Getting worried.

Vnessinessa

I believe my panther chameleon is about 6 and a half months. He had an eye infection in which I have antibiotics for. His eye still is not perfect, but is in the works. While I was in hospital, my husband had the basking light too close and he has a burnt spike or two. I don't think he needs to go to the vets, but he seems to be a little lethargic? But when he is active, he is very active. Sometimes when he seems lethargic, the infection eye, is closed. Also, his lights go out at 8 PM, and he seems like he is getting ready for bed/eyes closing around 7:15. Is this normal? When I hold him, even when he is "busy" he still seems to hang out rather than climbing all over me. Is this because there is something wrong, or just becoming tame? I will take him to the vets, but I don't think they would see anything wrong. When he went to the vets a month ago, she said he was perfectly healthy aside from the eye infection. He is eating/drinking perfectly fine. Thanks for your time!

It's normal for them to turn in for the night a while before lights out...
A burn is very regretful but just sometimes happens and if its not to bad it should look better after a few times shedding. Obviously this is no excuse for it to happen but still shit just simply happens sometimes, make sure it cant happen again there's ointment you can apply to the burn, mostly pain relief, but I forgot the name.

Eyes closed during day can mean a couple of things:
1. He's stressed and shutting down, other than giving his meds leave him be. Applying medication is stressful, don't add to that by handling unnecessarly.

2. Eyes are still not ok, just make sure you complete the antibiotics and see if he got better.

3. Exhaustion, will often happen when people keep on a nightlight which keeps them from resting properly. Lights at night in any color are a big NO

4. Something else going on, an illness, infection, parasite that makes him feel bad... Since you mention he's also still active I'd not think so but if you're going to the vet anyways bring a stool sample (his, not your own).

Hey there, my cham will go down to his sleeping spot up to a few hours before his lights go out. While hes down there he doesnt sleep and will drink when the mister comes on. He usually goes down there after he basks for a while. I think its a way of regulating their temp and getting ready to settle down. My guy does the exact same things and hasmt had the problems that you have unfortunately had. So im sure he is ok in that aspect. I hope he gets better soon :)

It's normal for them to turn in for the night a while before lights out...
A burn is very regretful but just sometimes happens and if its not to bad it should look better after a few times shedding. Obviously this is no excuse for it to happen but still shit just simply happens sometimes, make sure it cant happen again there's ointment you can apply to the burn, mostly pain relief, but I forgot the name.

Eyes closed during day can mean a couple of things:
1. He's stressed and shutting down, other than giving his meds leave him be. Applying medication is stressful, don't add to that by handling unnecessarly.

2. Eyes are still not ok, just make sure you complete the antibiotics and see if he got better.

3. Exhaustion, will often happen when people keep on a nightlight which keeps them from resting properly. Lights at night in any color are a big NO

4. Something else going on, an illness, infection, parasite that makes him feel bad... Since you mention he's also still active I'd not think so but if you're going to the vet anyways bring a stool sample (his, not your own).
Wow, I appreciate this information so much. I am SO devastated about the burns even though they are only on two spikes. It should not be an excuse, but I went into hospital for 2 months, and my husband had never even learnt how to look after him, and moved a branch like 5 inches away from the baking light. Still not an excuse though.

I feel like maybe he is overly fine then, and just heading to his spot early, and his eye just isn't fully healed yet. So I will keep on giving him the antibiotics. And leave him alone aside from that incase he is stressed out.

Hey there, my cham will go down to his sleeping spot up to a few hours before his lights go out. While hes down there he doesnt sleep and will drink when the mister comes on. He usually goes down there after he basks for a while. I think its a way of regulating their temp and getting ready to settle down. My guy does the exact same things and hasmt had the problems that you have unfortunately had. So im sure he is ok in that aspect. I hope he gets better soon :)
Thank you! I really think this is what he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom