Fun Facts/Important Facts

It's been a year since I have been here, I'm back! I was wondering if you guys have any fun facts or important info about chameleons that you learned as you got them/mistakes you've learned from? Veiled Chameleon especially!

*DISCLAIMER* I do not have a chameleon yet, and I won't for a few years, I just want all the info before hand.

Welcome back!

If you get a male you won’t face the reproductive issues that kill so many of the veiled females at a young age.

pay close attention to getting the husbandry right.

Read all you can from this site, Chameleon Academy, Neptune the Chameleon, etc.

Buy your chameleon from a good breeder. People on here can advise you more on that.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

If you get a male you won’t face the reproductive issues that kill so many of the veiled females at a young age.

pay close attention to getting the husbandry right.

Read all you can from this site, Chameleon Academy, Neptune the Chameleon, etc.

Buy your chameleon from a good breeder. People on here can advise you more on that.
Thank you! So, I’m assuming you’d recommend a male? I have seen a lot of people saying a breeder or like a good reptile store, and I probably will go for one of those. I just see the little chameleons in petco or petsmart in those tiny cages and it makes me want to save every single one!

The poor little chameleons in those pet stores beg for rescue…and it constantly breaks my heart to know most of them will die…but if/when we talk to those stores, they won’t change and look after them. If we buy them to save them….they will just order more to replace the ones we bought and not care for them properly while they wait to be bought either…and our buying them only encourages them to continue buying more…and the cycle continues. So sad. There has to be a way to stop the cycle.

If you get a small chameleon,dont buy a small cage. Start off with a 2'x2'x4' or you sill waste money. They will grow into it fast enough. Vieleds double in size every two weeks when they are young. Dont buy one younger than four months old if it is going to be shipped and no younger than three months if bought locally.

If you get a small chameleon,dont buy a small cage. Start off with a 2'x2'x4' or you sill waste money. They will grow into it fast enough. Vieleds double in size every two weeks when they are young. Dont buy one younger than four months old if it is going to be shipped and no younger than three months if bought locally.
Oh, I appreciate it! May I ask why that is, i mean for the ages?

Oh, I appreciate it! May I ask why that is, i mean for the ages?
Well it is very stressful to be shipped and the older a baby is the less fragile. You should ask about date of birth as a decent breeder will know! They should never be taken from the clutch before three months. By interacting with their siblings they learn to hunt better and move faster and be more stable on Walking and running on branches. you should also ask the breeder how they feed their clutches. mine used a large plastic cup with a stick in it. I still use the same method to this day. dont use clear plastic as the cham will continue to hit it with its tongue to get to the food. Stick needs to be tall enough for the cham to climb out if it falls in! i just wedge it in between a vine and a stivk up.high. Also he would hang whole lettuce leaves ( i use collard greens, more nutritionsl) and all the little chams would run to eat it up. oh the small worm bowls that are sold are not heavy enough to stay put once they get bigger their tongues have a very strong suction. To fix this, i glued the bowl to a heavy flat rock. Superworms climb right out so i put the bowl in a a bigger ceramic bowl and wedge paper next to it so the worms will go into the ceramic bowl and not over the edge! Works great. In the big cage they rarely will go to the bottom so you have to offer food up high.

The poor little chameleons in those pet stores beg for rescue…and it constantly breaks my heart to know most of them will die…but if/when we talk to those stores, they won’t change and look after them. If we buy them to save them….they will just order more to replace the ones we bought and not care for them properly while they wait to be bought either…and our buying them only encourages them to continue buying more…and the cycle continues. So sad. There has to be a way to stop the cycle.
Yeah… I am really into fish keeping and I have two tanks running at my house, I don’t buy fish from the chain pet stores (I buy them from a local fish shop). But I cannot stop myself with those poor poor bettas….

Well it is very stressful to be shipped and the older a baby is the less fragile. You should ask about date of birth as a decent breeder will know! They should never be taken from the clutch before three months. By interacting with their siblings they learn to hunt better and move faster and be more stable on Walking and running on branches. you should also ask the breeder how they feed their clutches. mine used a large plastic cup with a stick in it. I still use the same method to this day. dont use clear plastic as the cham will continue to hit it with its tongue to get to the food. Stick needs to be tall enough for the cham to climb out if it falls in! i just wedge it in between a vine and a stivk up.high. Also he would hang whole lettuce leaves ( i use collard greens, more nutritionsl) and all the little chams would run to eat it up. oh the small worm bowls that are sold are not heavy enough to stay put once they get bigger their tongues have a very strong suction. To fix this, i glued the bowl to a heavy flat rock. Superworms climb right out so i put the bowl in a a bigger ceramic bowl and wedge paper next to it so the worms will go into the ceramic bowl and not over the edge! Works great. In the big cage they rarely will go to the bottom so you have to offer food up high.
Ah thank you!! That’s super super helpful I appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom