had ball pythons and crested geckos so I need to do my research before they give it to me. Especially since I don't know much about these guys. Super appreciate any help with identification, thanks!
IMG_20210511_140632.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, he's a veiled! I'd recommend reading and listening to everything on Bill Strand's https://chameleonacademy.com/ His website and podcasts have the most up to date and accurate info on chameleon husbandry! What do you know about chameleon care so far? Filling out this form would be a huge help for both of us to figure out what you know and if it's correct!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome, he's a veiled! I'd recommend reading and listening to everything on Bill Strand's https://chameleonacademy.com/ His website and podcasts have the most up to date and accurate info on chameleon husbandry! What do you know about chameleon care so far? Filling out this form would be a huge help for both of us to figure out what you know and if it's correct!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
So far my knowledge is limited, just got asked a couple hours ago if I could take it. I know that humidity and temperature is very important for these guys. As well as that they're fairly delicate. I know they aren't supposed to be handled much and that they like to be up high. Also know they need uvb lighting. Haven't gotten to look into feeding yet so I think that's next on my research list

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, age and all unknown
Handling - unknown currently, I won't be handling much at all unless necessary
Feeding - unknown
Supplements - unknown
Watering - planning on getting a misting system cause I don't like to leave that to my memory
History - current owner isn't taking good care of it (partially due to owner being sick, but also cause he doesn't know anything about chameleons)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, unsure on dimensions
Lighting - unknown
Temperature - unknown, usually set up thermometers where necessary
Humidity - unknown, will use hydrometer
Plants - planning on getting some
Placement - will be in living room (rather unused room) on a table to elevate the enclosure
Location - Missouri USA

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, age and all unknown
Handling - unknown currently, I won't be handling much at all unless necessary
Feeding - unknown
Supplements - unknown
Watering - planning on getting a misting system cause I don't like to leave that to my memory
History - current owner isn't taking good care of it (partially due to owner being sick, but also cause he doesn't know anything about chameleons)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, unsure on dimensions
Lighting - unknown
Temperature - unknown, usually set up thermometers where necessary
Humidity - unknown, will use hydrometer
Plants - planning on getting some
Placement - will be in living room (rather unused room) on a table to elevate the enclosure
Location - Missouri USA
Okay, don't worry too much, we'll help you get up to speed ASAP! If your friend could send you a pic of the entire cage and the lights he's using, tha't'd be super helpful! One thing you can do is get live, veiled-tested, and chameleon-safe plants, as all plants need to be live, not fake, for veileds.

Here are some great care images to get you started as well!

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 74
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 78
  • AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 79
Okay, don't worry too much, we'll help you get up to speed ASAP! If your friend could send you a pic of the entire cage and the lights he's using, tha't'd be super helpful! One thing you can do is get live, veiled-tested, and chameleon-safe plants, as all plants need to be live, not fake, for veileds.

Here are some great care images to get you started as well!
Those are super helpful! Thank you :D and this is the other photo he sent me. Since I'm not sure how big the chameleon is I can't say for certain the enclosure size. I'll ask tomorrow when it's not late. But I think from this photo that there isn't any uvb in use? They've had it for about 4months so I'm hopeful too much damage hasn't been done from that...

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_210748.jpg
    IMG_20210511_210748.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 83
Those are super helpful! Thank you :D and this is the other photo he sent me. Since I'm not sure how big the chameleon is I can't say for certain the enclosure size. I'll ask tomorrow when it's not late. But I think from this photo that there isn't any uvb in use? They've had it for about 4months so I'm hopeful too much damage hasn't been done from that...
So once you get him, you'll want to take him and any fresh fecals to an experienced chameleon vet to make sure nothing is wrong with him (which there sadly most likely will be from how he's been kept so far). His cage needs tons more live plants, branches (of multiple species and diameters, just none form any toxic or sap-producing trees), and vines (no moss or Exo Terra vines or any fake vines with leaves on them and preferably all live but Fluker's has a decent fake vine). He will cost a lot of money to get set-up right for him, plus vet appointments and possibly vet care, so keep that in mind. If you can't afford him (no shame), you can take him to a responsible and chameleon-experienced rescue.

So once you get him, you'll want to take him and any fresh fecals to an experienced chameleon vet to make sure nothing is wrong with him (which there sadly most likely will be from how he's been kept so far). His cage needs tons more live plants, branches (of multiple species and diameters, just none form any toxic or sap-producing trees), and vines (no moss or Exo Terra vines or any fake vines with leaves on them and preferably all live but Fluker's has a decent fake vine). He will cost a lot of money to get set-up right for him, plus vet appointments and possibly vet care, so keep that in mind. If you can't afford him (no shame), you can take him to a responsible and chameleon-experienced rescue.
Thankfully I've got some money I keep aside for random reptile bills. My snakes don't ever really use their emergency funds thankfully so I'll probably put it to this guy. But if I decide it's something I'm not qualified to help with I'll probably follow that advice. I don't want this little one to die after all it's been through. Whatever gives it the best chance is what I'm gonna have to do. Thankfully both my roommates are plant nerds so they've actually got a couple species on hand that are non-toxic for chameleons! Very lucky there. I'll have to look out for a vine though cause I don't have one

Thankfully I've got some money I keep aside for random reptile bills. My snakes don't ever really use their emergency funds thankfully so I'll probably put it to this guy. But if I decide it's something I'm not qualified to help with I'll probably follow that advice. I don't want this little one to die after all it's been through. Whatever gives it the best chance is what I'm gonna have to do. Thankfully both my roommates are plant nerds so they've actually got a couple species on hand that are non-toxic for chameleons! Very lucky there. I'll have to look out for a vine though cause I don't have one
I'm sure you'll be well qualified! As long as you have the money and husbandry info, you'll be good! That's awesome that your roommates are plant nerds, and it definitely helps out! Pothos and philodendron are both cheap, easy, and fast-growing vines, too!

I'm sure you'll be well qualified! As long as you have the money and husbandry info, you'll be good! That's awesome that your roommates are plant nerds, and it definitely helps out! Pothos and philodendron are both cheap, easy, and fast-growing vines, too!
Oh my friend from school has a bunch of pothos! I'll probably ask her

Back
Top Bottom