Getting weight on a chameleon

zmoore91

so if anyone has been following my threads I have recently acquired a pair of panthers that weren’t in the BEST shape. Pretty basic care was given. A diet consisting of crickets, no gutloading, and I’m guessing minimal calcium. I have switched up a lot in a short time. My lighting, set ups, and such are fine. I’m concerned with getting some actual weight on these two. The female is very skinny and the male should be bigger as well. I bought horn worms, roaches, super worms, etc. but they really only show interest in the crickets. Anyone have ideas?

Waxworms are great for fattening up a cham (don’t make them a staple, though). If they don’t eat, starve them for a couple of days and offer them the healthiest options first (BSFL and BSF, roaches, silkworms). If you don’t mind, could you fill out the ask for help form and post it here, please? Along with posting pics of your chams and their enclosures, as well?

All worms put weight on chameleons. I recommend Superworms, silkworms and hornworms. lindasgonebuggie.com is a good place to buy a value pack with a variety of feeders that’s just enough for one or two chameleons. If you email Linda she will mix and match and substitute for you too.

Also, I highly recommend a fecals on your chameleons. Chameleons often get parasites due to the feeders that they eat. Parasites will keep them from gaining weight, especially coccidia. If parasites go untreated they will eventually kill your chameleon.

I have only had them for a week, I don’t think it’s any parasites or anything. Just simply poor care from the previous owner.

That might have led to parasites. Get a fecal done for all of them
True, I didn’t think of it like that. I’m going to set something up. BUT I have GREAT news. I made some feeders with mesh for bugs to climb on...I put some roaches and supers in each one...the chameleons are both DEMOLISHING BUGS! I’m so stoked.

Back
Top Bottom