Furcifer Willsii Clutch

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was taking care of the chameleons in the greenhouse today and found a surprise. My very gravid female Furcifer willsii who had been refusing to lay eggs in a couple types of laying bins decided to lay a clutch of 5 eggs on the bottom of her enclosure today. I palpitated her stomach and she has got more eggs to lay. However here is some photo's. All my digits crossed that in about 6-9 months or the beginning of Madagascar's summer/wet season my clutch of baby Furcifer willsii is going to hatch.

H7hUBw.jpg

j5nHQH.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
wow that is great news, how many chameleons do you have? I seem you have a brevicornis and a parsonii and now a willsis, what more do you have? :D

Congrats Jeremy! I hope she is able to lay the remaining eggs as well. Just a suggestion but I would recommend giving her a permanent home in a trash can until she lays the rest of them. I've found this to work great for lateralis, campani as well as petteri so I bet it will work for the willsii too. Best of luck!

I was taking care of the chameleons in the greenhouse today and found a surprise. My very gravid female Furcifer willsii who had been refusing to lay eggs in a couple types of laying bins decided to lay a clutch of 5 eggs on the bottom of her enclosure today. I palpitated her stomach and she has got more eggs to lay. However here is some photo's. All my digits crossed that in about 6-9 months or the beginning of Madagascar's summer/wet season my clutch of baby Furcifer willsii is going to hatch.

H7hUBw.jpg

j5nHQH.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

WOWOWOWOW!! You have F. willsii? Oh, one of my dream species! I had the pleasure of seeing a male close up in Madagascar and have loved them ever since. I wish the best for Mom and babies!

wow that is great news, how many chameleons do you have? I seem you have a brevicornis and a parsonii and now a willsis, what more do you have? :D

Thanks.. This is great news. I have got a filled greenhouse and an almost filled aquarium room meaning many more chameleon species. I have owned the my female Furcifer willsii for a while now.

Congrats Jeremy! I hope she is able to lay the remaining eggs as well. Just a suggestion but I would recommend giving her a permanent home in a trash can until she lays the rest of them. I've found this to work great for lateralis, campani as well as petteri so I bet it will work for the willsii too. Best of luck!

Thanks Nick. I have used the trash can as a laying bin before. However with her she is small enough that I decided to use a 5 gallon bucket this time. She did a lot of walking however made not attempt to dig to lay her clutch in laying holes. It seems she has finished laying her clutch of 6 eggs on the bottom of the/her enclosure as of last night/today.

WOWOWOWOW!! You have F. willsii? Oh, one of my dream species! I had the pleasure of seeing a male close up in Madagascar and have loved them ever since. I wish the best for Mom and babies!

Thanks a lot. She finished with 6 eggs total in the clutch last night/today.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
This tiny little female Furcifer willsii has got some eggs inside her. She laid another egg a couple days ago and another egg today. That makes this clutch 8 total eggs.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
This is a photo/picture of the 8 eggs in the clutch. 4 of the eggs look as though they are not good. The last 4 eggs in the clutch look good.

4UE93d.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thanks! Three of the four eggs that did not make looked as though they were only going to have an outside shot at making it from the start.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Almost a month after the first eggs were laid this little female Furcifer willsii laid here 9th egg of this clutch today. However I did not spot it in time and a cricket ate a whole in the egg.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Just a follow up about this clutch. The 4 good eggs made it through a diapause and a warm period. I did not candle them however I should have. Just before entering a second diapause stage the 4 good eggs started to mold over. The last one molded over June of 2016 and was laid 4/2015. That was an incubation of 14 months for a Furcifer species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Just a follow up about this clutch. The 4 good eggs made it through a diapause and a warm period. I did not candle them however I should have. Just before entering a second diapause stage the 4 good eggs started to mold over. The last one molded over June of 2016 and was laid 4/2015. That was an incubation of 14 months for a Furcifer species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy,

Just out of curiosity, why did you intend to diapause them a 2nd time? I very much doubt that's necessary even if you've been told otherwise. What temps. were they at during the warm and cool periods? Also, they probably would not have made it regardless of what you did if they molded over. Hopefully you'll get some more chances :)

Kevin

Jeremy,

Just out of curiosity, why did you intend to diapause them a 2nd time? I very much doubt that's necessary even if you've been told otherwise. What temps. were they at during the warm and cool periods? Also, they probably would not have made it regardless of what you did if they molded over. Hopefully you'll get some more chances :)

Kevin

Kevin

How presumptuous me not being able to hatch these out regardless? I have bred multiple species of Furcifer species in the past. Why would I not be capable of breeding Furcifer willsii? Most of these eggs looked good through most main incubation periods. Even if I did beat everyone else to the punch.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Kevin

How presumptuous me not being able to hatch these out regardless? I have bred multiple species of Furcifer species in the past. Why would I not be capable of breeding Furcifer willsii? Most of these eggs looked good through most main incubation periods. Even if I did beat everyone else to the punch.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy,

What I meant was you should not beat yourself up over it because you probably did not do anything wrong, and maybe the eggs were not destined to hatch. :rolleyes:

Anyway, can't wait to see all the willsii you hatch before everyone else. You definitely have less eggs than others I know.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom