Furcifer Pardalis, Racial Question...

Well said Dean... Agree with you 100%. To think that that mixing locals will make the chameleon hobby stronger and more popular is foolish. With an ever decreasing quota of chameleons being exported due to shrinking natural populations who’s to say that we will be able to get any more period? You compare chameleons to snakes where there is no comparison. I actually find this rather comical… If a chameleon were as easy to care for as a snake then the hobby would be many many times larger. How many new people fine their way to the forum and make threads like “I just hatched my 5th clutch” as opposed to “MY ChamEleOn is going tO Die! Help!11!!!”?

To each is your own… If you want to cross locals then you need to at least be responsible enough to keep track of what you are doing. Nobody can tell you what to do with your chameleon, it is after all... Yours.

i made the comparison to snakes because they are both reptiles, they both breed, they are both exotics, they both can be found at the same show, and because a lot more is known about breeding snakes than breeding chameleons and I wanted to use a good example for a direct correlation which is that snakes are more easy to take care of and have been widely available for longer and the advancement of snake breeding to the relatively new idea of advanced chameleon breeding which is represented by the distance the industry has come on both with snakes being old and chams being new

You compare chameleons to snakes where there is no comparison. I actually find this rather comical…

GodMakesTheSnakeCartoon.jpg

You compare chameleons to snakes where there is no comparison.

You don't see a similarity between selectively breeding albino, spider, pied, etc. ball pythons and selectively breeding translucent, sunburst, high blue, etc veiled chameleons? Neither are localities, they are selectively bred "morphs."

Hey, I want a locality "pure" veiled chameleon. Where can I get one?

I see nothing wrong with cross-bred F. pardalis, for pets, as long as they're properly identified. I'm not as concerned about them when they come straight from the original breeder, but more concerned with how much of thier origin gets lost in translation from owner 1, to owner 2, to owner three and so on.

Cross = Good Pet
Cross = Bad breeder

Dave said it well.....

But what happens when the Pet Owner , later, wants to breed it?

or what happens when he decides he can't take care of it anymore and adopts it out to someone who does want to breed.

a lot of people request that the crosses they sell not be bred, but the best way to ensure that is to only sell to reputable people, people you know are going to keep it to grow it out and see its color, and if they decide they have to sell it, that they will sell it to someone reputable

Once again we're dealing with "The Issue"

My opinion is that we should look at the other species kept as pets
for a model and approach to solving or at least managing this issue.

Take dogs for example:
All the same species
Pure bloods are sold by legit breeders with documentation.
Mix breed "mutts" do NOT get papers and can be found
being handed out of a cardboard box in front of the supermarket.

The best solution as I see it is to establish lines and value the offspring accordingly
papers and certification will boost the animal's status.

There's going to be great resistance to this as there are many that will be left out in the cold.
It'll also put greater pressure on the whole sellers and importers
to do more than just keep their species straight.
but the upside is that breeding will be held to a higher standard
inbreeding will be reduced resulting in healthier genetics
and we'll get highly refined lines of distinctive looking animals rather quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom