General newbie help

I know nothing about chams! And now have 2 Fischers, what I believe are the smaller kind. I have a topic started for identification and am waiting for replies on that. But in the meantime I want to make sure I'm doing everything else right for them. They are together in a ReptiBreeze medium which is 16x16x30.
u4u2aje8.jpg

I was told they are thriving together and so should keep them together. But everything I've read says chams are better alone. They are both eating 1/2" crickets, 2/3 a day. The one I was told is a female is the mighty hunter and more active. I'm concerned the male especially is too thin, compared to pics I've seen of other chams.
The reptile store didn't know exactly how old they were since someone turned them in last month but estimated 4/5 months... they have a 75w repti basking/heat light and a slimline tropical fixture w/ a tropical 25 uvb t8 flourescent bulb. I'm misting 3/4 times a day but it seems like the silk/fake leaves absorb the water w/ in 5/10min. I'm worried its not staying humid at all.

Female
y6ejasem.jpg

e4a2ady5.jpg

uparu2ub.jpg

Male
2uqazuhy.jpg
9ynaneza.jpg

vyze6epu.jpg

Anything I need to change or do differently just let me know please!! THANK YOU

OH MA GAWD! I turned their lights on this morning and went out to walk the dogs. Upon returning I found them... fornicating! They've separated now but holy cow! I wasn't prepared for that. Aren't they too young? We'll be getting a second cage today! We didn't get them to breed.

And I got a reply - the male is definitely a kinyongia boehmei.

You had a male and female together.... What did your expect?

The require seperate cages no matter what. One can stress out the other, or in this case, breed too young.

I can't verify species for you, but you need two cages, a lot more foliage in each cage, and seperate bulbs.

What brand is that UVB bulb?

Also you can just a regular house bulb for basking.

What are their temps? Basking wise.

I like the cage, very neatly done.

I would definitely just buy another cage and duplicate the setup.

You need to seperate them.

You had a male and female together.... What did your expect?

The require seperate cages no matter what. One can stress out the other, or in this case, breed too young.

I can't verify species for you, but you need two cages, a lot more foliage in each cage, and seperate bulbs.

What brand is that UVB bulb?

Also you can just a regular house bulb for basking.

What are their temps? Basking wise.

The light is a Zilla Slimline Tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent. We took the plastic cover off as we were told it blocks the uvb rays.
I will have to take the temp in the cage when o get home later. The heat light is a 75w repti basking bulb.
I am also getting another cage today and at least a pothos to start additing more foilage to both cages. What size cage is ideal?

I wouldnt use the zilla.

Its not strong and its just a crap brand.

Get a reptiglo or reptisun for each cage.

I would do at least a 13x18x36 cage for each. probably bigger for the male.

The female, since shes been bred, and I THINK they are egg layers, youll need a egg laying bin.

a bucket at least 12 inches deep, filled with washed playsand or dirt, that is wet enough for her to dig a tunnel in, but not so wet it turns to mud.

OH MA GAWD! I turned their lights on this morning and went out to walk the dogs. Upon returning I found them... fornicating! They've separated now but holy cow! I wasn't prepared for that. Aren't they too young? We'll be getting a second cage today! We didn't get them to breed.

And I got a reply - the male is definitely a kinyongia boehmei.

Well, if you saw them mating they weren't "too young". A female who isn't receptive won't permit breeding. Obviously the shop you got them at doesn't know much about what they sell. Not only couldn't they tell you what they are and how to set them up correctly, but they told you they could share space without mating. We don't know if they even suggested that this wasn't a great choice (fischer's instead of the more forgiving and established veiled or panther...and not just one but a pair) for someone who hasn't kept chams before. Incredible.

Please understand...I don't mean to imply that you can't learn to care for them well, but you have bitten off a huge chunk of learning curve and I hate to see you and your chams heading into trouble.

