Getting a new thermometer

So my reptibreeze thermometer (the classic cheap probe one) I think has broken (it’s showing the temp as too high for some reason, like apparently the temperature in my house is 81 degrees according to it ?). I’m thinking about getting one of those Infared ones, do they work as well? Is there a downside to them? Thanks!

So my reptibreeze thermometer (the classic cheap probe one) I think has broken (it’s showing the temp as too high for some reason, like apparently the temperature in my house is 81 degrees according to it ?). I’m thinking about getting one of those Infared ones, do they work as well? Is there a downside to them? Thanks!
If you're talking about a temperature gun (like this), they work great, but...
They don't take emissivity into account (but that may not be as big an issue with chams & branches & vines—IDK), so may not be as accurate on all surfaces as a digital thermometer with probe.

I use both; I use the gun to spot check, and then use a digital probe to monitor.

If you're talking about a temperature gun (like this), they work great, but...
They don't take emissivity into account (but that may not be as big an issue with chams & branches & vines—IDK), so may not be as accurate on all surfaces as a digital thermometer with probe.

I use both; I use the gun to spot check, and then use a digital probe to monitor.
Ok thanks! I think I’ll stick with a digital probe one then.... I’ll go for a better one than the zoomed one though.

Ok thanks! I think I’ll stick with a digital probe one then.... I’ll go for a better one than the zoomed one though.
Sometimes better can cost less. I'm not currently up on the best value ATM, but IME it's worth shopping around. Also, you can get combination hygrometers/thermometers for pretty close to the same price as just the thermometer. Next time I find a good deal, I'll probably pickup a half dozen or so of those, and use as & where needed.

Double check the scales though (F vs. C); I've sometimes seen the picture of the F unit, and the fine print says it the C unit (and switchable units—of course—are usually more $. ;)

Sometimes better can cost less. I'm not currently up on the best value ATM, but IME it's worth shopping around. Also, you can get combination hygrometers/thermometers for pretty close to the same price as just the thermometer. Next time I find a good deal, I'll probably pickup a half dozen or so of those, and use as & where needed.

Double check the scales though (F vs. C); I've sometimes seen the picture of the F unit, and the fine print says it the C unit (and switchable units—of course—are usually more $. ;)
Yeah I saw a hydrometer and thermometer combined one. Is there one that you use/would recommend? Thanks.

Yeah I saw a hydrometer and thermometer combined one. Is there one that you use/would recommend? Thanks.
I'm not currently up on the best value ATM, but IME it's worth shopping around.
Mine looks like this one.

1592988458734.png

But the price was more like this one.

https://www.diymore.cc/products/diy...e-incubator-aquarium-poultry-black-with-cable

I think pretty much all of them are made in China; just beware of this kind of pricing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pawliss-...e-Thermometer-Hygrometer-With-Probe/403743340

I use these and have them throughout the enclosure,
I've never used that type (internal... they're calling it a "probe"; IDK—is it? Or is it a sensor?)
How are they for accuracy?

Not criticizing; I'm asking since I don't have experience with this type.

I like the type with a probe on a wire because I can put or tape the probe to the basking spot, etc.—even if it's hidden or obscured—and have the readout where it's convenient & easy to see.

Just poking around for price, I found these for around a buck apiece, but the shipping is 6½ times that. Might make sense if you wanted to order a bunch of them.

I've never used that type (internal... they're calling it a "probe"; IDK—is it? Or is it a sensor?)
How are they for accuracy?

Not criticizing; I'm asking since I don't have experience with this type.

I like the type with a probe on a wire because I can put or tape the probe to the basking spot, etc.—even if it's hidden or obscured—and have the readout where it's convenient & easy to see.

Just poking around for price, I found these for around a buck apiece, but the shipping is 6½ times that. Might make sense if you wanted to order a bunch of them.
Accuracy seems to be pretty good all of mine are within about 1% & 1*F. I have the digital one with probes for the basking spot. The others are in there to allow me to quickly and easily check humidity throughout the enclosure and temp gradients. I also have a laser (gun style) thermometer for spot checks.

Back
Top Bottom