Getting anxious

Navymancdf

So finally talked the misses into letting me get a chameleon only took three years of casualing bring it up. But have to buy little by little so I don't take a big chunk of money out at once. Looking at these threads make the time go buy even more slowly. I think I need about three more paychecks I will be have everything and be able to get my first chameleon. So my question is I was thinking of starting with a baby but did not know if since this is my first should I start with a adult? Ohh I will be getting a veiled too

Babies, while adorable, are VEEY hard to keep alive, unless you are experienced. Unfortunately, I learned that the hard (and expensive) way. I am by noeans an expert of ANY kind, but one thing I have learned from hanging around the forums here, is that many pet stores get sell babies that are FAR too young and fragile. So for your first experience, I would recommend getting an adolescent/young adult. They seem to ne a little bit more tolerant of our "learning curves" as we humans tend to have. Good luck, and please don't rush into getting your cham. They are too precious to loose!

I think if you buy a young veiled from someone here on the forums instead of buying from a local pet store, you should be fine. If given a loving start, a young veiled (say 3 months old) should be hardy enough to do well under the care of someone (like you) who has educated himself about the care of veiled chameleons. If you want to start with a baby, definitely go veiled and read up on the forums. The care sheet here has great info about caring for a baby veiled. Check it out and good luck! https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I definitely recommend getting a veiled from a reputable breeder on the forums no matter the age. Store veiled are far over bred, and very poorly bred. They come from horrible suppliers and most of the female breeders are wrought with mbd and when the female laying has a calcium deficiency their babies are born with it and have a greater possibility of losing bone density severely even if you are supplementing correctly.

Hi there, Advanced congrats for your new chameleon, i personally got my first male panther from Gumtree- or a similar private online ads for pets for sale. I chose carefully and judged -as much as i could- his health and how he had been cared for from the description (which can told me a lot of what knowledge the previous owners had) and photos of what they had given him-correct lighting etc- He was 1 year old , came from a busy household full of children and so had been very well handled- so I got a healthy cham that is so chilled out and relaxed and handleable I couldnt of wished for more. A good breeder in your area is a possibility too, maybe someone will recommend here?
Babies are indeed adorable and my Jacksons I had from 1 month old and have had the privilege to watch him grow but it can be risky keeping a young animal for the first time.
I'm glad I got an adult as my first one- the stress of having a young baby- if you see what i mean-was high!
Best of luck.(y)

Thanks you for all the advice. I'm in no rush to get one yet because I want to make sure I have everything ready so that when I do get him I will be as ready as I can. I rushed once trying to do an aquarium it was the biggest cluster and ended up costing me way to much money lol

Fish tanks are rough, if you try to rush them. I even knew that when I got my 90gal saltwater tank, I tried to rush it, and ended up putting thousands of dollars into it and it was all for not. The fish died, and some of them were quite expensive! Not to mention the cost of all of the water changes and treatments. Lesson learned - don't rush.

So finally talked the misses into letting me get a chameleon only took three years of casualing bring it up. But have to buy little by little so I don't take a big chunk of money out at once. Looking at these threads make the time go buy even more slowly. I think I need about three more paychecks I will be have everything and be able to get my first chameleon. So my question is I was thinking of starting with a baby but did not know if since this is my first should I start with a adult? Ohh I will be getting a veiled too

An older juvenile (3-4 months) would be a good starter. They are past the baby-fruit fly-pinhead cricket-fragile phase and starting to show their personality. One thing you should look into before you set your plans is a competent herp vet practice...so you know how far you'll need to go and what their services might cost! Don't assume a "normal" domestic pet practice will be able to treat a cham. Most are clueless. Also, check out where you can buy or order live feeders.

I don't know where you live, but our 2 females haves laid over 100 eggs this year & they all hatched. We lost 7 babies, the rest are close to 3 inches.
If you are anywhere near Colorado Springs I will sell these little guys for $15. But I really am trying to avoid shipping. Won't cost a paycheck.

I don't know where you live, but our 2 females haves laid over 100 eggs this year & they all hatched. We lost 7 babies, the rest are close to 3 inches.
If you are anywhere near Colorado Springs I will sell these little guys for $15. But I really am trying to avoid shipping. Won't cost a paycheck.
Thank you I'm in Ny and already talking with another breeder.

Back
Top Bottom