Getting my first veiled Cham today!

Yes it does sound like early MBD. Using the liquid calcium will help but you may want to go to the vet for a calcium shot to stop the progression faster.
Hes lucky to have you now!

If you got him from that store, chances are the gentlemen who you got the chameleon from may not know the proper care for them if he's got MBD. I would listen to the members on this forum. Many of which have kept chams for 20+ years. May I suggest large crickets instead of superworms? They're easier for him to digest and have more nurtitional value. For the calcium inject 2 small drops into a single feeder once a day along with lightly dusted calcium feeders as well. And then carry on giving him D3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month. Again if he doesn't show any signs of getting better a vet trip is recommended. IMO you should bring him to the vet, they can tell you more of what's going on with him.
The guy who owns the store took him in from another guy who didn't want him. If the original owner didn't want him, then chances are he was probably lacking in proper care for Gus. Definitely not the store owners fault, he gave me free calcium today to help out. He also said that while Gus was in the store he noticed that he had some missing nails. Upon further inspection, he's definitely missing a few(doesn't help the situation!) I bought some wooden ladders to help Gus move around easier. He ate some crickets and a calcium injected/dusted hornworm. Crickets are his staple, but I like to switch things up often as suggested. I think I'll hold off on the vet visit for now, it's likely that they will run some tests and give me liquid calcium which I already have. If it gets worse I will definitely look into a vet visit though, I have a reptile vet whom I trust and have gone to before. Thanks for all the help everyone.

He looks like he has a onset of MBD to me, but it don't look too bad that's why it is important to take him to a reptile vet to stop the progression of it. I know you said that you have liquid calcium, but the calcium shot the vet will give him is far superior to any calcium you can get at a pet store.

Feeling a little sad for this guy right now:( he fell onto the ground again and is now trying to climb back up the screen, but he can't do it. I've put some towels on his floor. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to set up his cage in a way that fits his needs. I'm thinking of basically putting a stick or vine everywhere so that when he loses his grip, he has something else to grab onto. Also, because of his love for climbing the screen(at least trying to) I was going to do a lattice type design with willow branches and put it against the screen, similar to what someone else did on the forums.

i was originally going to hold off and get a panther, but I met this guy and I couldn't resist. He's 3 years old and quite decent for handling. I have prior reptile experience: 1 ball python, 1 diamond python, 7 whites tree frogs, 2 African dwarf frogs and 1 Nigerian uromastyx. I figured I'm a pretty good candidate for chameleon ownership. I've got the 36x18x36 screen Exoterra for him. I've installed a mist king system and I put I good sized croton plant in the enclosure. I have a thin layer of coco fiber on the bottom tray along with some vines and wood. I'm using a 75 watt bulb for his basking spot, and I just have to pick up a UVB bulb today. I'd like to add more greenery, any suggestions for a vine type of plant? I'll likely be putting some pothos and broms in there by I really like the look of ivy. There is so many different kinds and I know not all are safe, so if anyone has insight on that please let me know. Does this sound like a good setup, am I missing anything? I'm picking him up later tonight, can't wait!

Croton is on the poisonous list

i was originally going to hold off and get a panther, but I met this guy and I couldn't resist. He's 3 years old and quite decent for handling. I have prior reptile experience: 1 ball python, 1 diamond python, 7 whites tree frogs, 2 African dwarf frogs and 1 Nigerian uromastyx. I figured I'm a pretty good candidate for chameleon ownership. I've got the 36x18x36 screen Exoterra for him. I've installed a mist king system and I put I good sized croton plant in the enclosure. I have a thin layer of coco fiber on the bottom tray along with some vines and wood. I'm using a 75 watt bulb for his basking spot, and I just have to pick up a UVB bulb today. I'd like to add more greenery, any suggestions for a vine type of plant? I'll likely be putting some pothos and broms in there by I really like the look of ivy. There is so many different kinds and I know not all are safe, so if anyone has insight on that please let me know. Does this sound like a good setup, am I missing anything? I'm picking him up later tonight, can't wait!

The Croton plant is on the poisonous list, get it the hell out of there!
http://www.chameleonsonline.com/toxic-plants.php

Feeling a little sad for this guy right now:( he fell onto the ground again and is now trying to climb back up the screen, but he can't do it. I've put some towels on his floor. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to set up his cage in a way that fits his needs. I'm thinking of basically putting a stick or vine everywhere so that when he loses his grip, he has something else to grab onto. Also, because of his love for climbing the screen(at least trying to) I was going to do a lattice type design with willow branches and put it against the screen, similar to what someone else did on the forums.
This is why we are suggesting you take him to a vet. If he's this weak and is falling this often he needs to be treated. As @brownie64 said a vet will inject with a shot of calcium far better than your liquid calcium will provide and betters the chances of stopping the progression of his MBD. He could even have a imbalance of vitamins, which are crucial to his muscle and bodily functions as well. Eventually he could fall and break bones.

The Croton plant is on the poisonous list, get it the hell out of there!
http://www.chameleonsonline.com/toxic-plants.php
On every other reptile plant list, croton is listed as safe. I've seen crotons in other chameleon cages as well. I noticed that jasmine was also on this list, and I know from personal experience that this is a very safe plant for reptiles.

I'm honestly thinking about returning him to the store. I can't stand to see an animal suffer like this. Mbd is not curable, which means that although he may improve, he will still struggle all through his life. The thought of having to see him like that is a little scary to me. I hate not being able to provide a healthy and happy life for my pets, but I also feel so bad just giving up on him. What do you guys think I should do? The more I watch him, the more I am noticing that his condition is worse than I initially thought. He can't climb, but he wants to so desperately.

On every other reptile plant list, croton is listed as safe. I've seen crotons in other chameleon cages as well. I noticed that jasmine was also on this list, and I know from personal experience that this is a very safe plant for reptiles.

I'm honestly thinking about returning him to the store. I can't stand to see an animal suffer like this. Mbd is not curable, which means that although he may improve, he will still struggle all through his life. The thought of having to see him like that is a little scary to me. I hate not being able to provide a healthy and happy life for my pets, but I also feel so bad just giving up on him. What do you guys think I should do? The more I watch him, the more I am noticing that his condition is worse than I initially thought. He can't climb, but he wants to so desperately.
Vet trip. He won't be like "that" all his life. He could improve greatly if he was treated accordingly. Why do you insist on not taking him? He needs it.

Back
Top Bottom