Getting other opinions on gender

schmittou329

I recently adopted this young veiled chameleon. I’m thinking it is a boy due to the spurs on the back feet, and other features, but just want to make sure! Here are some photos. I know it’s hard to see but I did my best to highlight the spurs (or what look to be.)
720203D1-068D-4D71-854E-DC82C5EE8DFD.jpeg
F3E496F9-FB7D-47A6-B5B8-44ABB1646E7E.jpeg
9C2E1CC7-CB56-4DB3-B9A4-C7E9B43A974D.jpeg

Male... Can you post more pics? Specifically so I can see the area between his front legs. You will want to remove all the moss vines and cover the soil with 1 inch or larger stones to keep him from eating it.
I will do that for sure! Thank you. I tried to get some photos, but he’s a little shy still. Let me know if you need to see more.
861D74FD-B8B0-49B5-B44F-806D62C294EA.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E0D91EE-07E0-406E-A0D3-9233E50CA871.jpeg
    1E0D91EE-07E0-406E-A0D3-9233E50CA871.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 54337BBD-5B75-41E7-AE12-E0BA8F464FDA.jpeg
    54337BBD-5B75-41E7-AE12-E0BA8F464FDA.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 88
I will do that for sure! Thank you. I tried to get some photos, but he’s a little shy still. Let me know if you need to see more. View attachment 309871
No, you have a male... I did not want more pics to confirm that. I was looking at his gulular area trying to see if it was normal. It looked off in one of the other pictures.

Have you done a husbandry review yet? Little man can get way too close to that heat bulb increase in thermal burns.

No, you have a male... I did not want more pics to confirm that. I was looking at his gulular area trying to see if it was normal. It looked off in one of the other pictures.

Have you done a husbandry review yet? Little man can get way too close to that heat bulb increase in thermal burns.
I have! I’m planning on fixing up his enlcouser today after learning more from joining this page. I made the mistake of listening to some of the social media groups when I first got him. Figure this page is way more knowledgeable. Thanks for looking out for him, and assisting me!

I have! I’m planning on fixing up his enlcouser today after learning more from joining this page. I made the mistake of listening to some of the social media groups when I first got him. Figure this page is way more knowledgeable. Thanks for looking out for him, and assisting me!
Did you fill this out?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Did you fill this out?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, young Veiled Chameleon, I’ve had him for just under 2 weeks now.
Handling - haven’t handled him yet, still getting used to hands and people.
Feeding - Crickets, wax worms (once in a while) black soldier flys, small horn worms. Crickets and flies everyday with calcium. Usually once in morning and once in afternoon. I gut load with sweet potato, apple, and greens. About 7-10 bugs total each day.
Supplements - calcium without D3 everyday, calcium with D3 twice a month. Multi vitamin twice a month.
Watering - mist by hand once before lights and once after they’re off. Both for 1-2 minutes. Use the little dripper throughout the day. (He also has a shower curtain wrapped around sides to trap humidity)
Fecal Description - Urates are a healthy white with a small amount of orange sometimes. The fecal matter is typical brown. He goes everyday as of right now. Hasn’t been parasite tested before.
History - he was kept at a local pet store (not a chain pet store), enclosure was a little small, and didn’t seem to have proper lighting or foliage coverage, but he is still young so it hasn’t seemed to harm him. They didn’t tell us his age, or many details. He was also alone in his enclosure.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - the bigger reptibreeze with the screening. No glass. (for now, working on a bigger one at the moment.)
Lighting - T5 linear for UVB, and 75W daylight white for basking/heat. lights off at 10:40pm lights on at 8:30/9am.
Temperature - basking is 80-85, lower areas are 65-75 depending on spot.
Humidity - I use a digital hydrometer as well as thermometer. Day levels for humidity are 50-60%, night is usually 70-80%
Plants - one fake plant that I’m replacing with a real ASAP. He also has 5 real plants and lots of sticks.
Location - United States- Michigan
*If there’s any other MI chameleon owners let me know what vet you use. I’m looking for one in case I ever need to take him in.

I also want to add- he’s really settled in this week and has been way brighter throughout the days, but is still dark more than I’d like. Is this concerning or is it normal? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