Fischeri are very active chams, so you'll want to give them the largest cages you can fit in the space you have. Personally I'd give each of them a minimal cage of 2'x2'x4' really heavily packed with live foliage. They will need careful humidity control, no high temps, frequent misting, very cautious dusting and supplementing (most montane species like this are very sensitive to overdoses), consistent low temps at night year round, and now that you may have a gravid female reading up on how to deal with egglaying.

Well, if you saw them mating they weren't "too young". A female who isn't receptive won't permit breeding. Obviously the shop you got them at doesn't know much about what they sell. Not only couldn't they tell you what they are and how to set them up correctly, but they told you they could share space without mating. We don't know if they even suggested that this wasn't a great choice (fischer's instead of the more forgiving and established veiled or panther...and not just one but a pair) for someone who hasn't kept chams before. Incredible.

Please understand...I don't mean to imply that you can't learn to care for them well, but you have bitten off a huge chunk of learning curve and I hate to see you and your chams heading into trouble.

Fischeri are very active chams, so you'll want to give them the largest cages you can fit in the space you have. Personally I'd give each of them a minimal cage of 2'x2'x4' really heavily packed with live foliage. They will need careful humidity control, no high temps, frequent misting, very cautious dusting and supplementing (most montane species like this are very sensitive to overdoses), consistent low temps at night year round, and now that you may have a gravid female reading up on how to deal with egglaying.

I definitely don't want them to suffer due to my lack of knowledge either. Thats why I'm here! We just got them Sunday and I am trying to learn as much as possible quickly. The shop actually told us they were 'thriving' BECAUSE they were being kept together and that we shouldn't separate them... so yea I'm definitely starting raw here. I've already been in touch w/ a member here that is selling her cages cause she's getting out of breeding. I should be going to pick up at least one if not 2 bigger cages today.

Congrats on your chams! You came to the right place for info. Nobody is perfect when they are starting out. I made so many mistakes, but that's how you learn. Best of luck with them :)

Otay.. so each cham is now in their own cage! :-D They each have a few live plants and a few fake for the added coverage. The heat lights are 50w now and I've also upgraded their light to a
ReptiSun 5.0 UVB.
Thank you all so much for your help!
They are eating crickets and mealworms with gusto! Those are the only things locally available that I can find right now. What are the best bugs for them? Where do you all order from?

OH! And their basking spots are about 82-84 and towards the bottom of the cage is 73, obviously getting warmer as it goes up towards the heat light.

aduze7u4.jpg

I don't have a blind between the cages yet either.. I don't have a box big enough I can use the side from.. anything else I can use?

Glad to see someone who asks for advice and then follows it! I am sure your chameleons will thrive with the help of forum members. It is a shame that pet stores are allowed to sell animals they know nothing about. You could just hang a towel between the two cages. Just drape it over the top a little of one of them and use something to secure it to the edge like a clothespin or chip clip or something. Be creative!! lol Welcome to the community BTW!!!

Glad to see someone who asks for advice and then follows it! I am sure your chameleons will thrive with the help of forum members. It is a shame that pet stores are allowed to sell animals they know nothing about. You could just hang a towel between the two cages. Just drape it over the top a little of one of them and use something to secure it to the edge like a clothespin or chip clip or something. Be creative!! lol Welcome to the community BTW!!!

THANK YOU!! I actually realized after I finished posting that I still have the box that the light came in.. does it matter if one side is yellow & red? They are both at the same place on the side, are they looking at each other? They both explore then go back next to each other. Is this normal? Should I wait before putting the blind up?

Ok I've got the divider up, I was all excited last night about getting them all set up, so sorry for the multiple posts. Lol! So my questions are:

*Are my temps correct?

*What are the best kinds and where to order bugs from? They are currently eating crickets & mealworms.

*How do you feed the bugs & crickets? In a cup?

*What, if anything is typically used on the bottom of the cages?

THANK YOU!

A lot of Chams can eat Superworms, crickets, cockroaches, etc. there are many websites to try for feeders. Especially where u live the cost would be cheap for shipping! Just look at the sponsors on here and try them out! :)

Back
Top Bottom