Garden lizard!

I found a baby lizard in the house on our shoes- and it loos like the kind you'd find in your garden. I REALLY want to keep it, but I don't even know the basics on "garden lizards". Can anyone help?

Attachments

• WIN_20201129_16_44_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201129_16_44_19_Pro.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 134
I found a baby lizard in the house on our shoes- and it loos like the kind you'd find in your garden. I REALLY want to keep it, but I don't even know the basics on "garden lizards". Can anyone help?

Its definitely an Anolis species, I want to say brown anole but the head shape seems a bit too slender, and looks more like a green anole, it is difficult to tell with the blurry pic.

It does look like a male based off the head shape. (One male per enclosure)

That said in MY OPINION these are some of the best pet lizards out there.

For care a 20 gallon planted enclosure will work, However to get the most out of your lizard I strongly recommend a 55 gallon tank with a lot of plants and wood work.

My personal set ups were always a 55 gallon aquarium, with one make, and three to four females. For tank mares they get along splendidly with long tailed grass lizards, but aside from that I don't mixed anoles with anything else other than the various "house geckos"

They need full spectrum lighting, use a T5HO fixture with a uvb reptile build for "tropical lizards" along with a 10k"daylight bulb" Most fixtures come with one.

They do NOT drink from water dishes, so I mist them twice daily.

Food is obvious, soft bodied insects. If you want to watch some action add black soldier flies and watch them pull mid air catches.

They will learn to eat from food dishes and possibly your hand, but keep physical handling to a minimum, they are delicate and unless they choose to sit on your hand, don't appreciate restraint.

Here is a good example of a general purpose anole enclosure.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-enclosure-nearly-done.174800/#post-1579753

I hope this helps, and I hope you decide to keep them.

Last edited:

I'll second the green anole (pictures), though I'd be more comfortable with a better picture and what state/region you're in. I also think it's likely not a baby (they don't get very big).

I'm going to disagree slightly on enclosure. From Reptiles Magazine's care sheet:
Vertically oriented terrariums are preferable, as taller enclosures better accommodate the arboreal green anole’s needs. Air circulation is important, so a well-ventilated terrarium is recommended. Vertically oriented vegetative cover is an absolute necessity; acrylic vines, plastic plants that adhere to the tank walls by way of suction cups and other such cover are highly recommended. Green anoles will sooner take refuge in suspended tangles of vegetation rather than in ground-level hides or caves.
This jibes with my own experience keeping the little guys. If I were to keep some today, I'd probably go for a hybrid type enclosure to help control temps & RH. It wouldn't necessarily have to be 2'x2'x4'H but as with any reptile enclosure, the bigger the better, and as large as you can afford.

These are one of the few lizards that you can house multiples together, though it's not necessary.
They also do fine with plastic plants, though a single decent sized Schefflera would (IMO) be perfect.

Last edited:
I have a question that I might know the answer to- Will Mobi (Juvinile Veiled Cham) eat Toe? (Green Anole)

Last edited:
I have a question that I might know the answer to- Will Mobi (Juvinile Veiled Cham) eat Toe? (Green Anole)
Yes

Don't beat around the bush—tell it to her straight up! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

TMK and IMO, there are so few exceptions to the, "never house 2 reptiles together" adage that it may as well be carved in stone. That said, there are exceptions (e.g. green anoles with other green anoles)—and exceptions to the exceptions. As a Canadian friend once told me, "Ya never know, eh?"

And chameleons can be sneaky little bastards! Turn your back for one second and it's, "ZOT! YOINK! Munchmunchmunch... What anole? I didn't see any anole... was there an anole in here" :rolleyes:

Wow- xD I should release him back outside then- We don't have the money for ANOTHER cage.
The upside is, if you live in an area where they're indigenous, you can always go out later and find some. When I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Florida, my grandfather taught me how.

Get up early on a cool (not frigid) morning, spread a bedsheet (or tarp or similar) on the ground under some shrubs, take the shrub by the trunk, and shake vigorously. The anoles (should) will drop onto the sheet—still somewhat groggy from the cool morning temps—and you can gather up a few as you desire. EZ-PZ ;)

Mkay. I took my "anole" to my science teacher's classroom, and she said it wasn't an anole, in fact, it's an invasive species killing off the anoles. It looks very similar to an anole, but there are a few differences in patterns.

Mkay. I took my "anole" to my science teacher's classroom, and she said it wasn't an anole, in fact, it's an invasive species killing off the anoles. It looks very similar to an anole, but there are a few differences in patterns.
1607107838633.png
Did she happen to mention what species she thinks it is or may be?

Brown anole?
Knight anole?
Tropical House Gecko?
Mediterranean Gecko?

IMO, a better pic & geographical state you're in would still help.

She said it's not an anole at all-- She also said it came from Mexico. I live in Houston Texas, and I'm not sure I can get a better picture.

Back
Top Bottom