Frustrated with Drainage

mirrinias

Hey guys, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with drainage. Somehow, I didn't anticipate just how darn WET everything would be, haha. Right now, I have my 18" x 18" screen cage with pvc floor sitting in a water heater drain pan (like this" http://bic-sales.store.buy.com/p/water-heater-drain-pan/204603827.html) But I don't like this solution at all because it creates a pond that's the perfect breeding place for nasty things. Not only that, it's a tight fit, so it has begun to leak.

So, if you could help me think of some ideas, I'd really appreciate it. We will have to be creative because I have absolutely NO power tools at all -- including a power drill. Nor do I know anyone whom I can borrow one from, and they are too expensive for me to go out and buy to drill one hole with. I have heavy plants in the bottom, and they sit on a brick to increase their height.

My next plan was a kiddie pool and a siphon...but I want to see if we can come up with anything better. Thanks.

EDIT: I meant to put this in the enclosures and supplies section. Oops!

Last edited:
and they are too expensive for me to go out and buy to drill one hole with.

Not condoning it but....

You wouldn’t be the first to buy a drill (or fill in the blank) from Wally World only to return a week later. wink wink nudge nudge say no more

Lol! Say no more :)

We switched out the bottom of our tank for bread crates (the diamond plastic thick ones) and have placed it in a plastic tray with a hole on the corner. Water runs through and drips into a basin.

63a5443d-1c53-4c22.jpg

63a5443d-1c66-a81c.jpg

63a5443d-1c80-49a3.jpg

I love this topic because I also struggle with this. Here are my two FR areas an the drainage creations I've come up with. Note that I have to use a wet dry vac DAILY to get the water drainage out of the red sleds. Yes - those fancy pans are plastic sleds I bought at the Dollar store! They fit perfectly on my kitchen racks. I only clean them every few weeks. The FR with 2 kitchen racks has heavy duty plastic behind it that I bought from the hydroponic store. It's a total pain but never leaks.
The FR with the shower curtains keeps the water in better than my first FR creations - but I still use an appliance drain pan since my mister gets moved a lot. I'm renting...and I'm a good tenant, but I do have to towel up mist or water on the floor occasionally.

Man I wish I coulda got a tray like that! Had to get my brother to make me a drip tray. It didn't work on its own as the water still pooled! We just propped the front of the tray up with 2 small pieces of wood to give it an angle for the water to run back.

I love monty python! DOCTOR! MY BRAIN HURTS! :D

Hey guys, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with drainage. Somehow, I didn't anticipate just how darn WET everything would be, haha. Right now, I have my 18" x 18" screen cage with pvc floor sitting in a water heater drain pan (like this" http://bic-sales.store.buy.com/p/water-heater-drain-pan/204603827.html) But I don't like this solution at all because it creates a pond that's the perfect breeding place for nasty things. Not only that, it's a tight fit, so it has begun to leak.

So, if you could help me think of some ideas, I'd really appreciate it. We will have to be creative because I have absolutely NO power tools at all -- including a power drill. Nor do I know anyone whom I can borrow one from, and they are too expensive for me to go out and buy to drill one hole with. I have heavy plants in the bottom, and they sit on a brick to increase their height.

My next plan was a kiddie pool and a siphon...but I want to see if we can come up with anything better. Thanks.

EDIT: I meant to put this in the enclosures and supplies section. Oops!

If you tip your cage/tray assembly slightly (put something under a back corner of the setup...it doesn't take much at all) so the water runs to one corner, you can try making a hole with a large nail, scissors, or a sharp knife. It helps to heat the sharp object so it softens or melts the plastic.

I actually have almost every tool imaginable and I cut a 1 inch hole in the PVC bottom with a utility knife and a file (under 10 dollars and its always good to have utility knife and a file around anyway). Find something about the house with a 1 inch diameter, draw a circle and cut it close but rough with the knife and clean it up with the file.

A water heater tray would be even easier to put a hole in with this method. Then what you can do is buy a utility sink drain and it will screw right in, put a 5 gallon bucket under the drain and you're good.

My set up is even easier and works moderately well but I don't mind a little water on the floor. I cut the hole, put a rock over it and mounted a food storage container under the enclosure with wire (my enclosure hangs on the wall). I know I'm misting enough if the container fills up halfway each misting.

Go get your hair dryer a Lighter a phillips head screw driver and a baseball or softball (something round and sturdy)

ChamGyver is here!

Take the hair dryer and put it on high and heat up the white pvc enclosure bottom and focus mainly on the center. It will get hot and soft sooner or later, then using that round object you found push down onto the center of the tray until it bows some and hold it there till it cools. You can cool it quicker by pouring a little cold water on it.

Now your tray will drain to the center, you created a slight slope to do such.

Now Get your lighter out and phillips head screw driver. Get the tip of that screwdriver nice and HOT, once its HOT then push/twist thru the tray in center where you created the bow at. Do this 4-5 times fairly close together like a sink drain would look.

BAM! you can now stick a 5 gal bucket under and it will drain down.

Go get your hair dryer a Lighter a phillips head screw driver and a baseball or softball (something round and sturdy)

ChamGyver is here!

Take the hair dryer and put it on high and heat up the white pvc enclosure bottom and focus mainly on the center. It will get hot and soft sooner or later, then using that round object you found push down onto the center of the tray until it bows some and hold it there till it cools. You can cool it quicker by pouring a little cold water on it.

Now your tray will drain to the center, you created a slight slope to do such.

Now Get your lighter out and phillips head screw driver. Get the tip of that screwdriver nice and HOT, once its HOT then push/twist thru the tray in center where you created the bow at. Do this 4-5 times fairly close together like a sink drain would look.

BAM! you can now stick a 5 gal bucket under and it will drain down.

This is actually quite brilliant I wish I would've thought of it!

I would do this in a well ventilated or outdoor place though as there are conflicting concerns over at which point melting PVC will release toxins (or even if they really do in some cases).

ChamGyver, I'm somewhat dissapointed chewing gum and bailing twine wasn't used there somewhere :D

PS: I agree, brilliant!

Thanks for some good ideas! I have another strange problem...about a foot away from the enclosure, I have a wet spot on the carpet that keeps replenishing itself. The floor is not wet at all around it, and there is nothing dripping or splashing there. I have no idea where it's coming from, but I rent and it's going to cause mold or rot the carpet. I have no idea where it's coming from or how to fix this. Anyone else have this strange problem before?

Thanks for some good ideas! I have another strange problem...about a foot away from the enclosure, I have a wet spot on the carpet that keeps replenishing itself. The floor is not wet at all around it, and there is nothing dripping or splashing there. I have no idea where it's coming from, but I rent and it's going to cause mold or rot the carpet. I have no idea where it's coming from or how to fix this. Anyone else have this strange problem before?

Check the ceiling above, is there a bathroom or similar above or are you in an apartment? How big is the wet patch? More than likely it's coming from above, but if it's a large wet patch, then it could be coming up from below. Can you peel back the carpet at all to look at the floor underneath? Check for splashback from your enclosure, if it's a foot away then it could well be from your cham enclosure, so keep a close eye at misting time and during dripping. You could also put a dish on the wet spot and see if you catch anything.

Is it possible that your dripper might be dripping into a leaf and said leaf is directing the water out of the enclosure?

That's what my mysterious wet carpet was! About a foot in front of the enclosure. Just had to move the dripper back a bit.

Power Tool problem

Since your from Seattle, I would hit up your local Goodwill for the power tool situation. I got a full set of black n decker saw, drill, battery and charger for $20. The Seattle one is huge and has lots of selection, so you should have no problem finding a tool to fix your problem.

Back
Top Bottom