Giant jellyfish sink 10-tonne Japanese fishing trawler

jojackson

GIANT jellyfish have sunk a 10-tonne trawler in Japan.
The Nomura's jellyfish can weigh up to 200kg each and have recently begun to swarm in the waters off the coast of China.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifesty...-fishing-trawler/story-e6frfhk6-1225793853680

849345-giant-jellyfish.jpg

:eek:

Bout damn time. The Japanese refuse to listen to any kind of limit on fishing any species. They do nothing but take and take and in the end, we will all pay the price.

Lol I agree Pure. Them and the Chinese can be vicious to the environment. North America gets a bad wrap, but man, when you look at what China and Japan does, makes us all look like nature-worshipping druids over here.

Go Jellyfish!

Go Jellyfish!

lol

You know, it's a real shame. I was watching this program about their over fishing practices. An ichthyologist was inspecting the blue fin tuna at the largest fish market in the world (in Japan) and could not find a tuna that was over 3-4 years old. She was remarking about how just 5 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for her to be able to find 400-500 pound tuna, IE older tuna. She also made the point that most of the tuna she found at this market weren't even old enough to reproduce yet. Enjoy your sushi everyone.... the way they are going, it won't be very long till it's all gone.

Yep Sushi is a MAJOR hit against sea life. Octopii only reproduce once, so the sushi market is really impacting them.

Your story of the tuna is like the swordfish, exact same; none being caught now are even of breeding age, but they are so overfished that there are virtually no adults left in the ocean.

It's amazing we still eat meat, considering all of the negative little details surrounding the consumption of any meat.

I think the future will hold insects as our main source of meat, we simply can't sustain our lifestyles eating so many individual animals EVERY day.

I think the future will hold insects as our main source of meat, we simply can't sustain our lifestyles eating so many individual animals EVERY day.

The whole problem of that is getting us 'mericans to do so.

I remember reading something about cows are more wasteful than insects via what they eat and what they produce.. I need to find that email.

edit: I can't find the email but here is something from online @ http://discovermagazine.com/2008/may/07-want-to-help-the-environment-eat-insects

“Americans have no idea how wasteful these large mammals are,” Gracer says. “If you want to feed a lot of people, insects are the best choice in terms of getting the biggest bang for your buck.” Insects, he claims, are nutritious. Although they typically contain less protein by weight than beef or chicken—100 grams of giant water bugs or small grasshoppers, for example, have about 20 grams of protein, compared with 27 grams in the same amount of lean ground beef—they do have other benefits. For instance, grasshoppers contain just one-third of the fat found in beef, and water bugs offer almost four times as much iron. A 100-gram portion of the cooked caterpillar Usata terpsichore has about 28 grams of protein. In their dried form, as they are commonly sold in Africa, insects such as grasshoppers may contain up to 60 percent protein.
Raising insects has a low impact on the environment. They require little water, perhaps because they obtain much of their moisture from their food. It takes 869 gallons of water to produce a third of a pound of beef, about enough for a large hamburger. By contrast, to supply water to a quarter pound of crickets, Gracer simply places* a moist paper towel at the bottom of their tank and refreshes it weekly. Insects, he says, also need less food and space than vertebrate sources of protein and therefore could replace or supplement food resources that may become scarce in the future, such as fish stocks, which a recent study indicates may collapse by 2048.

Back
Top Bottom