Getting some Pygs - Questions

Lingling

I got a brand new 18x18x18 exo terra tank for $60 at work today. I'm pretty excited to set up a viv and get some pygmies in there. I've never kept pygs before, and I'm doing a lot of reading on them, but I was wondering what species (besides brevs) are most common. I probably will end up doing brevs, but I'd like to know what possibilities there may be. Also, if anyone has any pygmies available in the Chicago area, or could direct me to a good supplier, that would be awesome. I'm setting up the viv over spring break - I need to get my midterms out of the way, so that gives me a couple weeks to think about what I might put in there.

Also, I've seen a lot of conflicting information when it comes to what temperature these guys do best at. I know it may vary between species, but in general, what temperature range is best?

Has anyone ever kept orchids in viv with pygmies before? They were listed as cham safe by several sources. I know they don't like water directly on the flower, so I would have to avoid that while misting. Are there any reasons I should keep them with pygs?

If you go to the FL Chams website you can see the different types of pygs that are available out there. You could probably go 1.3 in that size Exo. Temps should be in the low to no higher than mid-70's at the highest. Pygs start dropping off when it gets much over 80. I have never used orchids but I am sure it could be done.

As I was reading your post, I was going to say the same thing as Juli. FL Chams has a fantastic care sheet and loads of information on pygs. I have kept a few different species of pygs and have followed that information to a T and they have done great.

As I was reading your post, I was going to say the same thing as Juli. FL Chams has a fantastic care sheet and loads of information on pygs. I have kept a few different species of pygs and have followed that information to a T and they have done great.

Great Juli(e)'s think alike! :D

Here is the care sheet for pygs that's also on the FL Chams website - it's excellent! As Juli said, they need temps in the low-mid 70s that don't ever go over 80. In the winter my tank stays at 70 or high 60s and they are as active as ever. In the summer when it gets up to around 78 sometimes (unfavorable but it happens) I put a few ice cubes on the bottom and they tend to hover around those areas. Over 80 spells disaster. They like high humidity, and unlike the bigger species can be kept together in a cage with lots of substrate.

Brevs (R. brevicaudatus) are the most common but occasionally you'll see spectrals (Rhampholeon spectrum) or temporals (Rhampholeon temporalis) too. Their care is very similar to brevs.

Pygmys are one of my favorites! They are incredibly cute and so much fun to watch. I got that same tank really cheap too and thought about starting a new pyg tank, but ended up putting a little carpet in it instead. That size tank will hold a nice little colony. You'll have to post pics when you get it all set up! :)

i use orchids in one of my pys setups and as long as you dont soak the plant itself they do great even had one rebloom this year!!

Back
Top Bottom