Gel in feeder bowl

listen2justin

Established Member
So background: I feed my Panther Dubias that I buy from my local reptile shop. I have a feeder bowl with a small manzanita branch on it that I put the roaches on which I hang on my cage wall. Normally I'm able to watch the feeding, as he eats in one sitting, but today I woke up late and had to just get the roaches, dust them, throw them in the bowl and take off to work. When I got home about 9 hours later, the food was all gone and there was a couple (1-3) chunks of gel in the bowl, the biggest one was about a quarter to half a cubic inch. I've never used bug burger or bug gel so I wouldn't know their consistency but I would imagine what I found was how they would be. Firm, but soft and gelatenous. The bowl got wet because I run a MistKing throughout the day. I had 15-20 small roaches this feeding. I bought the batch on Monday. I don't know what my shop feeds them. I gut loaded the other night with Kale. I use a cup to dust the Dubias and I use Repashy Calcium Plus and Supercal NoD. Today I used NoD, but there might have been some trace of Calcium Plus in the cup. Then I dump them onto the feeder bowl, feeder bowl goes in cage. Does anyone have an idea of what those gel substance are, where could they come from, and are they harmful to Cham (his name is Cham Newton)???

Do you have a picture of it? It could be fluker brand gel for watering insects. Its not harmful but not the best option for water either.

It looks like this, but they also have a blue one that comes without the calcium fortification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170120-065035.png
    Screenshot_20170120-065035.png
    846.4 KB · Views: 112
Unfortunately I don't have a pic cuz I threw out before I thought about it, @Theveiled. The biggest chunk was clear, like solid glob of hair gel, but the other pieces had a brownish/orange shade. The thing the puzzles me is I've never used that Flukers or anything like that on the roaches. Is it possible for those things to pass through the roaches and the waste they leave on the bowl contain it? And then that waste is what expanded with the water contact?

Its possible it was dried on the feeders and then rehydrated when it got wet. It only takes a teaspoon to make a gallon batch. This is also way i dont recommend gel for babies, they can not be digested by animals, and the are too big for babies to pass. And yes the bulk stuff is clear, and can turn colors depending on what it touches.

Its possible it was dried on the feeders and then rehydrated when it got wet. It only takes a teaspoon to make a gallon batch. This is also way i dont recommend gel for babies, they can not be digested by animals, and the are too big for babies to pass. And yes the bulk stuff is clear, and can turn colors depending on what it touches.

So is this something I need to worry about? My Panther is 5 months old. Do I need to be worried about dried up gel on feeders and possibly expanding in the stomach of my cham?

So is this something I need to worry about? My Panther is 5 months old. Do I need to be worried about dried up gel on feeders and possibly expanding in the stomach of my cham?
Shouldnt matter much at that age. We are talking hatchlings and ones that cant eat half inch crickets yet. For Sub adults this isnt a problem, at that point they can pass small rocks etc.

Could be sperm, but idk about the different colors. I've seen my veiled drop sperm, and it looks like clear gel.

sounds like the water storing crystals.. I use the miracle grow water storing crystals in the water dish for my roaches and crickets so they dont drown in the water. they could have had some dried pieces stuck on their legs or something then they absorbed the water
WaterCrystals_0014_1_1_032204.jpg

sounds like the water storing crystals.. I use the miracle grow water storing crystals in the water dish for my roaches and crickets so they dont drown in the water. they could have had some dried pieces stuck on their legs or something then they absorbed the water
WaterCrystals_0014_1_1_032204.jpg

Yah that's exactly what it looked like. Figured that's what it was. So what would happen if that stuff was accidentally ingested by my cham? Can he digest or pass it?

Back
Top Bottom