giant madagascar chameleon

alz

does anyone have any information on the giant madagascar chameleon,
care sheet, and temp information,:confused:

Ask me anything you need to know about ousties. :D giant spiny chameleon desrcibes ousties and verricousus. Ask chameleonmaster about his verr.

giant spiny chameleon desrcibes ousties and verricousus.

Is this accurate? To my knowledge, verrucosus are aka giant spiny and warty chameleons. I've never heard this for ousties. I'm not saying that you're incorrect, I'm just saying that I haven't heard this.

wiki but still kinda reliable. The Oustalet's or Malagasy giant chameleon (Furcifer oustaleti) is a very large species of chameleon that is endemic to Madagascar, but also has been introduced near Nairobi in Kenya (though its current status there is unclear). It occurs in a wide range of habitats, even among degraded vegetation within villages, but is relatively rare in primary forest. With a maximum length of 68.5 cm (27 in), it is often considered the largest species of chameleon, though some suggest that claim goes to Calumma parsonii. The diet of this chameleon includes, but is not limited to, invertebrates such as large insects. Prey is acquired with a long, muscular tongue. the pic..:D

Attachments

• 200px-Furcifer_Oustaleti_Ambalavao_Madagascar.jpg
    200px-Furcifer_Oustaleti_Ambalavao_Madagascar.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 325
wiki but still kinda reliable. The Oustalet's or Malagasy giant chameleon (Furcifer oustaleti) is a very large species of chameleon that is endemic to Madagascar, but also has been introduced near Nairobi in Kenya (though its current status there is unclear). It occurs in a wide range of habitats, even among degraded vegetation within villages, but is relatively rare in primary forest. With a maximum length of 68.5 cm (27 in), it is often considered the largest species of chameleon, though some suggest that claim goes to Calumma parsonii. The diet of this chameleon includes, but is not limited to, invertebrates such as large insects. Prey is acquired with a long, muscular tongue. the pic..:D

There you go. It's written, therefore it must be true. :)

i think it called a Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus,but i cant find many pictures or information on this cham,check out my photo to see if you can clarify this i don't even know if its him or her,

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 453
i think it called a Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus,but i cant find many pictures or information on this cham,check out my photo to see if you can clarify this i don't even know if its him or her,

That looks like a male panther chameleon to me. Derfinitely not a verrucousus or a oustalets.

do you have any other photos?

That looks like a male panther chameleon to me. Derfinitely not a verrucousus or a oustalets.

you sure? doesnt quite look like a panther to me.

maybe this belongs in the "identification" section rather than general discussion. Alz if you agree, you can request a moderator move it

Last edited:
alz - Your chameleon is a female Oustalet's Chameleon (Furcifer oustaleti). The coloration, pattern, scalation on the temporal region, and dorsal crest are all indicative of this ID.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Hi, it appears you have a female oustaleti. Except for caging, care would be the same as a panther. Here is a few good links to get started. If you have any specific question please feel free to ask.

General info
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/
Good info for females.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/435-common-mistakes-made-females.html
Good care sheet
http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/panther-chameleon.aspx

Common name
"Giant madagascar chameleon" for Oustaleti
"Giant spiny chameleon" for Verrucousus.

Kinda depends on the panther and oustaleti. In general though, an adult female oustaleti is about the same size or just a little bigger then the typical male panther.

I'm almost positive thats an oustalets. ver's have bigger spikes. From the color i'd say female, because genrally females are really green. Here is a Male oustie and a female. First Rex then lilly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wKukMRyV7Jo

Attachments

• Photo1436.jpg
    Photo1436.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 970
Back
Top Bottom