Future first time Cham owner. The right housing for a panther chameleon?

cruzv

I’m buying a previously owned bio active clear side dragon strand cage, measurements 28.5x18 and 29.5 tall. I am familiar with the brand, but would like to know if it would support the chameleon even as a full grown adult? The cage has clear panels on the front, right side, and on the back would this cause problems with the airflow? I’ll attach pictures of the enclosure to this post. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8A6CF0F4-6C63-41C9-9DAC-56C2C0E9C7FA.png
    8A6CF0F4-6C63-41C9-9DAC-56C2C0E9C7FA.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 88788163-B955-4E42-A12E-164768E39857.png
    88788163-B955-4E42-A12E-164768E39857.png
    469 KB · Views: 148
  • C97A78E1-008F-43DB-8948-A8E525B39AC8.png
    C97A78E1-008F-43DB-8948-A8E525B39AC8.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 112
This enclosure looks to be the 30" x 23" x 48" tall version. Are these pictures of the exact cage you are considering?
Bill

I’m buying a previously owned bio active clear side dragon strand cage, measurements 28.5x18 and 29.5 tall. I am familiar with the brand, but would like to know if it would support the chameleon even as a full grown adult? The cage has clear panels on the front, right side, and on the back would this cause problems with the airflow? I’ll attach pictures of the enclosure to this post. Thanks in advance!
Ventilation is not an issue. You have one complete side that is screen and the top as well so you will not have stagnant air. The solid sides allow you, if you create a heavily planted are, to create a humidity pocket which will hold humidity longer. (This cage was designed specifically for chameleons).

The cage pictures is actually better than most cages as far as size goes. The one that is 29.5" tall is the minimum that I would put an adult chameleon in, but there is a complete build guide on the dragonstrand.com website to explain how to do it properly. What chameleon are you wanting to use it for?

Once again, if it is the cage in the picture there is no question that it is a great option for your chameleon. That is the Medium Tall Clearside Atrium in the picture. The dimensions you are quoting is the Medium Clearside Atrium. So there is a big difference in dimensions between the two!

Bill

Ventilation is not an issue. You have one complete side that is screen and the top as well so you will not have stagnant air. The solid sides allow you, if you create a heavily planted are, to create a humidity pocket which will hold humidity longer. (This cage was designed specifically for chameleons).

The cage pictures is actually better than most cages as far as size goes. The one that is 29.5" tall is the minimum that I would put an adult chameleon in, but there is a complete build guide on the dragonstrand.com website to explain how to do it properly. What chameleon are you wanting to use it for?

Once again, if it is the cage in the picture there is no question that it is a great option for your chameleon. That is the Medium Tall Clearside Atrium in the picture. The dimensions you are quoting is the Medium Clearside Atrium. So there is a big difference in dimensions between the two!

Bill
Thanks this is very helpful! I am planning to use it for a panther chameleon and just wanted to make sure it was a good fit. unfortunately, it does not come with any accessories, just the bioactive enclosure so I will have to wait and maintain the enclosure for about a month before I can get him but I am excited for sure!

You got the best info possible from the gentleman that actually is responsible for the amazing Dragon Strand line.

I have the medium Tall clearside Atrium. I love it and would never buy smaller for my guy. Airflow is fantastic in this and it is the best enclosure by far on the market IMO.

The only thing I would say is you want to know why they are selling it. If you are getting the plants and all with it and it has not been cleaned prior to you getting it and you will not be cleaning it. I would be cautious because if the chameleon had a parasite depending on the parasite there is potential for cross contamination to your chameleon.

You got the best info possible from the gentleman that actually is responsible for the amazing Dragon Strand line.

I have the medium Tall clearside Atrium. I love it and would never buy smaller for my guy. Airflow is fantastic in this and it is the best enclosure by far on the market IMO.

The only thing I would say is you want to know why they are selling it. If you are getting the plants and all with it and it has not been cleaned prior to you getting it and you will not be cleaning it. I would be cautious because if the chameleon had a parasite depending on the parasite there is potential for cross contamination to your chameleon.
she actually told me the reason she was selling it at all was that she thought she had to move for work and gave away her veiled. are there any visible signs I should be aware of that would lead to parasites?

she actually told me the reason she was selling it at all was that she thought she had to move for work and gave away her veiled. are there any visible signs I should be aware of that would lead to parasites?
Unfortunately visibly you can not tell. Parasites come out in the fecal matter. The issue is some are very long living like coccidia. And the reinfection happens when the cham eats a feeder that walks through infected fecal mater (or licks a plant/branch with infected fecal) and now the oocysts of the parasite then gets ingested with the feeder. This in turn causes infection in the new host.

Some parasites are very easy to treat and then get rid of (harder in a bioactive enclosure though). Others like coccidia live a very long time and require 40 volume peroxide to kill it off. But with Coccidia you have to strip everything porous and trash it.

So personally I would strip the cage and not take a chance but I have dealt with Coccidia and it was something I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Also it does not look like they have an actual drainage layer in the cage. Looks like all soil.

What are they asking for it price wise?

Unfortunately visibly you can not tell. Parasites come out in the fecal matter. The issue is some are very long living like coccidia. And the reinfection happens when the cham eats a feeder that walks through infected fecal mater (or licks a plant/branch with infected fecal) and now the oocysts of the parasite then gets ingested with the feeder. This in turn causes infection in the new host.

Some parasites are very easy to treat and then get rid of (harder in a bioactive enclosure though). Others like coccidia live a very long time and require 40 volume peroxide to kill it off. But with Coccidia you have to strip everything porous and trash it.

So personally I would strip the cage and not take a chance but I have dealt with Coccidia and it was something I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Also it does not look like they have an actual drainage layer in the cage. Looks like all soil.

What are they asking for it price wise?
the asking price was $250

the asking price was $250
Well that is a great price... Worth it for the cage alone... Are they including the lighting or anything else? Looks like they have a mistking hooked up.

Personally I would buy it and strip it and clean it really well then set it up properly if you want bioactive.

no its just the enclosure, although they told me they would throw in the mistking for an extra $100.
would the drainage layer cause a big problem? also she has isopods and springtails in it could those transmit the parasites?

no its just the enclosure, although they told me they would throw in the mistking for an extra $100.
would the drainage layer cause a big problem? also she has isopods and springtails in it could those transmit the parasites?
If the drainage layer is not done properly then yes it can cause issues for the plants. They become water logged and die off or do not grow well.

You want to ask what kind of water they used for the mistking. If they say tap water do not buy it. Calcium and mineral build up ruins misting systems. And they are only $125 to buy brand new.

I am not sure about contagion for the CUC in there. But it can transmit through feeders that run through or eat fecal matter so it would seem to me that the CUC would be able to carry it as well. Like I said me personally I would strip the cage and clean it and toss out everything but I also dealt with it once and it was the worst experience of my life. So I am very cautious.

This blog will tell you much more about bio active set up. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

I will be sure to ask them a few more questions about the cage and mistking and definitely consider stripping it down and starting over thanks for all the help!

@Beman do you mind helping me again?
I was all for the dragon strand cage, good price for a good brand, but i have recently encountered a great deal on a fully set up xl reptibreeze enclosure comes with t10 hood,uv bulb,plant bulb, mistking, heatlamp, branches vines, two outdoor enclosures really everything that a chameleon would need and $25 cheaper is the cage worth passing up on this deal? ill attatch some pictures when i get to my phone

Attachments

• C222A754-7E0D-42F4-931B-82003B3BC585.png
    C222A754-7E0D-42F4-931B-82003B3BC585.png
    566.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 848255BA-2981-499E-AD08-911E06CE73D5.png
    848255BA-2981-499E-AD08-911E06CE73D5.png
    541.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 966D8F95-6881-4284-A7C0-E506A1E28FCA.png
    966D8F95-6881-4284-A7C0-E506A1E28FCA.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 54B53895-4EE3-4797-B213-2985B0E03511.png
    54B53895-4EE3-4797-B213-2985B0E03511.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
@Beman do you mind helping me again?
I was all for the dragon strand cage, good price for a good brand, but i have recently encountered a great deal on a fully set up xl reptibreeze enclosure comes with t10 hood,uv bulb,plant bulb, mistking, heatlamp, branches vines, two outdoor enclosures really everything that a chameleon would need and $25 cheaper is the cage worth passing up on this deal? ill attatch some pictures when i get to my phone
Well I have had a reptibreeze and my honest opinion is that they are total crap. In fact I threw mine away. The door always tried to come off and the frame flexed when I tried to utilize it outside. They rust and the screws unscrew themselves from the frame. The screen that they use is very low quality as well.

