Getting back into the cham world

Rweems

Hi everyone! So I owned a veiled chameleon and I had him for 6 months. His humidity was always at correct levels, I had linear uvb, love plants, plenty of space for him etc.... suddenly he just stopped cleaning his eyes during mistings ( I had an automatic system that stayed for 1 minute in the morning, 3 minutes at noon, and again right before his lights shut off). He also stopped eating even when I offered hornworms which usually got a very quick response from him. I tried a variety of feeders and he just wasn’t interest. I thought maybe it was because I was tong feeding, so I started leaving some in a cup, but every morning when I would go to clean and refill it, I would notice he hasn’t eaten any. I did not handle him unless I was cleaning his cage (I spot cleaned 2 times a week without removing him, and every 2weeks would do a deep cleanse and would put him on his plant outside the cage). I live in Alabama, so humidity is never a problem. He was in a mesh cage and was up high in a dresser. I’ve tried my best to research to try to figure out what I did wrong because if and when I do get my next one, I don’t want to make the same mistake, but I don’t know where my mistake was. I have a whites tree frog, a crested gecko, and a leo and they are all very health, and have had them for 3+ years, so I am confident in myself as a reptile keeper, however, I know chams are a very advanced reptile. Are there any illnesses that can make them behave abnormally but happen quickly with little external signs? Sorry this post was so long, I just would love to know if anyone else has been in the same boat before. One day I would love another, but not before I know I’m ready and capable (which I had thought I was)

Hi everyone! So I owned a veiled chameleon and I had him for 6 months. His humidity was always at correct levels, I had linear uvb, love plants, plenty of space for him etc.... suddenly he just stopped cleaning his eyes during mistings ( I had an automatic system that stayed for 1 minute in the morning, 3 minutes at noon, and again right before his lights shut off). He also stopped eating even when I offered hornworms which usually got a very quick response from him. I tried a variety of feeders and he just wasn’t interest. I thought maybe it was because I was tong feeding, so I started leaving some in a cup, but every morning when I would go to clean and refill it, I would notice he hasn’t eaten any. I did not handle him unless I was cleaning his cage (I spot cleaned 2 times a week without removing him, and every 2weeks would do a deep cleanse and would put him on his plant outside the cage). I live in Alabama, so humidity is never a problem. He was in a mesh cage and was up high in a dresser. I’ve tried my best to research to try to figure out what I did wrong because if and when I do get my next one, I don’t want to make the same mistake, but I don’t know where my mistake was. I have a whites tree frog, a crested gecko, and a leo and they are all very health, and have had them for 3+ years, so I am confident in myself as a reptile keeper, however, I know chams are a very advanced reptile. Are there any illnesses that can make them behave abnormally but happen quickly with little external signs? Sorry this post was so long, I just would love to know if anyone else has been in the same boat before. One day I would love another, but not before I know I’m ready and capable (which I had thought I was)
Hi there and welcome to the forum. So Chameleons can get parasites. They can cause them to start declining. I am sorry for your loss. It could have been a number of things. Chams are harder because the external signs are the last ones we see because they hide their illness. So I can't specifically tell you why he passed and neither will anyone else. But I can give you the tools to learn.

Great podcast https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
Amazing website with tons of info done by Bill Strand https://chameleonacademy.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Back
Top Bottom