Giant custom enclosure

aramis32

Hello,

I am building a 2.4m tall, 0.6m deep and 1.4m wide enclosure to house Matilda (Vieled cham).

Any ideas on materials for the background i could use?
5E94B633-A160-4824-ADCF-B6CFC477614D.jpeg

Are you building it from wood or aluminum? I’ve founded coated aluminum screen holds up pretty good. If you go with wood I’ve used a all natural butcher block sealer before to seal the wood from taking in the moisture, that work pretty well! Stainless screws so no rust same with the hinges and locking mechanism.

Thanks!

I am building the frame out of steel. The doors will carry 15kg each as the 6mm toughned glass is heavy.

Did you build one out of aluminium? What size?

What about the background? What did you make it of?

Thanks

I’ve only built from wood never aluminum. That was before I had to give everything up. I haven’t done anything like that in a few years I don’t have any pictures of them tho it wasn’t anything crazy. I’ve turned a china cabinet into a decent double enclosure. Definitely saves time to start with something already built just have to seal everything from moisture.

Keep in mind... glass is far more reflective. Might have an issue with your veiled seeing its reflection. With the lights we use it does reflect their image back to them on the inside. Can cause a lot of stress.
So you think acrylic is better?

I would do all pcv or aluminum and pvc. All pvc not hard just need router and skill saw. They you can make the same cages as Dale. I have everything cut and I routered pvc edges so it has quarter inch lip. Now just have to decide if I want to screw and calk or just glue like pvc. One way can take apart other can't.

I would do all pcv or aluminum and pvc. All pvc not hard just need router and skill saw. They you can make the same cages as Dale. I have everything cut and I routered pvc edges so it has quarter inch lip. Now just have to decide if I want to screw and calk or just glue like pvc. One way can take apart other can't.
Thanks i already started with steel frames. Given the size, a door will weight more than 20kg, so needs to be strong. A 2mx0.7m door needs to have tempered glass - which is heavy!

Do you knw the year around environment the room it going in so you knw what type of cage you need. Makes it easier for final setup

Here pics of my first cham cages I built. No leaks can take a 2 hour misting no problem. These cages took about 3 4 each to make first time. Now can make in 2

Attachments

• 20220308_111508.jpg
    20220308_111508.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210921_233156.jpg
    20210921_233156.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
So you think acrylic is better?
Yes the acrylic will not reflect as well as glass. This is typically what is used now with hybrid cham enclosures. Either clear acrylic panels for the front or marine grade clear vinyl. You can reduce weight even more by using PVC sheets for your sides and back walls.

I've built in numerous different materials. Wood attracts spiders FYI. I'm a girl a vuzz at that, so I freak out when I see one. But you can really let your imagination run wild w sone cans of expanding foam.

Attachments

• image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 70
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 72
I've built in numerous different materials. Wood attracts spiders FYI. I'm a girl a vuzz at that, so I freak out when I see one. But you can really let your imagination run wild w sone cans of expanding foam.
Is that free range room on a first floor and is there a second floor or full attic above that room?

All I can say is wow. My wife would probably kill me if I took her shoe room to do that

Back
Top Bottom