Think of it this way... The reptibreeze is a ford focus and the Dragon Strand is a Lexus. That is how different the quality between the two cages is.

There is also the difference in size. Reptibreeze is 24x24x48 while the dragon strand that you are looking at has the same dimensions but is 30 inches wide. The 6 additional inches in width makes a big difference IMO.

Also again you run into are you needing to strip the cage? Why are they getting rid of everything? Most people are not going to disclose that the cages are contaminated and their chameleon actually died.

Personally I would go with the dragon strand and I would strip it and clean it. If you want to go bio active you can and set it up properly. I know the better deal is tempting... But I have learned that cheaping out in this hobby only bites ya in the butt later. Buying quality products that will last you the life of the chameleon and longer is worth while in the long run.

That is my 2 cents :)

Go with the Dragon Strand! I have 2 Repti Breeze and while they’re ok, I’m constantly fighting them warping so I can close the door properly. You get the quality you pay for.

Well I have had a reptibreeze and my honest opinion is that they are total crap. In fact I threw mine away. The door always tried to come off and the frame flexed when I tried to utilize it outside. They rust and the screws unscrew themselves from the frame. The screen that they use is very low quality as well.

Think of it this way... The reptibreeze is a ford focus and the Dragon Strand is a Lexus. That is how different the quality between the two cages is.

There is also the difference in size. Reptibreeze is 24x24x48 while the dragon strand that you are looking at has the same dimensions but is 30 inches wide. The 6 additional inches in width makes a big difference IMO.

Also again you run into are you needing to strip the cage? Why are they getting rid of everything? Most people are not going to disclose that the cages are contaminated and their chameleon actually died.

Personally I would go with the dragon strand and I would strip it and clean it. If you want to go bio active you can and set it up properly. I know the better deal is tempting... But I have learned that cheaping out in this hobby only bites ya in the butt later. Buying quality products that will last you the life of the chameleon and longer is worth while in the long run.

That is my 2 cents :)
thank you very much! i have decided to stick with the dragon strand it just makes way more sense. i may go bio active after i clean it but not 100% sure yet i read in that link i can take up to a month to complete the cycle and i don't know if i can wait that long lol

thank you very much! i have decided to stick with the dragon strand it just makes way more sense. i may go bio active after i clean it but not 100% sure yet i read in that link i can take up to a month to complete the cycle and i don't know if i can wait that long lol
Great choice. So make sure the person has the floor panels that go with it. There should be a white one and a screen one. Just make sure when you clean it... Do not leave it in the sun to dry.

Bill Strand is actually doing a class currently on setting up your chameleons enclosure. It is free and would be a great way for you to learn a ton of info and how to utilize his cage best. There is a class on Saturday. You can sign up at this link https://chameleonacademy.com/
His website is a great learning resource and his podcast is also fantastic with over 125 episodes on tons of topics. www.chameleonbreeder.com

Great choice. So make sure the person has the floor panels that go with it. There should be a white one and a screen one. Just make sure when you clean it... Do not leave it in the sun to dry.

Bill Strand is actually doing a class currently on setting up your chameleons enclosure. It is free and would be a great way for you to learn a ton of info and how to utilize his cage best. There is a class on Saturday. You can sign up at this link https://chameleonacademy.com/
His website is a great learning resource and his podcast is also fantastic with over 125 episodes on tons of topics. www.chameleonbreeder.com
ill make sure to ask about the panels and will sign up for the class thanks!

Back
Top Bottom