gaining strength

bayne_928

so my sweet little pascal has decided he now wants to fight taking meds and i can’t tell if it’s a good or bad thing. one one hand, he’s strong enough to resist me prying his mouth open to syringe feed but on the other hand, i need him to take his meds so it’s kind of a bittersweet thing. so i guess if anyone has any tips on how to syringe feed a cham who doesn’t want to open up, i would greatly appreciate it! here’s my little man (not actually sure about the gender to be honest) displaying his colors while basking
A510EAC7-BA45-4517-99A8-D430D04CEC76.jpeg

Hello :) should post a few more pics & me & others could help on gender.
As far as syringe feeding, it will always stress them out. But meds need to be done, so you're correct about that.
Can I ask what you are giving for meds & why?

Hello :) should post a few more pics & me & others could help on gender.
As far as syringe feeding, it will always stress them out. But meds need to be done, so you're correct about that.
Can I ask what you are giving for meds & why?
i can definitely try to take better photos of his feet :) also he’s taking meds because he is so skinny and dehydrated and the vet didn’t think he has an active RI, but she gave me an antibiotic just to be safe. i attached a photo of the antibiotics and on top of that, he gets fed 0.1 mL of Oxbow brand critical care for carnivores
669CE9A8-EF91-47FD-841A-65DB1036D691.jpeg

Take a look at this link. There are some tips on giving meds. Unfortunately they learn the game and tend to start to clamp down. You will want to be gentle with baby though. Not looking good at all. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Baby is so emaciated that I can not even tell gender. Could be female because I am not seeing much of a tarsal spur if any but I am not sure... until baby is healthy and holding the weight it should I would not want to say for sure what the gender is.

Take a look at this link. There are some tips on giving meds. Unfortunately they learn the game and tend to start to clamp down. You will want to be gentle with baby though. Not looking good at all. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Baby is so emaciated that I can not even tell gender. Could be female because I am not seeing much of a tarsal spur if any but I am not sure... until baby is healthy and holding the weight it should I would not want to say for sure what the gender is.
yeah unfortunately pascal was being outcompeted by the other chameleons in the store and got sick really fast. however, he has shown really great improvement in just a week and he drinks from his leaves really well and once he starts opening his mouth and i get the first dribble of meds going he takes them fine. it just is a bit hard because he’s figured out when i stick my nail in his lips to open them it means it’s time for the meds but my boyfriend has been very helpful in assisting me. we think it may be a male cause the tip of the head is pointed instead of round but i agree that hes probably too sick to tell

yeah unfortunately pascal was being outcompeted by the other chameleons in the store and got sick really fast. however, he has shown really great improvement in just a week and he drinks from his leaves really well and once he starts opening his mouth and i get the first dribble of meds going he takes them fine. it just is a bit hard because he’s figured out when i stick my nail in his lips to open them it means it’s time for the meds but my boyfriend has been very helpful in assisting me. we think it may be a male cause the tip of the head is pointed instead of round but i agree that hes probably too sick to tell
With gender on Veileds this young you tell by the tarsal spurs on the back of the back feet. If there is one then it is male if there is not one and it is smooth you have a female. But like I said he is really thin and I can not tell from the pics. Only one shows the back of the foot and I can not see much there.

It is holding its nose up which is a tell tell RI symptom. I doubt it was being out competed by the other babies. More to do with stress and incorrect husbandry.

With gender on Veileds this young you tell by the tarsal spurs on the back of the back feet. If there is one then it is male if there is not one and it is smooth you have a female. But like I said he is really thin and I can not tell from the pics. Only one shows the back of the foot and I can not see much there.

It is holding its nose up which is a tell tell RI symptom. I doubt it was being out competed by the other babies. More to do with stress and incorrect husbandry.
i didn’t know that about gendering them thank you! when we saw the vet she didn’t think there was an active infection but she gave me some antibiotics just so we could be safe. he’s been using his eyes a bit more too which is a very good sign. i have to go back in a few weeks to make sure that things are improving the way we want and if not then worst case happens and we have to discuss if euthanasia is what’s best for the little baby so hopefully he continues to improve

i didn’t know that about gendering them thank you! when we saw the vet she didn’t think there was an active infection but she gave me some antibiotics just so we could be safe. he’s been using his eyes a bit more too which is a very good sign. i have to go back in a few weeks to make sure that things are improving the way we want and if not then worst case happens and we have to discuss if euthanasia is what’s best for the little baby so hopefully he continues to improve
Well hopefully you can start using real insects instead of the carnivore care. It is not the best to use for long periods of time. Even small silkworms would be good. You can pop them in its mouth and they are soft bodied so they would be easier to chew. Then you can also supplement correctly if baby is getting real food.

Well hopefully you can start using real insects instead of the carnivore care. It is not the best to use for long periods of time. Even small silkworms would be good. You can pop them in its mouth and they are soft bodied so they would be easier to chew. Then you can also supplement correctly if baby is getting real food.
i’ve actually started using live crickets! when he opens his mouth to take some water or meds i wait until i know he’s swallowed everything and slip tiny ones in his mouth. today i mashed some of them up to mix it not the carnivore care to make it taste better for him. i have to grab some diabetic needles from the lab i work in monday so i can start injecting the meds into the bugs. i tried a wax worm last night but he wasn’t having any of it and i don’t like stressing him more than he already is

i’ve actually started using live crickets! when he opens his mouth to take some water or meds i wait until i know he’s swallowed everything and slip tiny ones in his mouth. today i mashed some of them up to mix it not the carnivore care to make it taste better for him. i have to grab some diabetic needles from the lab i work in monday so i can start injecting the meds into the bugs. i tried a wax worm last night but he wasn’t having any of it and i don’t like stressing him more than he already is
I would make a bug soup mash rather then the carnivore care. @kinyonga do you have the thread that talks about that?

Agreed. I can't tell either.

i will definitely ask the vet about this thank you 😊
Cricket powder works good too

Also this has really good reviews! You just wanna make it more on the watery side. & make sure when you are feeding that you're not just putting it in his mouth but more tords the back of throat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211006-025703_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211006-025703_Samsung Internet.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 75
Cricket powder works good too

Also this has really good reviews! You just wanna make it more on the watery side. & make sure when you are feeding that you're not just putting it in his mouth but more tords the back of throat.
i had asked the vet about this actually but she was a bit more familiar with the critical care which is why she gave it to me. also when i do adjuster door or meds i usually drop a bit on his lips and let him open up for me that way to make sure he’s doing it himself but he’s so quick about opening and closing it gets a bit tricky. tomorrow i’m going to grab some diabetic needles and start injecting the stuff into his crickets that way it’s less messy and a bit safer as i am paranoid about blocking his air way

Back
Top Bottom