Gender and age estimate help please

Lady Lark

Hello. I am new to having a chameleon to call my own and need a little help. I just brought my new little Veiled Chameleon home yesterday. I believe the little one is a female but no clue at age. Can anyone confirm the gender and give a estimate on age? Little one is about 3 inches from nose to base of tail. Tail adds almost another 3 inches.

Little one doesn't get mad very often but when she does she will go a very light green with black stripes all over. but other color change or markings are subtle. Other then that her normal colors are what's seen in
most of the pictures. The second image shows the excited or stressed coloring she exhibits
She handles very well but I have been the only one who has handled her since she got to the store.

20180510_175353.jpg LRM_EXPORT_20180512_123125.jpg LRM_EXPORT_20180512_223704 (1).jpg LRM_EXPORT_20180512_224306.jpg

Attachments

• 20180510_175353.jpg
    20180510_175353.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 85
  • LRM_EXPORT_20180512_123125.jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_20180512_123125.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 74
  • LRM_EXPORT_20180512_223704 (1).jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_20180512_223704 (1).jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 72
  • LRM_EXPORT_20180512_224306.jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_20180512_224306.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 39
If I'm wrong, correct me, but I think that's a female. Side note, you should try not to hold it for a week or so to let it acclimate. Learned that from other users on here.

If I'm wrong, correct me, but I think that's a female. Side note, you should try not to hold it for a week or so to let it acclimate. Learned that from other users on here.

Thanks for the confirmation on gender. As for the handling. I am very careful. I work part time at the petstore I got her from. I may have just brought her home yesterday but have been working with her daily for a little over a week. I only handle her for a few minutes each day while feeding her a couple of bugs or a bit green and only long enough to check overall health. With the exception of removing her from the shipping container the first day, I have never picked her up without her taking the first step. She now walks right on to my hand and out of her cage. I never touch her without her walking on to my hand first. I let it be her choice if she wants to be handled. I just wasn't sure on gender and age. The vendor my store goes through never informs us of age on the animals we get.

What does your set up look like?
How much are you feeding her.
She looks to be around 4ish 5 months old.

What does your set up look like?
How much are you feeding her.
She looks to be around 4ish 5 months old.

The habitat I have for her is an old one I already had. I believe its around a 16x16x30" or very close to that. I will be building her a larger cage her soon.
Feedings:
Insects: about 10 small (1/4") crickets a day. I have also offered a live wax worm and mealworm here and there (not many due to their fatty content. The worms were just to offer a variety of insects until my small dubia roach shipment comes in ( I only had mediums on hand and those were to big for her) and as a way for her to get used to me
Fresh Veggies: I just offered collards greens so far since I just started that a few days ago but will be offering her the same salad mix as I do my iguanas, turtles and, dragons which include leafy greens like the collard and mustard greens. I am going slow on that till I see what she likes. the veg is mainly offered in a bowl since that's what she is used to but I stick some on the end of branches throughout her cage to see which method she prefers.

At the store her habitat was misted twice a day (more if I was on shift). At home I increased the misting to 3 or 4 times a day to maintain humidity levels in the larger cage and to make sure she is drinking enough. Will be setting up a drip system as soon as I can.

Oh yeah right now she only has fake plants in her habitat but I will be switching over to live plants as soon as I get her bigger cage built. For lighting I am using a reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb and a 40w basking bulb

Hello. I am new to having a chameleon to call my own and need a little help. I just brought my new little Veiled Chameleon home yesterday. I believe the little one is a female but no clue at age. Can anyone confirm the gender and give a estimate on age? Little one is about 3 inches from nose to base of tail. Tail adds almost another 3 inches.

Little one doesn't get mad very often but when she does she will go a very light green with black stripes all over. but other color change or markings are subtle. Other then that her normal colors are what's seen in
most of the pictures. The second image shows the excited or stressed coloring she exhibits
She handles very well but I have been the only one who has handled her since she got to the store.

View attachment 205715 View attachment 205716 View attachment 205717 View attachment 205718
around 4 months old mabye. get ur laybox ready too. nice female.

Back
Top Bottom