Gecko pictures

Hi,

And thanks !

As for equipment, I usually say that pictures like this can be taken with any modern dSLR camera, with a decent lens and flash. As long as you learn how to use your equipment...

But, on the pics shown in my threads I've used :

cameras :

Nikon D300
Nikon D700

(I always use my cameres with vertical grip (batterypack)

lenses :

Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro

flashes :

Nikon SB 600
Sigma 500 Super
Nikon r1c1 Macroflash set-up (2 wireless flashes)

As for settings - these will usually change. But as a rule I always photograph in Aperture mode or Manual.

Usually aperture around f/8 to f/10, and shutterspeeds at around 1/100 (when using flash - as I do 99% of the time)

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Naultinus and U. phantasticus!!!!! You're a really lucky guy!!!! your pics are amazing too...

3043377967_7e43f7ea4e_o.jpg

3974493513_bae031be52_o.jpg

3974493453_985e10755b_o.jpg

Goniurosaurus luii

Those pictures are amazing.

Do you happen to have any pictures of (I think I am going to spell this wrong) Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus?

My hopes were high, it's alright! Completely understandable - but you had the Naultinus grayii so I was thinking maybe, just maybe.... ;)

Hi Thor,

do you know if this is a special form of the grayiis ? The ones I know and which I have seen so far don't have so many white spots. I know they are variable and that there are two or three forms in the hobby, maybe you can help me out here ?
Another question: Can you recommend me a beginner macro objective for canon dslrs, which is affordable ?

Best regards
Benny

Hi Thor,

do you know if this is a special form of the grayiis ? The ones I know and which I have seen so far don't have so many white spots. I know they are variable and that there are two or three forms in the hobby, maybe you can help me out here ?
Another question: Can you recommend me a beginner macro objective for canon dslrs, which is affordable ?

Best regards
Benny

On the first, I must say that I do not know..

And about macro lens : what is affordable ? The two lenses that always comes to mind is the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro.

But, I would prefer the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro before those

4625866025_1cfb9893b9_o.jpg

Strophurus taenicauda

Recognized that one from the 2011 GeckosUnlimited Calendar Contest. Your pics are just amazing. I'd love to pick your brain on some of the techniques. I recently got the canon MT-24EX twin macro flash, but it's incredibly tricky to hit the right lighting. I'm shooting with the 100mm canon macro lens on my old rebel XTi... I'm tempted to get a newer body, but...I think it's the operator - not the equipment.

Okay THAT is the cutest gecko I have seen in a while.

Then how about this one ?

5317153970_0d4dba529e_b.jpg

Marty : add me on Facebook ( I reckon everyone has an account :) ), and we can have a chat about it there ? Don't see any reason to bother the others with these things in a pic-thread ?

Back
Top Bottom