getting a male panther in a couple weeks, when should I buy food?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I plan on making an online order of bugs before I get my panther chameleon. How soon before I get him should I make my order? I think I will be ordering from dubiaroaches.com... Also, the chameleon should be about 3 months old when he arrives so which feeders should I get? Originally I was going to order small dubias, small hornworms, small black soldier fly larvae and a few waxworms... however I saw someone comment on some thread yesterday stating that when they're this young they only eat small crickets. Is this true? I was going to TRY and stay clear of crickets as they smell, jumpy and are loud (esp when young) BUT if I have to feed him them then obviously I would. Im unsure how controversial it is to not feed them crickets. Ive heard it go both ways. Any help/suggestion thank you

My cham will be here Wednesday and I ordered mine from the same site on the 27th and they arrived today. They ship from Kansas and I'm in Ohio, I assume where you're located would be a bit different. I got small dubias, hornworms and BSFL and completely cut out crickets for the same reason. The breeder I'm getting him from said that dubias are fine. You can always email the breeder and see what they have been feeding or what they suggest as well!

More then likely the baby is mainly used to crickets... you can not just drop them. This is the staple that almost all breeders use because they are the least expensive when your feeding each baby 30 feeders a day. You want to provide what they are used to and mix in other feeders this way they eat those too. Make sure you have a feeder run for them. Usually by the time they are 6 months old they are totally used to the new feeders and you can pull away from using crickets.

I would ensure that your feeders are ordered so they arrive at least a few days before baby does. Right now with delays in shipping due to weather you do not want to end up without feeders.

They just responded and said small crickets and silkworms.... Im going to buy crickets but what's the deal with silkworms? EVERYWHERE is out of stock lol are those like the holy grail insect or something? Even the site gulfcoastsilkworms is out of stock 😐

I'd order the smallest size of feeders. It's better to feed small feeders than not feed any because they're too big for your cham to safely eat

I agree with that. Someone else on here ordered feeders for a small feeders for a 3-4 month cham and the Breeder sent them a 1-2 month old Cham and the feeders he had gotten were too big. He had to overnight fruit flies!

yeah all sponsors here that sell them are sold out right now. and yeah i would order small. im actually surprised small is even out of stock since I would assume most people get med or large

I plan on making an online order of bugs before I get my panther chameleon. How soon before I get him should I make my order? I think I will be ordering from dubiaroaches.com... Also, the chameleon should be about 3 months old when he arrives so which feeders should I get? Originally I was going to order small dubias, small hornworms, small black soldier fly larvae and a few waxworms... however I saw someone comment on some thread yesterday stating that when they're this young they only eat small crickets. Is this true? I was going to TRY and stay clear of crickets as they smell, jumpy and are loud (esp when young) BUT if I have to feed him them then obviously I would. Im unsure how controversial it is to not feed them crickets. Ive heard it go both ways. Any help/suggestion thank you
I have had the best luck with ordering from rainbowmealworms.com. they always arrive two days after the shipping day and they have a great variety with good prices. You can also get a fecal kit from them to test your little one for parasites for onky $25. One thing about crickets is you can dust them with calcium and the other supplements where dusting other feeders is not as efficent.

Back
Top Bottom