Fruits & Vegetables with a high Vitamin A content?

Ferrah88

Hello! I kinda need a bit of help here :)

I believe that Yuki is showing signs of Vitamin A deficiency (skin around the throat that looks like there's "air" or something behind it and when it goes down, her eyes become puffy instead) and would like to know some chameleon safe fruits and vegetables that would be optimal to feed her!

The reason I believe this is the cause is because on none of the Supplements we have (including the Multi-Vitamin) does NOT have any Vitamin A! We're going to the pet store tomorrow to see if they have any Vitamin supplements that have Vitamin A included, but for now I need a second alternative. Perhaps we have something in the fridge for her!

Thank you in advance :D

Note: I am not going to be feeding her a LOT with Vitamin A in it. Perhaps a bit today/tomorrow and next week to see if anything changes. If not, I need to find a new vet because it turns out that the "exotic reptile vet" in the area does not know a thing about chameleons :(

::EDIT::
Well, I just looked at her again and she looks well, normal.. that was REALLY weird. But seeing as this has been happening on and off since I got her in her new vivarium I'd like to provide her with a bit of Vitamin A, just in case. Want to make sure to gut load with a proper range of vitamins and such as well.

Fruits and vegetables don't contain pre-formed vitamin A (retinol) but rather carotene. It is not known how well, if at all, chameleons convert carotene to vitamin a (in the way humans do), nor is it known which feeder prey does this well.

Some folks have no trouble raising healthy long lived chameleons without using preformed vitamin A, others just the opposite.

If you really believe a little preformed vitamin A is needed, and you don't have a supplement that provides some, you can boil and egg and feed that to your roaches/crickets/superworms as part of the gutload, then feed those feeders off to the chameleon

Fruits and vegetables don't contain pre-formed vitamin A (retinol) but rather carotene. It is not known how well, if at all, chameleons convert carotene to vitamin a (in the way humans do), nor is it known which feeder prey does this well.

Some folks have no trouble raising healthy long lived chameleons without using preformed vitamin A, others just the opposite.

If you really believe a little preformed vitamin A is needed, and you don't have a supplement that provides some, you can boil and egg and feed that to your roaches/crickets/superworms as part of the gutload, then feed those feeders off to the chameleon

Alright, thank you sandra :) I'll check the store tomorrow to see if they have any Vitamin A in their Multi-Vitamin supplements. Should there be nothing in them, I'll check online and in a worst case boil eggs and feed as part of the gutload for her feeders :D The eggs here should be good too as we have a farm nearby where the chickens naturally run around eating bugs and all kinds of good things rather than the full corn feed they usually ge when cramped together.

Thank you again :)

::EDIT::
I do believe that, in her case, it is needed, at least to try and see if the puffy skin stops. As I mentioned before, it did stop for he time being, but this is not the first time I have seen it. After some research on the forums, whenever I saw/read about the same problem, the solution was always Vitamin A. If that doesn't help her within a couple of week or it gets worse, a vet trip will be made!

Back
Top Bottom