I’m 100% open to changing things if needed. Want to make sure I give him what he needs. Thanks!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, young Veiled Chameleon, I’ve had him for just under 2 weeks now.
Handling - haven’t handled him yet, still getting used to hands and people.
Feeding - Crickets, wax worms (once in a while) black soldier flys, small horn worms. Crickets and flies everyday with calcium. Usually once in morning and once in afternoon. I gut load with sweet potato, apple, and greens. About 7-10 bugs total each day.
Supplements - calcium without D3 everyday, calcium with D3 twice a month. Multi vitamin twice a month.
Watering - mist by hand once before lights and once after they’re off. Both for 1-2 minutes. Use the little dripper throughout the day. (He also has a shower curtain wrapped around sides to trap humidity)
Fecal Description - Urates are a healthy white with a small amount of orange sometimes. The fecal matter is typical brown. He goes everyday as of right now. Hasn’t been parasite tested before.
History - he was kept at a local pet store (not a chain pet store), enclosure was a little small, and didn’t seem to have proper lighting or foliage coverage, but he is still young so it hasn’t seemed to harm him. They didn’t tell us his age, or many details. He was also alone in his enclosure.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - the bigger reptibreeze with the screening. No glass. (for now, working on a bigger one at the moment.)
Lighting - T5 linear for UVB, and 75W daylight white for basking/heat. lights off at 10:40pm lights on at 8:30/9am.
Temperature - basking is 80-85, lower areas are 65-75 depending on spot.
Humidity - I use a digital hydrometer as well as thermometer. Day levels for humidity are 50-60%, night is usually 70-80%
Plants - one fake plant that I’m replacing with a real ASAP. He also has 5 real plants and lots of sticks.
*If there’s any other MI chameleon owners let me know what vet you use. I’m looking for one in case I ever need to take him in.

I also want to add- he’s really settled in this week and has been way brighter throughout the days, but is still dark more than I’d like. Is this concerning or is it normal? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

I’m 100% open to changing things if needed. Want to make sure I give him what he needs. Thanks!
Can you post pics of the entire cage please and I will go through your form. Also pics of your supplements would be most helpful.

@schmittou329 see my feedback in bold.

Chameleon Info
:
Your Chameleon - Male, young Veiled Chameleon, I’ve had him for just under 2 weeks now. If you post more pics of him so I can see all of him sitting in the cage I can give you a better idea on age.
Handling
- haven’t handled him yet, still getting used to hands and people.
Feeding - Crickets, wax worms (once in a while) black soldier flys, small horn worms. Crickets and flies everyday with calcium. Usually once in morning and once in afternoon. I gut load with sweet potato, apple, and greens. About 7-10 bugs total each day. This is good for his approx. age. Just expand your gutload. Use the items from the gutload list below.
Supplements
- calcium without D3 everyday, calcium with D3 twice a month. Multi vitamin twice a month. I would like to double check what you are using. The schedule is fine as long as they are the correct supplements.
Watering
- mist by hand once before lights and once after they’re off. Both for 1-2 minutes. Use the little dripper throughout the day. (He also has a shower curtain wrapped around sides to trap humidity) Good.
Fecal Description
- Urates are a healthy white with a small amount of orange sometimes. The fecal matter is typical brown. He goes everyday as of right now. Hasn’t been parasite tested before. Fecal test is always a good idea with any new reptile.
History
- he was kept at a local pet store (not a chain pet store), enclosure was a little small, and didn’t seem to have proper lighting or foliage coverage, but he is still young so it hasn’t seemed to harm him. They didn’t tell us his age, or many details. He was also alone in his enclosure.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - the bigger reptibreeze with the screening. No glass. (for now, working on a bigger one at the moment.) Looks like a smaller cage from what I can see. Your going to want to get him into a 2x2x4 quickly. I really like this build study https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
Lighting - T5 linear for UVB, and 75W daylight white for basking/heat. lights off at 10:40pm lights on at 8:30/9am. Which bulb strength did you get for the T5? If it is a 5.0 you want the closest place he can get to it 8-9 inches below the fixture. If it is a 10.0 this needs a full 11-12 inches to the branch below it. You need to regulate your lighting schedule. 10:40 is really late at night. You want a consistent schedule every day. 12 hours on 12 hours all off.
Temperature - basking is 80-85, lower areas are 65-75 depending on spot. Make sure basking is not hotter than 85.
Humidity - I use a digital hydrometer as well as thermometer. Day levels for humidity are 50-60%, night is usually 70-80% Night is fine as long as your getting temp drops down below 67. Really should run 60-65 at night.
Plants - one fake plant that I’m replacing with a real ASAP. He also has 5 real plants and lots of sticks. What types of plants did you get?
*If there’s any other MI chameleon owners let me know what vet you use. I’m looking for one in case I ever need to take him in. You can check this link and see if anyone is accredited near you. https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

I also want to add- he’s really settled in this week and has been way brighter throughout the days, but is still dark more than I’d like. Is this concerning or is it normal? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Dark does not mean bad. Bright is actually stress in Veileds. So they fire up bright colors. Normally they are duller in colors and this is their resting color pattern.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

MI vets with chameleon knowledge

Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic (Williamston, MI) - 20 minute drive from East Lansing, 30 from Lansing, ~ 40-45 from Ann Arbor, ~ 1:20 from Grand Rapids

Accredited reptile vets Drs R Beasley and Nolan; Dr. C Beasley is a bird vet (small animal practice as well)

Chameleon experience; they do all the veterinary work for Preuss Pets, a good local petstore with a large reptile selection.

Back
Top Bottom